Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the IX's suck. Thats why I kept my VIII It seems like this thread is getting kinda personal again and off the main topic. Can we get rid of the personal attacks and just focus on waiting for 2 years for the 4B11T to prove itself instead?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 07:10 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Bumping for BOOSTEZ and others and making this a sticky.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just took the X for a drive and set 2 different Evo VII-IX owners and race drivers in it...first comment was the improved ride quality followed by remarks about how stiff the chassis felt (then I told them about the race suspension lol).
Old Feb 6, 2008, 07:56 PM

Look, the bottom line IMO is the EVO VIII/IX were made legends in the US. The enormous effort put into those cars to give them the impression of the way people see them today didn't come overnight and wasn't quickly labelled a beast car from a few dyno pulls. Those cars had to earn the reputation they did. This is the same with the Supra TT and the RX7 TT (which still hasn't been superceded by either Mazda or Toyota). Any realist would believe that the chances of Mitsubishi being that consistent in their engineering in just 1 year of development is a hard pill to swallow. That's where the skepticism comes in.

~BOOSTEZ
But the thing is.. the evo X is getting alot of attention Because of what you just said. its cuz evo 8 and 9 became legends that the Evo X is famous.i agree with the others that people just get all siked up about the release of a new evo. you seem like your saying that its a totally different car, its still an evo, just altered a bit to appeal to a different kind of people. i mean c'mon mitsu wants to spread the evo, less than 20% of the population knows what an "EVO" is. when i say "lancer" they completely disregard the phrase "evolution 9" that comes after it and assumes that i own the normal lancer. However, sometimes it works out for you.. because the insurance company counted my uncles evo as a normal lancer and made thus his insurance is lower.

IMO this thread is supposedly to state that BOOSTEZ is not a EVO X hater... i dont know why it turned out to be a Evo IX/VIII v. Evo X thread
Old Feb 6, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

While the X looks to be the better platform (IMO it had better be, since it's brand-spankin' new), all of the reviews so far have reinforced my belief in my VIII. Don't get me wrong, I will probably end up buying an X as a DD in a year or two, but I prefer the ... for lack of a better word ... honesty of my VIII. No newfangled SAYC, SAWC, ACD, BFD, OMG, gee-whiz electronix to interfere between me and the road. Just good old-fashioned mechanical differentials that I can learn to drive on and then slowly fine-tune to suit my driving style. Actually, if there was a way to buy an X w/out the drivetrain electronics, I'd be very tempted indeed to trade my VIII, but as it stands, the X may just end up having to justify two Evos in the garage, hehe.

l8r)
Old Feb 6, 2008, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
While the X looks to be the better platform (IMO it had better be, since it's brand-spankin' new), all of the reviews so far have reinforced my belief in my VIII. Don't get me wrong, I will probably end up buying an X as a DD in a year or two, but I prefer the ... for lack of a better word ... honesty of my VIII. No newfangled SAYC, SAWC, ACD, BFD, OMG, gee-whiz electronix to interfere between me and the road. Just good old-fashioned mechanical differentials that I can learn to drive on and then slowly fine-tune to suit my driving style. Actually, if there was a way to buy an X w/out the drivetrain electronics, I'd be very tempted indeed to trade my VIII, but as it stands, the X may just end up having to justify two Evos in the garage, hehe.

l8r)
Yea, I could buy the X but that would be 2 cars that are roughly very similar in both taste and type. It would also put a $500-$600/month hole in my pocket for the next 5 years too..It's hard to justify..

I just want fair and honest tuners and mechanics not anxious to try and make a new buck. But it's inevitable, the car will be popular and they will take advantage of that.

I'm anxiously waiting for people to take their cars to the dragstrip. I have yet to see ONE track thread with a bone stock X. I think people will be too afraid to post the times which I can guarantee will be in the high high 13s to low 14s for the average driver. The power might be there, but the weight is sure to offset the extra increase in ponies..
Old Feb 6, 2008, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
I just want fair and honest tuners and mechanics not anxious to try and make a new buck. But it's inevitable, the car will be popular and they will take advantage of that.
Actually, so far the un-honest tuners havent even talked in the Evo X forums. Thank god, I hope they never come to the X side of things, but eventually the real tuners, like the guys in the threads here now, will release stuff, and those other un-honest tuners will steal the maps and call them their own.

I gotta say, until this year, the Evo VIII and IX USDM, were not a popular car anywhere but the US. The rest of the world has been enjoying these not-so-new fangled traction systems for almost 6 years now. As far as the rest of the world is concerned, we were driving the crappy versions of the cars.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
He's right, robevo. Take no offense, but it's true. You're nowhere near as bad as guys like dr smile, redline, and boostez, who hate the car for no reason other than wanting to believe that their 9's are some "last of a dying breed" crap. You do, however, always feel the need to voice your opinion of the x being "unproven" and the 4g63 blah blah. I have seen posts go both ways with you. I have actually seen you commend the evo x in many older threads, but then kinda jumped on the hater bandwagon with the other guys as time has passed on. I have mentioned this to you on the evox forums, my screen name is evoxgsr over there. I'm sure you remember the many posts that we had talking about this exact same topic. Just keep it cool, as I said to you over there.
Yes i remember, you was the guy with the dyno numbers. Actually just remember with that thread and you will see what happened here.... Only difference here if you have no facts or hard evedence you can delete.....

So the only thing i did , i asked him why he makes such a statement like this

" I know I keep saying it, but this car is screwed together so much better than the older Evos, that its worth lifting them from their graves for a chance to point and laugh."

laugh et the older version? So i asked pls explain to me.... or other wise it is just pure phony statment. And i did not defened the 9 . I defended the whole evo line up.
guess what , no explanation other then i have an experience.... no facts or numbers etc. Wich would be laughable at the older versions.

so what he did? he deleted all my answere for him , or question , but he kept hes... like that is not off topic.. Matter affect he posted that line firts not me. I just asked him why?
So i'm the hater? i dont think so. By the way the MR line up is canceld . yeah i know im a hater...

Last edited by Robevo RS; Feb 7, 2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
I gotta say, until this year, the Evo VIII and IX USDM, were not a popular car anywhere but the US. The rest of the world has been enjoying these not-so-new fangled traction systems for almost 6 years now. As far as the rest of the world is concerned, we were driving the crappy versions of the cars.
I know, and I'm sure most US drivers will agree with the rest of the world. For me, however, I'd rather learn a skill - i.e. driving - than have my ego be fed by the 'skill' of the electronics. This is the same reason why I applaud the banning of traction control in F1, since it brings the contest more over into the drivers' skill camp of things.

l8r)
Old Feb 7, 2008, 05:25 AM
Lex

If they made the IX again, with S-AYC, and the build quality of the X, everything would fall into place. I still cant understand why they changed the look, I think the IX was a great looking car, and all It needed was to be screwed together better, with the S-AYC.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Kristofer
But the thing is.. the evo X is getting alot of attention Because of what you just said. its cuz evo 8 and 9 became legends that the Evo X is famous.i agree with the others that people just get all siked up about the release of a new evo. you seem like your saying that its a totally different car, its still an evo, just altered a bit to appeal to a different kind of people.
Is it really?

When hearing the term Evo I immediately think of a 4G63, the heart of the beast from the beginning. That heart has stayed true and kept beating through nine generations, getting better and better all the time. Advancements surrounding it have turned a simple Lancer into nearly supercar status. The car has always had that underlying feeling of raw energy, like a well of power just waiting to be tapped. And when opened up, it devours the road with a ferocious appetite. That's an Evo.

The 2008 Lancer Evolution still goes fast, but now it's quieter. Now it's more comfortable. And now, even someone that's never driven a standard can get behind the wheel and go. Keep your fancy interior, your sleeker body (ironically with a bucktooth front end), your optional nav systems/stereos/lights, and most of all, keep the 4B.

At least my car has heart
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Wow!

Originally Posted by NoTec
The Evo 1-9 is the past. Let this thread be about the current achievements for the current platform and future goals.
This is the reason why I hate fanboys... the insults! Not only are they dismissing1-2 year old cars, but they act like the X is God's gift to car enthusiasts! I can bet you a dollar to a dime NOONE will track that car bone stock and post the results!

Put the "extremely friendly to mods (85+whp increase)" car on the dragstrip. The trap speeds will indicate the power that car is REALLY putting down!!
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

^ whoa, dude ... simma!

Car mags have already tracked bone stock Xs and posted/published the results. I'm sure more than a few people will "track" their Evo X, although I suspect that by "tracking" more of them will mean Auto X and road-course work rather than 1/4 mile attempts. As far as I'm concerned, the Evo X (especially the MR) will be akin to God's gift for road racers ... especially noobs. I find it amusing that most of the X 'haters' conveniently ignore or are unaware of the Evo's true heritage, which is ... rallying - not drag racing. It will be very interesting to see what impact the X will have on Group-N WRC and similar competitions. If the stock setup is able to reproduce similar gains with Group-N restrictions, then it will be a huge win for

As we start to uncover the potential of the new engine, I can't help but picture Dr. Evo, clad in a white lab coat, cackling gleefully ... for the ppl so hung up on their precious 4g63 and drag racing - why did you waste the money on an Evo? A 1G would have saved you a ton of ca$h, and will go just as fast.

l8r)
Old Feb 7, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ludikraut
^ whoa, dude ... simma!

Car mags have already tracked bone stock Xs and posted/published the results. I'm sure more than a few people will "track" their Evo X, although I suspect that by "tracking" more of them will mean Auto X and road-course work rather than 1/4 mile attempts. As far as I'm concerned, the Evo X (especially the MR) will be akin to God's gift for road racers ... especially noobs. I find it amusing that most of the X 'haters' conveniently ignore or are unaware of the Evo's true heritage, which is ... rallying - not drag racing. It will be very interesting to see what impact the X will have on Group-N WRC and similar competitions. If the stock setup is able to reproduce similar gains with Group-N restrictions, then it will be a huge win for

As we start to uncover the potential of the new engine, I can't help but picture Dr. Evo, clad in a white lab coat, cackling gleefully ... for the ppl so hung up on their precious 4g63 and drag racing - why did you waste the money on an Evo? A 1G would have saved you a ton of ca$h, and will go just as fast.

l8r)
Look, most people in the states can give a damn about AutoX or RR. Drag racing is where it's at. Period. If you had a X, I'd take you to the strip and see what she can do against my car.

All these "lovers" drooling over the power increase numbers isn't fooling anyone. They want more power to be able to surprise the old man at the light driving a C6 vette - NOT go around a turn on the autox faster! Let's keep it real.

And it's ok to be hung up on the precious 4G63 as long as it is capable of making (at the very least) whatever the X can dish out.

Last edited by BOOSTEZ; Feb 7, 2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

I could care less about surprising the old man and his GF at the light driving a C6 vette. I don't drag race my car from a standing start ... ever. Although I laugh my a$$ off everytime I have someone trailing me going into a turn, only to find them 5+ car lengths behind me coming out. And really, if you (and others) are so concerned with showing up the nice cars, then why not sell the Evo and go with a 1G? All the old man will see is a 15+ year old $hitbox right before he gets pwned. As I said, ppl like you amuse me. Using an Evo for purely drag racing is like using a shotgun to hunt mice.

l8r)

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX