Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't see any mention of other problems with the X in the summary above.

AYC diff is supposedly weaker than the 8/9 diff.
People disable AYC and flash ACD for more performance anyway, so who cares about AYC? A 1.5 way diff will do wonders on an 8/9.
Evo X has the terrible PLASTIC clutch master cylinder that can't handle a strong clutch.
Evo X has differential pins in the transmission that can back out and lead to catastrophic failure on cars that are driven hard.

As far as I know the diff pin issue has NOT been resolved to date. Nor have they upgraded the clutch master cylinder for 2011/2012. Still plastic and still inferior to the IX CMC. They took care of the fuel relay issue since it obviously was the most important problem due to safety.

Last edited by acidtonic; Oct 18, 2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

^^^ Wow thanks for that info!!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would have to see one in person first. Then I would be more likley to keep my EVO and just buy the X as a second vehicle.
http://daxibeidelang.teasm.cn/Index.aspx

Old Oct 28, 2011, 09:09 AM

i have a evo 8
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:21 PM

nothing compares to the good ole 4g63
Old Nov 9, 2011, 07:32 PM

its all about the IX in my opinion. and i dont know about some of you guys but the 2010 evo's look great coming at you but once the rear end is shown its ugly. its like mitsubishi put alot of thought into to motor, tranny, and started on the front-end then gave up on the back portion.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by acidtonic
I didn't see any mention of other problems with the X in the summary above.

AYC diff is supposedly weaker than the 8/9 diff.
People disable AYC and flash ACD for more performance anyway, so who cares about AYC? A 1.5 way diff will do wonders on an 8/9.
Evo X has the terrible PLASTIC clutch master cylinder that can't handle a strong clutch.
Evo X has differential pins in the transmission that can back out and lead to catastrophic failure on cars that are driven hard.

As far as I know the diff pin issue has NOT been resolved to date. Nor have they upgraded the clutch master cylinder for 2011/2012. Still plastic and still inferior to the IX CMC. They took care of the fuel relay issue since it obviously was the most important problem due to safety.
I'm pretty sure they did something with the diff pins after 2010. You can get them welded in too. I'm also pretty sure They have fixes/up grades for everything you mentioned.

The x is a superior handling car from factory especially from previous usdm models.

I love the 7-9s to death but would have to be Jdm model. Preferably an fq400
Old Nov 10, 2011, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Animal04
I'm pretty sure they did something with the diff pins after 2010. You can get them welded in too. I'm also pretty sure They have fixes/up grades for everything you mentioned.
A: Do you have a source regarding the diff pins? That's news to me.
B: I know people can fix diff pins, that costs $$$.
C: I know they have upgrades to fix all the other issues. More $$$s.

We're talking about issues here. Just saying we can fix them as if that means it's not a problem is somewhat inaccurate. Anything is possible with $$$s. We're talking about what's possible without wasting dollars.

Why intentionally choose the car that needs thousands in fixes to do what the previous model did easier? The X is better at some things the IX better at others.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

mitsu dealer here wants $54k for a brand new 2011 EVO X MR
fking crazy or what?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by acidtonic
A: Do you have a source regarding the diff pins? That's news to me.
B: I know people can fix diff pins, that costs $$$.
C: I know they have upgrades to fix all the other issues. More $$$s.

We're talking about issues here. Just saying we can fix them as if that means it's not a problem is somewhat inaccurate. Anything is possible with $$$s. We're talking about what's possible without wasting dollars.

Why intentionally choose the car that needs thousands in fixes to do what the previous model did easier? The X is better at some things the IX better at others.

I'll get back to ya on the diff pins but seriously if you've put enough into to the car to over power the whole power terrain in the Evo x then it's not that big a deal to me anyway.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by taylorgang
mitsu dealer here wants $54k for a brand new 2011 EVO X MR
fking crazy or what?
yea same here, the new EVO's are 45k around here, thats freaking beyond crazy. i can buy 2 mint condition EVO IX for that price.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 04:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Lucky you guys aren't in Australia Evo X can be $70-$80,000
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

my wife has a X SE, i have a IX RS.

some notables:
5% better weight distribution to the rear in the X is very noticeable.
i like the steering in the IX better, but that is driver preference.
X is more expensive to maintain (18" tires, pads, SST trans fluid are items significantly more expensive than IX).
NVH in the X is just right.
visibility from the driver's seat is better from the IX interior; X beltline is too high.
IX is more appealing to a niche group. X appeals to a wider audience.
if both are 100% stock, the X is the better car.

both cars:
-go sideways if you want
-crush weekend-only toy cars, especially when grip is low and there are bumps in the road
-are good choices when you need one vehicle to do it all (IX is better since it has a real trunk)
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by CleverUserName
my wife has a X SE, i have a IX RS.

some notables:
5% better weight distribution to the rear in the X is very noticeable.
i like the steering in the IX better, but that is driver preference.
X is more expensive to maintain (18" tires, pads, SST trans fluid are items significantly more expensive than IX).
NVH in the X is just right.
visibility from the driver's seat is better from the IX interior; X beltline is too high.
IX is more appealing to a niche group. X appeals to a wider audience.
if both are 100% stock, the X is the better car.

both cars:
-go sideways if you want
-crush weekend-only toy cars, especially when grip is low and there are bumps in the road
-are good choices when you need one vehicle to do it all (IX is better since it has a real trunk)
you should note the ix won't go sideways on power without a really awful setup or a rear diff mod. it may not be the weight distribution in the X that you're noticing but the rear diff doing it's thing. Engine itself is actually further in front
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
you should note the ix won't go sideways on power without a really awful setup or a rear diff mod. it may not be the weight distribution in the X that you're noticing but the rear diff doing it's thing. Engine itself is actually further in front
i got my stock rear diff IX (both my first MR and the later RS) to rotate on power. it's easier to do it in more scenarios now that the RS has the TRE rear diff + ACD reflash.

as far as the weight distribution, easiest way to differentiate is at threshold braking. it becomes even more apparent when the front wheels have significant static front camber as to which wheels are really doing the braking and which car has a more involved rear.

i do love both AYC and the TRE rear diff. i also really love the ACD reflash, waaay under-rated.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX