Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^exactly
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meltdown
I never said the IX was/is better and never will.

It's obvious that no one here has any comprehension.
You said it in so many words, and the implications of your posts are obvious.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by meltdown
I've never seen soo many people get so excited over nothing!

"20 hp by just removing the airfilter, omg!" ....did you not notice that's it's still only 240whp.....not even up to the stock IX wich makes 250-260awhp with absolutely NO mods.

Now if the X stock basline was at 250-260awhp and it jummped 40hp with an intake and boost control, then I would scream and shout with the rest, but it's not.

Mod for mod the IX and X seem to be making the same whp. Who cares how big the jump or gain was, 300 is still 300.

I'm not saying the X isn't a great car, I'm sure it is. All evo's have their plus and minus, just don't make it out to be more than it's not.
Different dynos too.

The dyno were it made 220 and then 240 with the air filter off is a Mustang dyno. Stock Ix only do 235 there, not 250-260.

Also, you need ot do more research. An X with just a tune and cat back is making as much as a IX with a tune and a turboback.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
meltdown, you are comparing a x dyno'd on a mustand vs a 9 dyno'd on a dyno jet. Musang dynos read significantly lower than dyno jets. Ask shiv, from vishnu tuning, and he will show you than a stock 9 makes about 5 more hp on his dyno than a x on his dyno. Thats a 5 hp difference, and the x makes 10 more lb ft of torque than the 9, so they put out about the same overall power. He has also stated and shown with dyno graph evidence that a X with a rough tune makes about 10 more hp with no bolt ons than a 9 with a tune and a catless turbo back exhaust. You have not done your research and have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
LOL, i said just about everything you did, then saw your response.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

^Almost word for word, that's funny. Well, you know what they say, "great minds think alike."
Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

^Almost word for word, that's funny. Well, you know what they say, "great minds think alike."
definetly ...but you own a Sti. JK JK
Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

^Apex silver X in 2 days though!
Old Feb 17, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

^Apex silver X in 2 days though!
I know. Im happy for ya. AS is one of the top colors next to WW.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah at first glance last year I didn't like that X from a visual aspect, because of the change. But as I did more research and read more and more reviews, overall it grew on me....the specs and features stood out a lot and when I test drove it, I knew I wanted to get it. No regrets on my trade-in for the X.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
I more of a driving oriented person, so I couldn't justify driving an automatic (evo x). IMHO there will be NO MORE EVO's. An Evolution is a 4G63 powered rally car, not some soccer mom automatic aluminum block piece of crap.
i agree to that
Old Feb 17, 2008, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jackygor
God, this is so lame.

Here is an advice, go read ALL the post from Boostez, he was once a disbeliever much like you. However, when he saw the dynocharts from AMS and shiv, he stopped doing the 9 > 10 in terms of responding to mods.
When did I ever say the 9 was better, responded to mods better or ever say it was superior.

I'm just saying that the X is not the GOD everyone is making it out to be.

I would love to have a X, I would not pay what the X cost but I would love to have one.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Also, you need ot do more research. An X with just a tune and cat back is making as much as a IX with a tune and a turboback.
You prove my point!

The difference in the two setups above is not that big. Bascially since AMS said that a downpipe did not make any hp gains on the X, the difference in the two is a cat. Therefore the IX is pretty even with the X, I'M NOT SAYING BETTER, just close to being even.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 06:04 PM
Former Sponsor

from a chassis standpoint it's not even close
Old Feb 17, 2008, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Read this and I think that this will be over. This is coppied from the vishnu part two thread, and this is a post from shiv himself.

With actual tuning, the X has already made more power with just a simple catback and a free flow cat than a tuned IX was ever capable. Even when running no cats, full exhaust, intercooler, stiffer wastegate spring, etc,. I think we already have a winner, no?
Ok I read Part II and lets look at the quote a little more in full:

Dyno Details:
Stock X with 3" cat and 3" cat-back
Tuned by a modified BMW PROcede computer
91oct
On the Mustang Dyno at FFTEC.

I'll post up the graphs later tonight but for now, here are the results:

WHP: 297-302whp
Torque: 310-315lbft

This is up considerably from when the car was running the stock exhaust. You can see those results here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=322616

These new results are about as good as the absolute BEST results we've ever got out of a Evo IX running a full catless exhaust (3" dp, 3" test pipe, 3" cat-back). But we're talking about the top 3-5%. Most IXs with full catless exhaust usually fall in the 285-290whp range.

It is much stronger than a similarly modified IX (which would only make 270-275whp/290-300lbft with a 3" cat and 3" catback).

---

Let's mainly look at the last part where they say a IX would only make 270-275 with similar mods, but then on their web site that have this dyno sheet:

http://www.vishnutuning.com/images/e...vs_reflash.jpg

270whp on a stock IX with just a reflash.....doesn't really match what they said about the IX when they were comparing it to the X.

Last edited by meltdown; Feb 17, 2008 at 06:24 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by robi
from a chassis standpoint it's not even close
I'll agree with that, we weren't talking about the handling, but I do agree with you.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX