Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
X GSR comes with a 5-speed.

Yes thanks for the correction, I didnt know that till a couple days ago, when i got a ride in a friends X gsr 5 speed,

still no 4g63
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just wrecked my Evo IX on friday and will find out if its a total loss. If it is I will not get a X. Never liked the aluminum block. I have over 100k miles on my evo running on alcohol/methanol, never gave me problems, great DD. If it is totaled I'd have to go with the GTR or find another stock evo IX.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 09:52 PM

Kinda happy didnt have to deal with a decision like that! I have a g37 and just picked up a Evo x gsr about 2 months ago ilove the car but i feel like theres something missing from the car...... Cant rlly figure out what it is mabyits the lack of power?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 10:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jr_2006IXMR
I just wrecked my Evo IX on friday and will find out if its a total loss. If it is I will not get a X. Never liked the aluminum block. I have over 100k miles on my evo running on alcohol/methanol, never gave me problems, great DD. If it is totaled I'd have to go with the GTR or find another stock evo IX.

Dude..this makes me sad. I've got a GG Evo IX MR.. hope everything turns out all right.

Back onto the subject, idk if I could ever trade my IX for a newer model, just love it way to much. I mean honestly what exactly am I getting in return? A little more aesthetically pleasing interior? Better safety?

Nah, Ill stick with my IX
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:25 PM

Well, having owned both. I sold my X and picked up a IX. Despite what everyone says about the interior and the daily driving aspects of the X. I think the interior of the Evo X sucks, it feels cheaper, scratches easily, and generally feels hollow (just touch and tap it next time). The paint blows. It feels huge in the city. Rearward visibility is a leap of faith. All in all, it's not really all that satisfying to drive unless your doing illegal speeds or on a mountain road. Also, the whole time I felt like the car was built from glass, it always felt like something was going to break. Good things? Um, the HID lights were great. That's my 2cents. I've always loved Evos but after the experience of the X, I'll stick to the old school version.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Topshot
Well, having owned both. I sold my X and picked up a IX. Despite what everyone says about the interior and the daily driving aspects of the X. I think the interior of the Evo X sucks, it feels cheaper, scratches easily, and generally feels hollow (just touch and tap it next time). The paint blows. It feels huge in the city. Rearward visibility is a leap of faith. All in all, it's not really all that satisfying to drive unless your doing illegal speeds or on a mountain road. Also, the whole time I felt like the car was built from glass, it always felt like something was going to break. Good things? Um, the HID lights were great. That's my 2cents. I've always loved Evos but after the experience of the X, I'll stick to the old school version.
lol
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:02 PM

I currently DD a TB evo 8 Gsr and I've driven a couple ix's. I've yet to drive a X unfortunately....I wonder what its like. I love my 8 though
Old Apr 29, 2012, 11:00 PM
Evolved Member

Honestly I been in the 8 when I was chilling with my friend who had one waaaay before I gained interest in it. I then got to sit in it was something definitely to behold in its glory. The 8 until was agressive for it when I had no idea about awd cars back then and really didnt care for it. The 9 was more aggressive too with its stance even though I couldn't realize it was a decent car and I just didnt have the money to buy one because it was soo much.

The x I liked it until the point I sat in it it lacked the comfortable car feel to me the gsr felt too generic and lacked the orginal feel like they took the time to make the interior instead of slapping it together. Im sure the motor on the x can produce alot of power. But instead I went with the 9 for one its in between doesnt have the lacky feel as the 8 but the originality is still there more than the 10.

The pita ACD should keep anyone busy. One things for sure though if I can help it noone is touching my car and I have a list for who those people are who claim that they are good at rebuilds or maintenance and they are really not good at what they do.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

I upgraded from an VIII to a X, no regrets

I loved my 8 while it was stock. Each morning was easy to go to work because I looked forward to driving my car (2 blocks) to work. Once I started doing performance mods is when my love for the car started going downhill. For the past 2 years I dumped about 25K into my 8 and ultimately I wasn't happy the entire time. I felt overwhelmed with the amount of $$$ I had into it and felt I had to keep it. Almost every day I was depressed knowing I had owed money on something I didn't care about.

Back in February I had a friend with an X MR who expressed interest in buying my 8. At that point the wheels started turning. I was able to drive his MR and was honestly very impressed and it felt like a very nice car to drive. It wasn't anywhere close to the power my 8 had, but it was a more practical daily driver.

At that point I started getting serious about making a change. I was originally looking for used X's, but no WW MR's were showing up near me. Just over 2 weeks ago I decided to do a search for new cars and by dumb luck a 2011 WW MR in my budget showed up very close to me. I test drove it the next day which was a Monday. I definitely liked the car, but didn't want to rush my decision. I thought about it all week and made my decision. That Saturday I traded in my 8 and left with the X MR.

It feels so good to get into a car that you enjoy. You truly can't explain it. It took me a bit to realize this was reality so that's why I didn't post until now.

I'm sure it's a corny post to many, but I wanted to post something positive for a change. I absolutely love the car. It has a 10 year 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. It will ONLY use OEM fluids and will NEVER get a power mod done to it.

There is a lot of WW X's driving around so people are probably sick of seeing them, haha. I'll include a picture anyway.

-Brian
Attached Thumbnails Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX-evo-x.jpg  
Old May 2, 2012, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

I know the feeling. I had a 2006 Evo IX that I modded heavily. I was in love with my car. Someone plowed into the back of me and totaled it and I wound up with a 2010 Audi A4 because they didn't sell Evo's in Germany. I liked my Audi, but it just wasn't for me. Every performance mod was just disappointing. I spent a lot of money to get it to the performance level of a stock Evo IX. I recently traded it in for a 2012 Evo X and I don't regret it at all.
Old May 2, 2012, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats on the switch! That's one long commute you have
Old May 2, 2012, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Well I can't say I'm one to leave a car entirely stock, but I certainly won't be dumping 25k into a daily driver either.

I totally understand the feeling of getting rid of a manual for a nice comfortable (and better performing) SST though!
Old May 2, 2012, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Old May 2, 2012, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

The WW is, IMO, the best color for the X. But man I swear Mitsu is making way to many of them though. I would have got a MR if I could have afforded it. Well I could have afforded it, but didnt want a payment that high. I bought a stripped down GSR.

I like your choice though. The sunroof and the blacked out vents. I would get rid of the chrome accent. And I wish they had the spoiler option for the MR. Nice choice though. And $25k spent on your older Evo is crazy. You sir, have an addiction.
Old May 2, 2012, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Oh and by the way...

Originally Posted by Hardware
...and will NEVER get a power mod done to it.

-Brian

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX