Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hell Ya Ill Trade It... Looks Sick!!!!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
No. Missing 4G63. It is not usually a good practice to buy first year cars or cars after a "major" modification has been made. i.e. new engine.

But I do think it looks nice. Sticking with the IX.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
Having kept-up with the X info, I can honestly say there's nothing I like about it. I find its styling to be generally unappealing, as well as its interior, and the new powertrain does little to inspire a great deal of interest. I loathe the concept behind an automatic gearbox and the aluminum block would always remind me of a Vega. I could also give a flying f#ck about cruise control, navigation and the hideous steering wheel buttons. Basically, had the X been available instead of the IX, I would have never purchased it. It seems like Mitsubishi wants to turn the Evo into a GT and that's not what I want.
My sentiment exactly.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Never.. The new Evo looks like a pig..
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

since this discussion seems to be Evo X oriented....I am moving it....
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

after having driven a DSG for awhile (gf's Jetta), I'm almost 100% positive that a switch to a clutchless system is in the works for me in the future. . .so it's a question of cost and working out the bugs. . .

I'm about 80% sure I'd trade the VIII in for a X, which is why my VIII hasn't been modded, but I need to test drive the X and see if I like it. . .it seems more refined and less raw than the current VIII/IX, which will work well my aging old fart a$$!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

I would sell my evo 8 and buy the X
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

any reasons why can't I reply to thread in FS section?
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by romogst
Yes, just like the title says,

Who would trade / sell your VIII or IX for the new EVO X

WHY ?

WHY NOT ?
Probably not. Not cause I don't like the X or the oh so awesome - seriously, I wish I had it - S-AWC, but because the 4G63 Engine in the VIII's and IX's are solid. While they're not the newest tech, they've had ample time to work out any - hopefully all - kinks in it's design. The block in the new X will no doubt blow away all kinds of competition, but personally, I'd wait for the XII to make sure I'm getting a solid car. Plus, who knows, maybe by then they'll be beasty hybrids... that can fly ;-p
Old Jan 9, 2007, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

To answer the question, I plan to keep my ralliart as a beater.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

I dont like the way it looks, but that might grow on me.

I would not be in a hurry to buy the first two model years, we dont have to look far in the VIII through IX years in the USA to see just how quick Mitsu are to improve things for the better.

I would sit back, see how the tuners do with it then make a decision.

My gut feeling is the IX's will be keepers once everyone is let down by the X (heavier, curvier and a general design direction away from what made the Evo great to begin with).

Edit:

The X will be great for those a little afraid of the rawness of the previous Evo's which Im sure will increase sales, especially if the DSG is in fact offered. Smart move by Mitsu, can't blame them for it.

Last edited by res04; Jan 9, 2007 at 01:55 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lords3t
Probably not. Not cause I don't like the X or the oh so awesome - seriously, I wish I had it - S-AWC, but because the 4G63 Engine in the VIII's and IX's are solid. While they're not the newest tech, they've had ample time to work out any - hopefully all - kinks in it's design. The block in the new X will no doubt blow away all kinds of competition, but personally, I'd wait for the XII to make sure I'm getting a solid car. Plus, who knows, maybe by then they'll be beasty hybrids... that can fly ;-p
Let be the first to state this new S-AWC is garbage. A professional driver has no use for it. (Plus it is FORBIDDEN TO BE USED IN ANY PROFESSIONAL EVENT) If it is anything like the JDM SAYC, it will also BREAK often when used in a high horsepower Evo. Now that thats out of the way, take a look at what else the Evo X has to offer in terms of performance:

-More weight (200lbs heavier)
-Crappy low power aluminum 2.0 Liter (not as "boostable")
-Taller Center of gravity

Hmmmm...not looking so good. The Evolution has finally stopped. You might as well just go out and buy a AWD Acura TL (heavy and slow). Thank you Daimler Chrysler for ruinning a perfectly good Japanese street machine! Bastards!

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Jan 9, 2007 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

Hell, a commet may hit anytime and kill everything on this earth. Might as well keep the IX and buy a X. If your going to be a Bear, be a GRIZZLY!!!
Old Jan 9, 2007, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Plan on keeping my IX and adding the X, when and if there's ever an RS version and/or after I payoff my loan.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
Having kept-up with the X info, I can honestly say there's nothing I like about it. I find its styling to be generally unappealing, as well as its interior, and the new powertrain does little to inspire a great deal of interest. I loathe the concept behind an automatic gearbox and the aluminum block would always remind me of a Vega. I could also give a flying f#ck about cruise control, navigation and the hideous steering wheel buttons. Basically, had the X been available instead of the IX, I would have never purchased it. It seems like Mitsubishi wants to turn the Evo into a GT and that's not what I want.

QFT

One of the reasons I bought my IX when I did was because I had a feeling Mitsubishi (and Subaru too, to be truthful) were going to be going in this direction with their rally-based cars.

Now that we've seen what Mitsubishi has brought to the table, we'll have to wait until fall when the new STI debuts in Frankfurt to see if Subaru follows along the same path.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX