Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBonus
God, you're such a troll.
How is that trolling? I fail to see this..
Old Mar 1, 2008, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
Then my world is small.. respect that. I'm not concerned with running around a track.

If I wanted a track car, it wouldn't be an EVO X. It would be a GT-R which will crush the X stock-for-stock.
yes stock for stock i agree, the gt-r will crush any evo, assuming that you have 70 grand to do so. now on the other hand that 30-40 grand you save when buying an evo will put it far ahead of the gt-r, unless i wanted a stock car.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 04:50 PM
Evolved Member

How is that trolling? I fail to see this..
When you run out of ways to put down the new Evo, you somehow bring a car that costs 2.5 times as much to the discussion. It's nothing more than a red herring to avoid the crux of his point.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrtroy
yes stock for stock i agree, the gt-r will crush any evo, assuming that you have 70 grand to do so. now on the other hand that 30-40 grand you save when buying an evo will put it far ahead of the gt-r, unless i wanted a stock car.
If you spent 70k, you'd want it stock anyway since it would be fast enough and you'd want it warrantied the full term of the loan.

I can say the same thing about 40k for the X since my VIII is paid off. I can take that extra 20k that I would lose if I traded in my VIII and make it faster than the X in a RR?? Not sure about that actually since I can't get AYC or ASC.

And yes, I could get a GT-R if I REALLY wanted one but since my VIII can be made faster (in a straight line) for about 1k more, it's not worth 69k..
Old Mar 1, 2008, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

If you spent 70k, you'd want it stock anyway since it would be fast enough and you'd want it warrantied the full term of the loan.

I can say the same thing about 40k for the X since my VIII is paid off. I can take that extra 20k that I would lose if I traded in my VIII and make it faster than the X in a RR?? Not sure about that actually since I can't get AYC or ASC.

And yes, I could get a GT-R if I REALLY wanted one but since my VIII can be made faster (in a straight line) for about 1k more, it's not worth 69k..
You could sell your Evo and put together a tubbed Fox Body for $12,000 and have a car that spanks everything you listed if 1/4 mile times are all you care about.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

When you run out of ways to put down the new Evo, you somehow bring a car that costs 2.5 times as much to the discussion. It's nothing more than a red herring to avoid the crux of his point.
I understood his point, and I was serious about what I said. I WOULD get a GT-R to be a track king. Hell, there are other cars cheaper that will outpace the EVO X around the track! My point was valid - I'm unconcerned with road racing my car. It costs lots of money to do, and it wears a car down fast (as a daily driver). Most of you who brag about the RR times probably won't ever go to the track to race it. In that regards, some of you are just hiding behind the strong performance numbers of the evo x around a track to justify saying it's superior to the older gens..
Old Mar 1, 2008, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

You could sell your Evo and put together a tubbed Fox Body for $12,000 and have a car that spanks everything you listed if 1/4 mile times are all you care about.
Yes, I could. But guess what? My VIII is paid for.. so I can just use my extra car note (if I so choose) and make what I already have something that spanks cars down the quarter, no?
Old Mar 1, 2008, 05:02 PM
Former Sponsor

small world wasn't meant as a jab just a statement I like the "whole car" I like drag racing (ask David Buschur) I drive fast on the street (with the driving record to prove it) but won't street race...I own a sub 2600 lb VIII and know what compromises need to be made and did it.. I love ALL models of the EVO (owned VII-IX) currently own 2 VIII's and a IX and in the whole car concept "imo" the sacrifices/compromises made for the "feel " of the X are moving the car forward and making the car available to a whole new group of buyers that the CT9A/4G63 combo didn't attract.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 05:08 PM

in my opinion the x is not superior to the viii or ix, superior in anyones mind is what they find fits their needs in a car, everyone has opinions good or bad. the x has advantages over the others and the previous gens have advantages over the x, simple as that. i just think the x is not slow just because the vii or the ix is faster, the x is still pretty fast for what it is and will make anyone happy who buys it.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gsrtroy
in my opinion the x is not superior to the viii or ix, superior in anyones mind is what they find fits their needs in a car, everyone has opinions good or bad. the x has advantages over the others and the previous gens have advantages over the x, simple as that. i just think the x is not slow just because the vii or the ix is faster, the x is still pretty fast for what it is and will make anyone happy who buys it.
I absolutely agree with that!
Old Mar 1, 2008, 05:18 PM

my final decision will be when a new friend i met finally lets me drive his ix....lol
Old Mar 1, 2008, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I could. But guess what? My VIII is paid for.. so I can just use my extra car note (if I so choose) and make what I already have something that spanks cars down the quarter, no?
The point is that there is always a cheaper way to go fast.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robi
Sorry to disapoint I just ran a 1:27.93 ccw at Streets with only a catback exhaust..and KW Clubsports .stock tires wheels and brakes/pads .I checked @ SV site and no VIII-IX with cat back and shocks only has even come close. If straight line is all you mean when talking about "faster" your world is small indeed
Awesome Robi, I will be talking to you again soon about suspension. This car is a track monster! I can not believe how well it is doing. Absolutely mind boggling.

God, you're such a troll.
Well, kinda hard to call Boostez a troll in this thread, since he did start it. Can you troll your own thread

I understood his point, and I was serious about what I said. I WOULD get a GT-R to be a track king. Hell, there are other cars cheaper that will outpace the EVO X around the track! My point was valid - I'm unconcerned with road racing my car. It costs lots of money to do, and it wears a car down fast (as a daily driver). Most of you who brag about the RR times probably won't ever go to the track to race it. In that regards, some of you are just hiding behind the strong performance numbers of the evo x around a track to justify saying it's superior to the older gens..
Track is more then just a car. It takes a heck of a lot more skill, patience, focus, and determination to be a good track driver. When I get done running a 1/4, hell done running 20 drags in a row, Im not tired, hot, nor do I feel the least bit challenged. However, when you get done driving for 30 minutes straight around a 12 turn track, I am pretty wore out. Then, after doing it for another 2 1/2 hours, I am just wasted. The physical and mental pressures that you undertake in a track event is astounding. In a single day you will be making, and evaluating thousands, if not tens of thousands of, decisions and choices, good or bad.

So no matter how fast your car is, once you put it on that track, it is nothing if you don't have the experience to back it up.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
Track is more then just a car. It takes a heck of a lot more skill, patience, focus, and determination to be a good track driver. When I get done running a 1/4, hell done running 20 drags in a row, Im not tired, hot, nor do I feel the least bit challenged. However, when you get done driving for 30 minutes straight around a 12 turn track, I am pretty wore out. Then, after doing it for another 2 1/2 hours, I am just wasted. The physical and mental pressures that you undertake in a track event is astounding. In a single day you will be making, and evaluating thousands, if not tens of thousands of, decisions and choices, good or bad.

So no matter how fast your car is, once you put it on that track, it is nothing if you don't have the experience to back it up.
Yeap. I know what you mean first hand. I've RR my VIII for the first time up in Willow Springs on an all-day instructor event. It was very rigorous and in the end, it wasn't for me. I may try RR/drifting the MR2, but I like drag for the VIII.
Old Mar 1, 2008, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drifting would be pretty awesome! That requires a lot of fine control and timing. Sure looks fun though! The MR2 will probably be a pretty sweet car for that style of driving too.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX