Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2013, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just traded in my wifes evo X se. Now, for the se, I didnt like it. We got it for her since it was auto. We now both drive 25+ miles a day to work, so the X had to go and she has a new Camry se now lol.

I dont know if a manual evo X would be any more comfortable? I didnt lik the way I sat in the auto, never could get comfrotable, but driving a 5 spdmight change that.

Yesterday, I came across the 311rs though. MY GOD!! I really want one of these. Unfortunately, there is only 2 spots left to put a deposit on. Ryan Gates is only building 11 of these cars, and man I would love to have one. Its a complete package for the street and track.

So now, I will admit, I am really gonna try and drive a 5spd X and see if I like it. Maybe I will sell my 9 and get one.

I do love the X's bigger, wider body. I love a lot about them, just gotta see if I can get comfortable in the 5spd 10 as opposed to the se auto.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 07:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im Thinking of buying a X for DD and keeping my VIII as a weekend warrior. I cant see myself getting rid of VIII.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I've driven a couple X GSR's. 1 complete stock at a dealer that's long since boarded up and one with a couple mods and AP OTS Flash.

Meh, I can't say that I was impressed at all really. Def did not blow me away.

Interior is still cheap, and my VIII shifts way better IMO

Like I said I may pick up a used specimen down the line. My guess is X's prices will not hold the value of the CT9A counterparts but that's just opinion so we'll see.

In other words if I couldn't get one in good shape down the line for for mid to upper teen I don't see myself ever owning one. And I'm just fine with that LOL

There are many other cars I'd feel better owning that is for sure.

But my VIII will never leave my side
Old Nov 10, 2013, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

You guys are awesome. I've been on the fences but can't let go of my VIII EVEN WITH IT SHIITY BLACK MITSUBISHI PAINT that makes me cringe. I'm also thinking trading for an IX. the X guys seem to have some sort of superiority feel about themselves, not all but that's what I'm noticing. Hard to let go of the car that I fell In love with as a kid.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

I love my 8 the X just doesnt do it for me. If I had to do it again I would choose a 9 just because of the mivec but honestly 4g63>4b11
Old Nov 10, 2013, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meckert
+10 on this, wouldnt drive a X.

As opposed to one of the other previous posts--there is nothing cheap about the VIII--not even remotely.

Couldn't agree more. They are not cheap, not by a long shot. You wanna build something fast for cheap, buy a civic, (I know, I work on them everyday). You wanna go fast in something that is meant to be driven on the edge and can handle the abuse and ask for more, buy an Evo. I love the 05 I have now and I loved the 03 I got the day they hit the states. Wouldn't sit in a X if the salesman paid me to. Just not my style. Mitsu shouldn't have gone that way with styling, imo. Vegas, stay with your 8 bro, you'll be happier in the long run.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i dont really like the Evo X the VIII and XI looks more aggressive IMO
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Location: Driving ten under in the passing lane, right turn signal on at all times.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as I am concerned, the VIII/IX are more luxurious than what I want in a car. The X? No way.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:38 PM

Keep the 8, buy a 10 if you like. But I wouldn't ever let go of my evo9 let alone for a 10.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

I have both an 8 and a 10 and I feel like most of the people commenting here are just biased. I love both cars and both are pretty heavily modified I love the shifting and just general raw feeling the 8 gives me but even with mullerized jics and sticky tires its no match for my x around the track. Imo if you want to build a monster get an 8 if yoy get a 9 you have to get rid of the acd, as for mivec once you hit high hp mivec starts to lose its edge. If you want something comfortable that you can get decent hp out of get a 10. The 9 is has just never been my cup of tea its just not as good as all the fan boys think, in japan and euro market yes the 9 rules its amazing and probably the best evo but in the U.S imo the 8 is better. Again this is my 2 cents I dont mean to offend anyone
Old Nov 10, 2013, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adog
I have both an 8 and a 10 and I feel like most of the people commenting here are just biased. I love both cars and both are pretty heavily modified I love the shifting and just general raw feeling the 8 gives me but even with mullerized jics and sticky tires its no match for my x around the track. Imo if you want to build a monster get an 8 if yoy get a 9 you have to get rid of the acd, as for mivec once you hit high hp mivec starts to lose its edge. If you want something comfortable that you can get decent hp out of get a 10. The 9 is has just never been my cup of tea its just not as good as all the fan boys think, in japan and euro market yes the 9 rules its amazing and probably the best evo but in the U.S imo the 8 is better. Again this is my 2 cents I dont mean to offend anyone
I have an 05 so I already have acd. The X is a better handling car. But to me that's all it has over the older gens. Styling? Depends, I think a stock 8/9 is timeless, classic, just like the older Evos. To me the stock X is boring especially rear. I do want one though, but they're not putting out the power the 8/9 are. Peoples argue its only cause it hasn't been out as long I'm not buying it, look at the number the gtr is putting out and it hasn't been here long. I would love a DD X
Old Nov 10, 2013, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

I just sold my x had 650 whp and going back to a 8 but a RS
X for newer type car but why did we all buy a Evo in the first place to have fun go fast, it's just a personal preference mine is old school
Old Nov 10, 2013, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For those of you that think the Evolution X's are not agressive looking, quick or worthy of buying, you must be joking.

I had no choice but to get a new X, since my 2004 SSL Evo VIII was stolen a few months back.

So I went to the dealer and got a X MR.

With the Touring, Premium and Interior packages. Heavy car [ Luxury Liner].

The car has 1600 miles, took it to the track last week. Put it on the scales.

With me in it and 3\4 tank of premium gas, it weighted at 3,800 lbs. The outside temperature was 75 degrees.

The car made 3 runs. 1] 13.37@102.34 2] 13.50@101.98 I manually shifted 1st to 2nd and hit the rev limiter. 3] 13.344@101.73. 60 fts all 1.900's worse 1.94.

By comparison, my Evo VIII was 3,500 lbs. with me in it [SSL package].

On the VIII, first track run back in 2004 it went 14.1, 14.0, 13.9's at 95-97 mph in the 1/4.

The VIII would not trap over 77 mph in the 1/8 stock.

The X at 300 lbs. more, is trapping about 82 mph in the 1/8 stock now.

In my opinion, after owning the VIII for 9 years, driving it 102,000 miles, 2 engine builds, I like my new X as much as the old VIII.

And my VIII made 567 whp and 523 tq. and went 11.1@124 mph. So it was a fun car.

If they both were avaliable at the same time when new, I would choose the X MR. No question about it after owning both models. This car is alot of fun to drive with the twin clutch. And it is sexy.

The X has cruise control, auto on HID's, keyless entry, twin clutch paddle shifters, 800 watt stereo, 15 inch 2 pcs brakes, etc.

The VIII was a joy. The X is proving to be the next Evolution to me.

Here are 2 pictures that show it is agressive, while keeping the Evolution legacy alive and running 1/4 mile times like the good old VIII and IX's with 300 more lbs. of extra luxury equipment and better handling .

Here was my old VIII.

Name:  d0a92857_zps3341f7d9.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  53.5 KB

Last edited by 04AWDTURBOEVO; Nov 11, 2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2013, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

I'm not saying the X Isn't a great car because it is , it's just not aggressive looking, if anything it's a smooth looking car kind of like a Lexus. That what I SEE. Where the IX AND VIII look more like all out performance cars. I really want an X but I might grab an IX instead I'm not sure.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldnt sell your 8 just to buy a 9 lol. I have a 9, not sure what all the hype is about with mivec, im sure there are its benefits, but to me its just more **** than can break lol. if you sell your 8, try a 10.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX