Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardware
I should walk, I'm just that pathetic. lol.

It wasn't by choice though. Stock motor threw a rod. I decided to build the motor/head at near $14K. It was not a good daily driver for me. Mechanically it worked and drove great. More than enough power for me. It was loud, I was getting sick of manual and always worried what would break next.

That's where I was. Paid the car off 2 months ago and it had 405hp MD, but I simply wasn't happy. Getting into another loan doesn't bother me because the payment is $100 lower than what I had for the 8 and the piece of mind knowing I'm covered under a warranty is comforting.

To each his own. I'm not saying modding is stupid, but for me it was. I never got any satisfaction out of it.
I got satisfaction out of modding but when it mix up with other priorities like family and work it's not fun. Especially when you have to worry about the next part that's gonna fail and how much more money down the drain.

Good job on the MR and making the decision to stay stock.
Old May 2, 2012, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Hardware, I think about the spoiler more and more I do agree that it gives the EVO a personality I like the lip but sometimes I miss the look of the high spoiler, however I think that it helps in keeping the PO PO out of my way. I think that they dont look twice, but if i had the spoiler it would catch their attention.
Old May 2, 2012, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jossue
Hardware, I think about the spoiler more and more I do agree that it gives the EVO a personality I like the lip but sometimes I miss the look of the high spoiler, however I think that it helps in keeping the PO PO out of my way. I think that they dont look twice, but if i had the spoiler it would catch their attention.
I think Mitsu should have kept the high wing as an option on the MR. I really like the high spoiler look. I do agree it will attract more attention. Not just from cops, but the ricers alike. As for cops though, once they see my DV plates they usually back off and go around me.

Just as there are people like me who like the high wing, there are people who like the wingless look. Maybe you can try to trade trunks with someone who might want to go wingless and has a WW.
Old May 2, 2012, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Congrats on the new ride but...For sure not an upgrade in anyway shape or form over your old car besides being an automatic that's easy to daily drive. Just wondering why you didn't look into getting a 335XI if you wanted a nice daily with some pop? The BMW would be a ton better for the commute, comes with a much better warranty even if it's not as long ( A 10/100 warranty from Mitsubishi on an Evo) and all your service would have been taken care of for the next 3 years. Unless I missed something and you got a crazy good deal on the MR then you were pretty close to 335 price bracket.

Not trying to hate, just trying to think logical for what you're saying you got the MR for.
Old May 2, 2012, 04:13 PM

How did you get a brand new 2011 MR Touring with black hood and fender vents? Unless it wasn't new?
Old May 2, 2012, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

^^Are asking if it came like that from factory? Remember Only 2010 MR Models had the "Touring" name and came stock with everything on them the only option was nav or no nav.
Old May 2, 2012, 04:40 PM

congrat on the car! more practical trade
Old May 3, 2012, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by Jossue
^^Are asking if it came like that from factory? Remember Only 2010 MR Models had the "Touring" name and came stock with everything on them the only option was nav or no nav.
I'm asking how did he get black hood vents and fender vents on a non-base MR model. 2010-2012 have Touring packages. I was going to get my MR with touring package and its 2011, and if you look on mitsubishicars.com you can see the 2012 has the touring package available as well. As far as I know, only base model 2011-2012 MRs have non-chrome and black hood vents and black fender vents. His model is obviously a touring model since he has a sunroof.
Old May 3, 2012, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jdlewh
Congrats on the new ride but...For sure not an upgrade in anyway shape or form over your old car besides being an automatic that's easy to daily drive. Just wondering why you didn't look into getting a 335XI if you wanted a nice daily with some pop? The BMW would be a ton better for the commute, comes with a much better warranty even if it's not as long ( A 10/100 warranty from Mitsubishi on an Evo) and all your service would have been taken care of for the next 3 years. Unless I missed something and you got a crazy good deal on the MR then you were pretty close to 335 price bracket.

Not trying to hate, just trying to think logical for what you're saying you got the MR for.
If you don't consider it an upgrade that's cool. I went from not happy at all to completely happy, that's an upgrade to me.

Are you talking about my 2 small town blocks of a commute? : P

I never considered a 335XI. I'm not a fan of BMW and to be honest you made me feel better about my purchase price. They are not even close to the same price, easily over $10,000 difference.

Originally Posted by NeoGohan
I'm asking how did he get black hood vents and fender vents on a non-base MR model. 2010-2012 have Touring packages. I was going to get my MR with touring package and its 2011, and if you look on mitsubishicars.com you can see the 2012 has the touring package available as well. As far as I know, only base model 2011-2012 MRs have non-chrome and black hood vents and black fender vents. His model is obviously a touring model since he has a sunroof.
I believe you are getting the touring package confused with the premium package. The premium package on the 2011 would have given me the body colored vents. I actually do have the premium package on the car, but I asked the dealer if they would swap vents with a used GSR on the lot. They did it for me. I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on vents right after buying the car.
Old May 3, 2012, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Hardware
I believe you are getting the touring package confused with the premium package. The premium package on the 2011 would have given me the body colored vents. I actually do have the premium package on the car, but I asked the dealer if they would swap vents with a used GSR on the lot. They did it for me. I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on vents right after buying the car.
Thats awesome. The black vents make the car look much better. This is ofcourse my personal opinion. Thats cool the dealership agreed to do that for you. To bad you couldnt get them to switch trunks so you could have the wing also. Then you would have the ultimate MR. Again, IMO. Congrats either way.

Last edited by Kendogg; May 3, 2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old May 3, 2012, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

That makes sense, I was just explaining that after 2010 the MR models were made so that you had to chose the premium and touring packages. With the 2010 MR there wasn't an option it was just base MR or MR Touring. Either way It looks Awesome.
Old May 3, 2012, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

And the first hater is... DING DING DING
Old May 3, 2012, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

( A 10/100 warranty from Mitsubishi on an Evo)
I did want to clarify the warranty is a third party called Zurich.

Originally Posted by Kendogg
Thats awesome. The black vents make the car look much better. This is ofcourse my personal opinion. Thats cool the dealership agreed to do that for you. To bad you couldnt get them to switch trunks so you could have the wing also. Then you would have the ultimate MR. Again, IMO. Congrats either way.
I actually tried for the Trunk with the Wing, it was a no go. LOL. Although not as expensive the vents were more important than the wing so I was happy. I do like the lip, just takes getting use to no shelf on the back of the car.
Old May 3, 2012, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

Old May 3, 2012, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

I had 2 evo 8s one 800hp and other 450hp. I was never a big fan of the evo x till i got the chance to drive one, so i traded my 335i for 08 gsr and wow I love this car.
Drives great, and huge upgrade from evo 8s. I had my 335i for almost 3 years, and i would take evo x over any bmw.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX