Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2013, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
...Noize. i like when you said you like ALL evos. So do i!

for the haters, as much as i look into they profile or signature, i would never trade my X for they car for sure
None of them has a more pure driver car then mine... How is that sounds for most of the haters, X owner has a more driver car? LOL

All evos are great, difference between them, only depends on how much money you spend on the model you have. But when you start jumping over 3 generation, your chances to over come on the newer one is less and less.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 13, 2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
more head to head results in GTA finale

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ow-Finale.aspx

No CT9As in the enthusiast class though
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8/9 or X.. Buy vs Lease

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum, and currently have a 2000 Mercedes S class with 206k miles on the clock, and a 2012 Challenger R/T with the 5.7 Hemi.

I'm looking for a car (either to lease or buy) and I have a few questions.
The performance numbers on the EVO look very good (better than my challenger with half the engine xD).

I am really torn between the EVO X and the 8/9. I can lease the 10 for 199/24 months 2k down and thats for a 36k car. However if I did want to keep it at the end of the least I'd have to pay somewhere near 28k. I like the 8/9 styling more, but the X I can lease for cheaper. I can modify the 8/9 but I'd be committing to buy. So which would you guys choose, and whats the mileage on the 8/9 I should look for, and for what price?
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

imho i would never lease a car...
also if you lease it ull end up paying more than just buying it completely out right the first time...

if you buy a used Evo8/9 Remember it will most likely be abused so save money for repairs...
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:41 AM
Evolving Member

Here's a thought:
@ 199/24 months with 2K down - that's about $6776 you'll 'lose' over that two year period driving the evo (not accounting for insurance, fuel, maintenance, acquisition or return costs) for the lease.

@ a 2% interest rate or there abouts for 60months/5yr you can qualify for about $15000 with a $260 monthly payment. Add in $2k and you've got $17000 purchasing power. This will get you in the game... just. Pay a little bit more and your selection pool dramatically increases.

Here are the things to think about.
1) You know you want the 8/9 otherwise there wouldn't be any dilemma - you just don't want massive monthly payments. So, find a way to get what you want - why compromise?
2) You'll obviously want to find a good specimen. At this price point it's totally possible - but you have to pin down on your wants. Some people want as stock as possible, others want a built machine. Does mileage scare you? You'll need to research, be patient, and be prepared to jump on something when it checks off your boxes.
3) We're basing this little exercise on selling your Evo 8/9 after two years. At this point in time, it will not depreciate a great deal... if any. Many people are finding their 8/9 value climbing (based on many factors, such as condition, modifications, and mileage to name a few). But, what I'm throwing out there is that your out of pocket costs between leasing the X and buying (then selling) an 8/9 may be very very similar.

You, like me - and lots of others, really value the Evo 8/9 over the current model. I would think about at least giving it a shot to see if there is one out there that fits you. There is a seller out there for every Evo buyer, and a buyer out there for every Evo - it just takes time for the two to come together.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 09:54 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Hey Winged, and welcome to Evom!

Opinions on this will vary really far and wide. I've owned all three iterations of Evos in the USA and prefer the X.

To me, finding a clean IX that is worth it's asking price is a very tall order these days. There are people asking over $23,000 for 8 year old cars with 75,000 miles or more. At this point, you're $9000 away from a brand new car with a full warranty that was unmolested by previous and possibly unknown modifications. There are a lot of "stock" used Evos of all generations that were heavily modified and then removed. Beware of this when looking at used cars.

I try to keep the VIII/IX vs. X comparisons out of the respective tech sections. To that end, please see this giant merged thread in the loft that has a ton of information. Please feel free to continue your conversation here! Thanks.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lo...-ix-merge.html
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Usually comes down to what was your first love. You might be able to move on, but you can never forget.
After owning a IX MR, then having it stolen, then giving up looking for the exact same car after four years searching - I desperately wanted to love the X.
I used to hate it, then it grew on me, until I found it sexy. Then I sat in it. All the whining about the high seating position in the IX, and the huge green-house came back to haunt me. I really missed it! The X feels like a much bigger car, and it wraps itself around you. I remembered loving to look over the IX dash and not seeing the hood. Those recaros are so amazing.
So, today, I'm back in a IX MR and loving it. Everything just 'feels' right and good. From the way it looks when you walk towards it in the morning and the double-takes when you leave. To the sparse, basic interior. Most importantly, that it feels like a telepathic radio controlled brute that loves to be thrown around.
Even after all this - I'm sure that enough time behind the wheel of any Evo gets you hooked the same way.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jwongx27
imho i would never lease a car... also if you lease it ull end up paying more than just buying it completely out right the first time... if you buy a used Evo8/9 Remember it will most likely be abused so save money for repairs...
That's not entirely accurate.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 10:25 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by deepee1
Usually comes down to what was your first love. You might be able to move on, but you can never forget.
After owning a IX MR, then having it stolen, then giving up looking for the exact same car after four years searching - I desperately wanted to love the X.
I used to hate it, then it grew on me, until I found it sexy. Then I sat in it. All the whining about the high seating position in the IX, and the huge green-house came back to haunt me. I really missed it! The X feels like a much bigger car, and it wraps itself around you. I remembered loving to look over the IX dash and not seeing the hood. Those recaros are so amazing.
So, today, I'm back in a IX MR and loving it. Everything just 'feels' right and good. From the way it looks when you walk towards it in the morning and the double-takes when you leave. To the sparse, basic interior. Most importantly, that it feels like a telepathic radio controlled brute that loves to be thrown around.
Even after all this - I'm sure that enough time behind the wheel of any Evo gets you hooked the same way.
Man, different strokes.

I'm pretty tall, long torso, and I love the extra headroom in the X. I think the shorter greenhouse makes it look less economy-car roots than the VIII/IX. I think the seats in the X absolutely destroy the seats in the older car, are a little more narrow, and can hold you a lot tighter in ridiculously high speed turns. I got my first X in SoCal, drove it cross country in two days, and found them the most comfortable seats ever in a passenger car for my body type, and I felt no fatigue.

The X is 252 lbs. heavier than the base IX, and while you can see it from the driver's seat and the steering rack is slightly slower, the handling and chassis in the X is way ahead IMO. We got screwed out of SAYC in the USA VIII and IX, and it shows driving them back to back. The system completely eradicates understeer in the X, and will allow throttle-on oversteer to rotate the car nicely in a corner, just don't lift!

I think the interior in the VIII/IX are dated, and the technology isn't great. The radio is single din, so you'll have to settle with something simple or relocate your HVAC controls if you want to put a DD modern head unit that will control your iPhone or interface with Waze, etc.

That said, if you want big power on the stock block, there's no replacement for the Evo IX.

I would honestly like one of both, but the costs now of what they are for what you get, there's no way I'll buy another one. Overpriced, ragged out, or both.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Man, different strokes.

I'm pretty tall, long torso, and I love the extra headroom in the X. I think the shorter greenhouse makes it look less economy-car roots than the VIII/IX. I think the seats in the X absolutely destroy the seats in the older car, are a little more narrow, and can hold you a lot tighter in ridiculously high speed turns. I got my first X in SoCal, drove it cross country in two days, and found them the most comfortable seats ever in a passenger car for my body type, and I felt no fatigue.

The X is 252 lbs. heavier than the base IX, and while you can see it from the driver's seat and the steering rack is slightly slower, the handling and chassis in the X is way ahead IMO. We got screwed out of SAYC in the USA VIII and IX, and it shows driving them back to back. The system completely eradicates understeer in the X, and will allow throttle-on oversteer to rotate the car nicely in a corner, just don't lift!

I think the interior in the VIII/IX are dated, and the technology isn't great. The radio is single din, so you'll have to settle with something simple or relocate your HVAC controls if you want to put a DD modern head unit that will control your iPhone or interface with Waze, etc.

That said, if you want big power on the stock block, there's no replacement for the Evo IX.

I would honestly like one of both, but the costs now of what they are for what you get, there's no way I'll buy another one. Overpriced, ragged out, or both.
Wow, what a great summary. You hit the nail right on the head here! All the pros and cons you list are right on point. My mind would probably explode if I could have both a IX and an X !!! To your credit, I feel if I somehow managed to find myself in that lucky position - I would probably DD the X because of all those little but important modernizations. Keep the IX on display, and for the occasional nostalgic trip down memory lane.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 12:41 PM

i would trade my 05 for evo x you cant beat a newer evo worth 40k plus new and not olny that but nice wide body on them looks great
Old Apr 9, 2014, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by deepee1
Wow, what a great summary. You hit the nail right on the head here! All the pros and cons you list are right on point. My mind would probably explode if I could have both a IX and an X !!! To your credit, I feel if I somehow managed to find myself in that lucky position - I would probably DD the X because of all those little but important modernizations. Keep the IX on display, and for the occasional nostalgic trip down memory lane.
I agree for the most part but the VIII/IX have a much better left/right transition as opposed to an inferior corner hold that the X has. 250 pounds is a lot to make up for and the X should have been at least as fast as the IX in terms of performance which it was not, which I think is the X's biggest flaw. That car should have at least 350-400HP and at LEAST a 108MPH Trap speed in the 1/4 mile which should have been very easy especially with DI.

That said anyone who wishes that they had a AYC in the IX has never put over 350WHP on one because they begin to break If you really want superior turn in, some simple Swift Spec R's and a REAR Roll bar fixes all but the most stubborn of under-steer. If you want over-steer adjust the clutch packs in the OEM rear.

In terms of building the motor and power the 4G63 rocks, but it has decades of development and a huge foot print so there's that.

The X FWIW is a superior daily across the board, it should of had a proper 6 speed manual that was with taller gearing and more power. That short ratio 5 speed is stupid, it just is from 2008 on.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 05:59 AM

If I had an VIII theres no way I would switch to the X. The VIII has the best body style IMO.
Old May 14, 2014, 11:01 AM
EvoM Administrator

Not sure how I missed this. High_PSI's, my reply is going to be a little harsh at points, but I mean no personal attack or disrespect.

Originally Posted by High_PSI
I agree for the most part but the VIII/IX have a much better left/right transition as opposed to an inferior corner hold that the X has. 250 pounds is a lot to make up for
The only way you can perceive a better "left to right transition" in the CT9A is the feel of the faster steering rack. That definitely aids in making physical response more like a hair trigger, which is cool. But it has dink to do with handling.

The X having "inferior corner holding"? Total BS! Do you have real seat time in an X? It has a much stiffer chassis, slightly wider tires, SAYC, and identical weight at the front wheels to an Evo IX. The extra weight in the X is all on the rear wheels. More heft is very disappointing, but at least it's added in the correct spot to help weight distribution. I've had five years of VIII/IX ownership and 5 years of X ownership, and the handling advantage definitely goes to the X.

the X should have been at least as fast as the IX in terms of performance which it was not, which I think is the X's biggest flaw. That car should have at least 350-400HP and at LEAST a 108MPH Trap speed in the 1/4 mile which should have been very easy
Why 108mph? IXs sure as heck don't typically trap 108mph stock. All the magazines I've seen have them 103mph-104mph. The first year X had the crappy tune and trapped around 101mph, but the 2010-2014 Xs trap right at the same speed as the IX.

Let's not forget Car & Driver's good 'ole Lightning Lap around a racetrack, where the 2008 X MR bested a 2006 IX MR by a tenth of a second at Virginia International Raceway, while a 2010 Evo X SE (better engine tune after 2008)destroyed the IX by a full three seconds.

especially with DI.
DI? What? Bro, do you even Evo?

That said anyone who wishes that they had a AYC in the IX has never put over 350WHP on one because they begin to break
My 2008 X was over 400whp and the SAYC had zero issues, ever. Again, research what you are attempting to discredit. Damage occurs on ACD/AYC pumps due to corrosion from salt in cold climates where the roads are treated. My buddy has a 550whp X and the SAYC isn't complaining.

If you really want superior turn in, some simple Swift Spec R's and a REAR Roll bar fixes all but the most stubborn of under-steer. If you want over-steer adjust the clutch packs in the OEM rear.
Or maybe put on real parts. The stock shocks can't properly control the Swifts. The Spec R springs will perform better with revalved shocks, or skip that route entirely and get a proper set of coilovers.

In terms of building the motor and power the 4G63 rocks, but it has decades of development, so there's that.

The X FWIW is a superior daily across the board, it should of had a proper 6 speed manual that was with taller gearing and more power. That short ratio 5 speed is stupid, it just is from 2008 on.
I agree with most of this, but they saved the 6 speed option for the SST, as the manual 6 speed box Mitsu used doesn't like high torque. The X 5 speed has identical 1-5 gear ratios of the IX, but a shorter final drive to help accelerate the extra weight. Good idea in countries like Japan and the UK where high speeds aren't as often traveled, bad idea in the USA where interstates and quarter mile racing is king.
Old May 19, 2014, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Rofl

Originally Posted by Noize
Not sure how I missed this. High_PSI's, my reply is going to be a little harsh at points, but I mean no personal attack or disrespect.

The only way you can perceive a better "left to right transition" in the CT9A is the feel of the faster steering rack. That definitely aids in making physical response more like a hair trigger, which is cool. But it has dink to do with handling.

The X having "inferior corner holding"? Total BS! Do you have real seat time in an X? It has a much stiffer chassis, slightly wider tires, SAYC, and identical weight at the front wheels to an Evo IX. The extra weight in the X is all on the rear wheels. More heft is very disappointing, but at least it's added in the correct spot to help weight distribution. I've had five years of VIII/IX ownership and 5 years of X ownership, and the handling advantage definitely goes to the X.

Why 108mph? IXs sure as heck don't typically trap 108mph stock. All the magazines I've seen have them 103mph-104mph. The first year X had the crappy tune and trapped around 101mph, but the 2010-2014 Xs trap right at the same speed as the IX.

Let's not forget Car & Driver's good 'ole Lightning Lap around a racetrack, where the 2008 X MR bested a 2006 IX MR by a tenth of a second at Virginia International Raceway, while a 2010 Evo X SE (better engine tune after 2008)destroyed the IX by a full three seconds.

DI? What? Bro, do you even Evo?

My 2008 X was over 400whp and the SAYC had zero issues, ever. Again, research what you are attempting to discredit. Damage occurs on ACD/AYC pumps due to corrosion from salt in cold climates where the roads are treated. My buddy has a 550whp X and the SAYC isn't complaining.

Or maybe put on real parts. The stock shocks can't properly control the Swifts. The Spec R springs will perform better with revalved shocks, or skip that route entirely and get a proper set of coilovers.

I agree with most of this, but they saved the 6 speed option for the SST, as the manual 6 speed box Mitsu used doesn't like high torque. The X 5 speed has identical 1-5 gear ratios of the IX, but a shorter final drive to help accelerate the extra weight. Good idea in countries like Japan and the UK where high speeds aren't as often traveled, bad idea in the USA where interstates and quarter mile racing is king.

Yes, all of this! I was thinking the exactly same thing when reading that post.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX