Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2012, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by sstevojr
Sometimes the VIII/IX owners need to feel vindicated; IX owners have a leg to stand on, VIII owners have none, the X is just better in every way. The stigma is mostly gone, but still lingers as can be seen from a couple of posters.
Great car OP!
I don't need to feel anything. I could buy easily finance a new X anytime.

Driven a few and honestly I can say I could never give up my VIII for a X. I would own both, but if I had to pick I'll stick with the CT9A thanks.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:48 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
So sick of the CT9A nutswingers, the ignorance, and their hate.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool story my WW brother...I, too, traded in my VIII for a X...

I had similar reasons as you did (other than dropping 25K into it!) - love for the car wasn't there mostly...when shopping for a new ride, I tried the ralliart to see how the SST is - and I just felt like I was driving a regular car, even with the PS3 paddles, it really didn't elevate the feel of the car for me...But, when I test drove the GSR...that was pretty much it...needless to say, I'm probably going to keep it stock for as long as I can as well - having a new car with warranty feels awesome...btw, how the heck did you score a 100K/ 10yr warranty?
Old May 6, 2012, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
No hate or nutswinging going on here whatsoever I like the X it has def grown on me a lot since 2007/2008. I've driven the X, a few now actually so I'm not ignorant regarding the car at all.

Though if "I", "ME" had the two side by side I'll take the VIII/IX every time as they are my preference in the USDM EVO platform.
Old May 6, 2012, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fimer
My son has an x. I don't know to get an x or a ix
Both my son and I have 2011 GSR's. Bought them 3 weeks apart. He bought his first and I sold a built 2007 Civic Si. I really wanted to find a clean IX, but couldn't find a decent one. So, I ended up buying a new X instead. I love them both. Had I been able to buy a brand new IX, I would have done so, but alas, the only ones in the country were those 50K jobs at South Coast Mitsubishi I believe. Either way, you will be happy.
Old May 6, 2012, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
+1 it's BEEN old, especially the new (young guys). everything that's needed to be said has been said. intellectual debates are one thing, but no one cares that you want to keep your 8/9 forever

it's not like i enjoy threads going the other way like this one, but it doesn't mean 8/9 owners have to come in defending their car..

Last edited by kyoo; May 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old May 6, 2012, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing but love for all Evos. You are going to get the attention of CT9A guys with that thread title.
Old May 6, 2012, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

tbh i think the biggest advantage the x has over the ct9a today, given everything like acd tuning and rear diff etc, isn't the s-awc+ayc or necessarily it's chassis but the pure fact that it has a wider track and can run much wider wheels without any major cutting/modification.

i think the rest of the advantages for the X are pretty much neutralized with what's available for the IX today. the electronic wizardry in the X isn't matched by what's available for the IX today, but I think it's pretty damn close. ACD tunes are (or will be soon) available for both cars eventually, but AYC tuning is still a touchy subject in my mind - especially given that there are points where the X can oversteer TOO much from the AYC - and oversteer can be as slow as understeer, if not slower, which people don't really think of.

IX has a lot of points of weakness that can be addressed that the X doesn't. The X still benefits from some of these (mainly thinking of bushings), but the marginal improvement for IXs is greater, because of a worse starting point.

who can really say in the end. it'd be nice if someone had the $$ to compare mod by mod a IX and X - i don't see how that wouldn't put this to bed
Old May 6, 2012, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey can you evo 8 and 9 gurus explain what you mean by "more raw"?

The X is just as raw as any evo, except it hides the "rawness" cleverly with comfort and more daily drive-ability, does not mean the car is any less "raw" are you basically saying your buying an 8 or 9 because you like to pretend its a race car even when its stock?

I just don't understand, if you want to make high horsepower you need nothing except MONEY. If your rich, you can make an X go just as fast as an IX. No car is RELIABLE once the motor is built I think alot of people are forgetting that built motors arent supposed to last you for years like a tested and designed stock motor lol. It kills me that people still don't understand a built motor at high hp will last you only about a year or 2 depending on how you drive and many other factors ofcoarse (so don't be all like IM MAKING BLAH BLAH BLAH for this many years theres many other factors.)

A built motor is supposed to efficiently hold a high power level, but its not supposed to do it for prolonged amounts of time (years) or for daily driving.

Call me crazy but thats what I believe :/
Old May 6, 2012, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

plenty of rich folks have built both 8 9 and 10s...but sierra and cyber evo still dominate time attack...and drag race 8 9s have gone faster...9s doninate scca solo as well... that said ive owned both and the 10 is a better daily for sure...but the 9 goes to the track...
Old May 6, 2012, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by doc29
plenty of rich folks have built both 8 9 and 10s...but sierra and cyber evo still dominate time attack...and drag race 8 9s have gone faster...9s doninate scca solo as well... that said ive owned both and the 10 is a better daily for sure...but the 9 goes to the track...
i don't think looking at those cars says anything for regular owners, besides maybe extreme extreme limits of chassis - but even that you can barely claim, those cars are too ridiculous.

back in 09 there was a tt-a evo x dominating, last year there was a tt-a ix dominating.. those are much more reasonable cars to look at for most owners
Old May 7, 2012, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by akemi27
Cool story my WW brother...I, too, traded in my VIII for a X...

I had similar reasons as you did (other than dropping 25K into it!) - love for the car wasn't there mostly...when shopping for a new ride, I tried the ralliart to see how the SST is - and I just felt like I was driving a regular car, even with the PS3 paddles, it really didn't elevate the feel of the car for me...But, when I test drove the GSR...that was pretty much it...needless to say, I'm probably going to keep it stock for as long as I can as well - having a new car with warranty feels awesome...btw, how the heck did you score a 100K/ 10yr warranty?
It was offered through the dealership by a 3rd party called Zurich. It "had" a $100 deductible up until about a month ago, but their policy changed and there is no deductible at this point. You might pay a diagnostics fee depending on the problem. I've yet to receive the full paperwork in the mail so I'm not exactly sure of any stipulations.

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
No hate or nutswinging going on here whatsoever I like the X it has def grown on me a lot since 2007/2008. I've driven the X, a few now actually so I'm not ignorant regarding the car at all.

Though if "I", "ME" had the two side by side I'll take the VIII/IX every time as they are my preference in the USDM EVO platform.
I guess I could have made the subject something else to avoid upsetting any VIII/IX owners, but this is in the X forum so I felt it wasn't a big deal. You have to come into this forum (which means you have interest) in order to see it.

If I wanted to race and be serous about it, I would have kept my 8. I wanted a daily driver that was comfortable, reliable and FUN to drive.

I don't think ANYONE can say the X is better than the VIII/IX as a whole. Seriously they are two totally different cars. As for my opinion, I love this friggen car.
Old May 7, 2012, 07:34 AM

Evo X is definitely a better daily driver i think that what Mitsubishi was going for becuase of their sales going down.
Old May 7, 2012, 07:53 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Are you guys kidding me? Are we really having this discussion AGAIN?! CT9A guys GET OVER IT! If you don't like it, don't come in the section. It isn't a huge request. We don't need your constant bickering. Trying to justify your purchase, why you dumped $xxk into your car, or your opinion.

End of the day, the X posts as fast or faster lap times in most cases. If you can't accept that by 2012, then don't bother having a discussion about it.
Old May 7, 2012, 08:31 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by jdlewh
Congrats on the new ride but...For sure not an upgrade in anyway shape or form over your old car besides being an automatic that's easy to daily drive. Just wondering why you didn't look into getting a 335XI if you wanted a nice daily with some pop? The BMW would be a ton better for the commute, comes with a much better warranty even if it's not as long ( A 10/100 warranty from Mitsubishi on an Evo) and all your service would have been taken care of for the next 3 years. Unless I missed something and you got a crazy good deal on the MR then you were pretty close to 335 price bracket.

Not trying to hate, just trying to think logical for what you're saying you got the MR for.
I tried to avoid replying to this post, but I can't. Trainwreck posts like this make me ill.

How is the X any more luxury or nice daily driver than the IX? Because it has cruise control? LOL! I could use the same goofy logic, watch: Ooh, the CT9A has a rear wiper, it's LUXURY.

A 335xi is an open diff family car with not an inch of performance in anything other than straight line mod potential. An MR is a proper track tool.

A viscous center diff 2003 Evo VIII doesn't compare to a new MR at all stock to stock on track. I'm pretty sure I owned one for 55k miles.

I'd like to apologize to the OP because we can't keep the thread intact sans drama, so it's about to get merged here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-ix-merge.html

I'm just leaving this up for a few hours so you don't think I nuked your thread.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX