Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2011, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would defintely rather have the X. You won't regret it, its a much better car in every way.

It handles noticibly better than the IX MR I drove, also.

The only real reason to get an IX or VIII over a X is if it is strictly for all out speed. If you want a 9 or 10 second car keep the VIII, or if you want strictly a track car....But for a car that is being used daily it is better IMO, and no slouch either. Mine will run low 12s with minimal bolt-ons and a tune, and by spring will be in the 11s.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
If your 8 is paid off, I'd keep it. I love my 10 and have never driven an 8 or 9 but sometime I wish I would have had one before due to the fact that it's such an iconic car.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by JDZNate
If your 8 is paid off, I'd keep it. I love my 10 and have never driven an 8 or 9 but sometime I wish I would have had one before due to the fact that it's such an iconic car.
This. If you don't pay anything than just keep it.

I went from an VIII to a X. I am totally happy. The VIII was lighter and actually made more power, although my X handles much better and isn't that slow with minimal mods. I DD my X and find it to be perfect even though I thought the VIII wasn't bad. I have never had a single problem and although others have had a few problems, the X is very reliable.

There are so many pros and cons to both that it really comes down to what is important to you personally. I would test drive one and see what you think. Keep in mind though that a completely stock '08 will be MUCH slower than your Evo. The stock tune on the '08 Evos sucks so bad. Just with an exhaust and tune it is a completely different car. GL!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

I traded my 9 for my X and would never go back. Love the X. More comfortable, looks better, still has good power and modability.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 06:06 PM

keep it!
Old Dec 5, 2011, 08:23 PM
Evolving Member

I've owned both & put a decent amount of miles on both. If you want a dedicated track car or care about drag racing keep the VIII. If you want a well balanced car that you can mod to be quick.... pull the trigger on the X. I really do not miss my VIII or regret picking up the X. The X is a nicer car & I do not care what anyone says. The X handles better for sure. The X looks better. The X has way nicer interiror. I could go on & on. The only real negatives of the X are the weight (some of this weight went into making the car handle), price of parts and how much power the internals can handle (compared to the 4g63). Go drive one & let us know what you think.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

another 8 to X owner... X all day
Old Dec 6, 2011, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Are there any X owners here in BUFFALO that will let me take a little test drive?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
IX to X here, zero regrets, you couldn't pay me to go back. The new owner of my IX even let me drive it again and I couldn't wait to get back into my X

All around, it's a better car. Better handling, makes more power on less mods, nicer interior, better creature comforts and features, etc.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

The thing about the X is that it has a brand new motor so we have to figure out the little tricks when it comes to modding it, tuning it, and building the motor. Once we figure this out (esp. tuning of the sst and awd system) i think the X will out perform the IX/VIII in everything except for drag racing since the X is a little heavier than IX/VIII. Look how far we have came from just a year and a half ago. We learned so many tricks when it comes to tuning so we can still have the power but also save our motors. Some tuners have figured out the tricks with the mivec to make a FP Red turbo spool faster than a FP Green when the Green first came out over a year ago and also learned how to get more torque using the mivecs.

The good thing about the evo 8/9 is that motor (4g) has been around for decades so most companies have that motor completely figure out. The downside to this is that the motor has an old design to it. That is where the X shines. The head on the X out flows the head on the IX/VIII. The block is lighter in the X than in the IX/VIII and once you change out the stock internals with some good aftermarket internals, the X block becomes VERY strong. Mitsbushi seemed to improve the all wheel drive system from the IX to the X too.

There is a reason why Mitsbushi called our cars the "Evolution" and my opinion to why they did this is because each newer model is a better version of the past model. Each newer model evolves from the past models but with the current (better) technology.

But this is just 2 cents.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
It is funny how peole phrasing the 03 evo 8 when the fact of the matter is the worst evo they sold in the USA so far. Massive understeer , transmission isssues ( syncros etc.)

The IX is the one can be closely compared to the X or the 05's 8.

I think " rrkpit15 " sum it up very realistic and nicely.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
It is funny how peole phrasing the 03 evo 8 when the fact of the matter is the worst evo they sold in the USA so far.

Massive understeer SIMPLE FIX add front LSD and rear diff mod

transmission isssues ( syncros etc.) UMMMM NO more like people who don't know how to drive

Massive understeer SIMPLE FIX add front LSD and rear diff mod

transmission isssues ( syncros etc.) UMMMM NO more like people who don't know how to drive
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
^Now you're talking modded vs. stock. Let's keeps this discussion apples to apples...

The VIII, IX, and especially X are all very different cars. People will have their preferences. Test drive both and decide which better suits your personality, driving style, and usage.

Last edited by Kracka; Dec 6, 2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
It is funny how peole phrasing the 03 evo 8 when the fact of the matter is the worst evo they sold in the USA so far. Massive understeer , transmission isssues ( syncros etc.)

Thank you!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Philly, Germany, Japan, UK...South Dakota (Da Sticks).......
You'll like the X. I miss my VIII but the X is a lot better...

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX