Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by tellme718
Not sure why you keep referring to the initial method of purchase I chose to obtain the vehicle. It's completely irrelevant to the subject. Your just trying find anything to enforce your personal attacks. Pathetic.

I never said that was the first manufacturer to develop and incorporate dual clutch. Please read what I wrote slowly and try to grasp the concept.

Whine or simply calling it by its name?

LMAO
lol it was a whine - the entire thing is semantics. when some people refer to an "automatic" transmission they're referring to a broad group of transmissions which shift for you automatically. when you refer to automatic, you're referring to a torque converter. If we called it a torque converter I'd understand your need to jump in and say nonono it's a dual clutch, but not if someone calls it an automatic.. that's just ego - no one ever mistook this for a torque converter - we all know it's a dual clutch.

No one here has bashed the dual clutch, unless you consider referring to it as an "automatic" as bashing... It is a much faster shifter than any human (because it shifts for you...) Like I said, it's an ego thing - car guys don't like being associated with "automatics" and always feel the need to justify it, as you did in your first post about the matter

PS...

I agree with closing this thread. Evo X guys aren't even replying to the 9/8 fanatics because there is no point. They will always deny the truth. #Lame

Close thread.
What "truth" are the Evo 8/9 fanatics denying? Creature comforts, check for X. Daily driver, check for X. Better track car, check for X. Better overall car, check for X. Better drivers car, lean to 8/9. Better autox car, 8/9. I've asked very good and completely unbiased drivers how they've felt and they'll pretty much agree with these points. ?? No one is bashing the X or dual clutch or your purchase... the term "better" car is completely subjective depending on what the driver is looking for...

Last edited by kyoo; Oct 25, 2012 at 05:43 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ask a guy that has worked on these things, has driven a bunch of 8's, 9's, and 10's, with varying degrees of modifications on all of them, and also has decent amount of seat time to discern between handling dynamics and he'll tell you which he prefers.

The answer would be the CT9A chassis with nice diff's installed.

The 10 feels like a good handling Accord with more kick in it. Some people like that. I'm not going to fault them on that.

I plan to eventually purchase a couple more Evo's later on, and they'll all be CT9A's.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i think you should pick the one you can get a better deal on it. Make sure the car is in a VERY good condition.
Based on your question, which is indicates a used car buy.

I hade some evos before. In the USA since early 2004 i had the VIII- IX - and now i have a X. I used them all over a year, and i raced all of them also dd drive them too.

In my opinion , it is all deppends what you want from the car. All evo can be made a beast and a raw car. What also you can do but much harder, to make them more comfortable better daily driver. Also the weight is not an issue terms in drive feeling and handling with a X.

If you want a stricly daily driver , i would go for a X only.
If you do a mix, then as i said its all about the budget you have, and what type of racing you want to do.
for racing:
If you want drag, i would get a cheapest VIII RS and build a car. AutoX and so i think the IX is a great choice. Track I would go for the X.

But as i said, basically boils down to your budget.

Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 25, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
Fascinating logic. I mean, citing track numbers in a vacuum, while claiming their lack of relevance in the real world.

Makes sense; the CT9A certainly was not available with an automatic, nor could you have opted for a lease, as you did with your X. Whether you realize it or not, the X was met with so much disdain from the Evolution community resulting in such dismal sales that its MY09 was nonexistent, and Mitsu began offering lease deals to move the cars off the lots.

Which statement?

Wrong ... But not with a fancy flappy sifhter. It was offered with a good old full automatic transmission. And some even came in a stationwagon form.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 25, 2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Originally Posted by FJF
...but, but...are the women intrigued?

I'm 49.
Some are. Some aren't. I pull my IX se into a grocery store parking lot and a college-aged couple stop and stare. The guy came up to me and said "dude, my girlfriend loves your car...."

Go figure. Anyway, I didn't buy it to get girls.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyoo
lol it was a whine - the entire thing is semantics. when some people refer to an "automatic" transmission they're referring to a broad group of transmissions which shift for you automatically. when you refer to automatic, you're referring to a torque converter. If we called it a torque converter I'd understand your need to jump in and say nonono it's a dual clutch, but not if someone calls it an automatic.. that's just ego - no one ever mistook this for a torque converter - we all know it's a dual clutch.

No one here has bashed the dual clutch, unless you consider referring to it as an "automatic" as bashing... It is a much faster shifter than any human (because it shifts for you...) Like I said, it's an ego thing - car guys don't like being associated with "automatics" and always feel the need to justify it, as you did in your first post about the matter

PS...

What "truth" are the Evo 8/9 fanatics denying? Creature comforts, check for X. Daily driver, check for X. Better track car, check for X. Better overall car, check for X. Better drivers car, lean to 8/9. Better autox car, 8/9. I've asked very good and completely unbiased drivers how they've felt and they'll pretty much agree with these points. ?? No one is bashing the X or dual clutch or your purchase... the term "better" car is completely subjective depending on what the driver is looking for...
You seem easier to communicate with than others on this thread.

Hey, I love the 8/9. I really do. Since jump street. I wish I actually had an 06 MR in my garage now in addition to my X. As far as the transmission goes what gets my gears grinding(pun intended) is when the term automatic is used as a form of insult. Referring to it as the automatic you would find in their mom's 89 Nissan Cressida is disrepectful to the owner and Evo X owners all over. I know it's an "Automatic" in layman terms but if you actually drive it for more than an hour in city traffic you will realize that it is in-fact a manual gearbox internally.

How do I feel the Evo X is better? You named many

Daily Driver - X
Styling - X, Love the 8/9 but the X is just more refined, you can see took more time for the design layout of the car than its predecessors.
Features - X
Track - X
Autocross - Toss up
Rawness - 8/9
Trunk - 8/9
MPG - Both suck FML
Tuneability - Same at this stage of the the Evo X career

But at the end of the day beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I love the 8/9 but I wouldn't exchange my X for any of its predecessors.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
Wrong ... But not with a fancy flappy sifhter. It was offered with a good old full automatic transmission. And some even came in a stationwagon form.

Classic Rob. Forgot about the red headed step child.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 10:22 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
At the risk of sounding equally pedantic, neither was imported here. Kinda obvious, don't ya think?

...the red headed step child.
The drag racing folks might disagree. Honestly, you wouldn't get nearly as many laughs if you knew WTF you were talking about.

Last edited by FJF; Oct 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

I'm just going to say what everyone is thinking.

How do I feel the Evo X is better? You named many

Daily Driver - X
Styling - X, Love the 8/9 but the X is just more refined, you can see took more time for the design layout of the car than its predecessors.
Features - X
Track - X
Autocross - Toss up
Rawness - 8/9
Trunk - 8/9
MPG - Both suck FML
Tuneability - Same at this stage of the the Evo X career

But at the end of the day beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I love the 8/9 but I wouldn't exchange my X for any of its predecessors.
Stying is subjective, you even said so yourself in your last sentence. Track? Time trial events still see 8's and 9's dominating.

The Evo is a performance car. It was built as a homologation special so Mitsubishi could use it to race. That was the reason for it's existence. That spirit carried true until the 10. Mitsubishi even states that they were changing directions with the 10.

Everyone here is arguing that a 10 is not a real Evo. You're arguing that the 10 is your preferred Evo because of the additional features and comfort. We're arguing apples and oranges.

In my opinion, for a razor sharp sports car, you can't beat an Evo 8 or 9. For a sporty car with features and luxury, you can't beat a 335i.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with closing this thread. Evo X guys aren't even replying to the 9/8 fanatics because there is no point. They will always deny the truth. #Lame

Close thread.
Truth?

Opinions are opinions.. Nothing more.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:56 PM

i would stick to the IX..i personally think they look beautiful! i wish i would of gotten a IX instead of a evo 8. haha
Old Oct 26, 2012, 12:39 AM

To me, bringing "interior comfort and luxuries" into this argument is like bringing gas mileage, trunk space, or towing capabilities into it. Who cares? Who buys an Evo for interior comforts? That's what my wife's car is for. Evo IX FTW
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
At the risk of sounding equally pedantic, neither was imported here. Kinda obvious, don't ya think?

The drag racing folks might disagree. Honestly, you wouldn't get nearly as many laughs if you knew WTF you were talking about.
Has nothing to do with a fact, the ct9a chassis offered an automatic which you stated they dont....
just keep the facts straight. Also i might add the fact about the stationwagon trim.
You guys bring up the the direction which "supposidly" the X started,whichis too much daily driver oriented.... which is absolutely false. All evo had a trim line which was aimed for dd. And all of them was inline the given area mid class cars trend. Nothing changed, period.
Also the X is offer tge RS line wich is absolutely a same trim as any CT9A rs.

So please keep the ideas and beilives at home when we talking about " negatives" certain trims.
Besides trully how many evo is in the forum used racing only??? So from there the true race car etc is just moot. If you need a true race car any evo is capable to do that. only deppends on your budget, end of story.

Rob

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 26, 2012 at 04:00 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:12 AM

Test drive the X, because its based on your preference. My preference is IX all the way
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
I'm just going to say what everyone is thinking.

Stying is subjective, you even said so yourself in your last sentence. Track? Time trial events still see 8's and 9's dominating.

The Evo is a performance car. It was built as a homologation special so Mitsubishi could use it to race. That was the reason for it's existence. That spirit carried true until the 10. Mitsubishi even states that they were changing directions with the 10.

Everyone here is arguing that a 10 is not a real Evo. You're arguing that the 10 is your preferred Evo because of the additional features and comfort. We're arguing apples and oranges.

In my opinion, for a razor sharp sports car, you can't beat an Evo 8 or 9. For a sporty car with features and luxury, you can't beat a 335i.
Please elaborate how the 8/9 is "DOMINATING, DOMINATING" the Evo X?
Stock for stock they are pretty equal with the 8/9 at a slight advantage ONLY due to its 300-400 pound weight difference.

And last time I checked my window sticker it said Evolution. Anyone who says it not a "REAL" Evo is just as ignorant as the people who say the 8/9 dominates the X. Lol.

And for a sports car the you can't beat a 8/9? Bro I can think of at several cars that would "DOMINATE" the Evo stock for stock. Please don't make these statements you sound ridiculous and uneducated. Theres an entire world of cars out there.

Has nothing to do with a fact, the ct9a chassis offered an automatic which you stated they dont....
just keep the facts straight. Also i might add the fact about the stationwagon trim.
You guys bring up the the direction which "supposidly" the X started,whichis too much daily driver oriented.... which is absolutely false. All evo had a trim line which was aimed for dd. And all of them was inline the given area mid class cars trend. Nothing changed, period.
Also the X is offer tge RS line wich is absolutely a same trim as any CT9A rs.

So please keep the ideas and beilives at home when we talking about " negatives" certain trims.
Besides trully how many evo is in the forum used racing only??? So from there the true race car etc is just moot. If you need a true race car any evo is capable to do that. only deppends on your budget, end of story.

Rob
Owned

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX