Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2008, 02:54 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ohheyitzjon
i beg to differ, the current model is attacting a new group of buyers as well as the performance oriented group. many people are giving the evo x a second look since they've revamped the spartan interior from the evo viii and evo ix.

as far as pricing, its equalivent to its competition the STi. i paid 35k otd for my sti, and i paid 33k otd for my X. not bad in my book. the 40k you see is mostly just dealer mark up. check out pricing from south coast mitsu.
The new STI isn't selling well either, so not sure if comparing the Evo to the STI in terms of sales is really helping your point. They've actually just started to offer incentives on the new STI because it is selling so slowly.

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
40k is for a fully loaded car with every single option. Very few people are buying that model.
That's the one that is tough to swallow for most consumers because it gets close to other higher-end cars (in terms of monthly payment). And what's also tough for Mitsu at this point is that initial allocations on dealer's lots right now are heavy on the fully-loaded GSRs.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 04:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well The Evo X brought me over from the Push Rod V8 American muscle cars. I am not new imports. I have owned a 1986 Mits Starion for years, but the Evo X with all of its new features actually convinced me to sell my LS1 Camaro SS to cover my down payment. In my opinion the additions to the X far out weigh the minimal performance loses to the IX. Also the X is so new there are not many mods available yet in comparison to the mods on the IX. I think part of the reason this car is getting so much criticism is because it is attracting new people to the world of Evo such as myself. Both IX and X are great cars, and both deserve = respect.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 03:16 AM
Evolving Member

I honestly love the X over the IX, mainly because it is newer, more modern, and of course, AYC and S-AWC. I love the X because they have improved many things that the IX didn't have, and when it comes to power, quarter mile times, 0-60, I don't really mind that it's a lil slower.

I'm not going to purchase an EVO X for raw power and/or styling, I'm going to purchase it because in MY opinion, it is the BEST EVO thus far. I have driven VIIIs and IXs and trust me, I loved those as well. Hell, I loved them so much, I bragged about them and compared almost EVERY car I met on the road to one. But the interior and overall styling, NOW compared to the X, doesn't attract me anymore.

Sure, I'm going to miss the power, the quickness, and of course, the "legendary, rally styling" of the IX, but do the pros of the X outweigh the cons? in MY PERSONAL OPINION, HELL YES!!!
Old Mar 25, 2008, 06:42 PM

I'm Heading To Geezerland Myself

SUPWIDDIS WROTE:

I'm and old "MOPAR Man". Way, wayy back in the day there were the Coronet RT's, Super Bee's, Road Runners, Darts..etc with rubber floor mats for carpet and they had insane horsepower producing big block's that were very heavy in a light, stripped car that was heater and A.M radio optional. And they were fast and quick. Hemi's came with a warranty exclusion sticker. You buy it, you fry it, it's yours. A tuner didn't just bolt on parts to go faster. You got filthy dirty.

I also remember that back in that day, the drag racers of the mopar products were running automatics. Certainly was my first experience getting thrown back in the seat by a car with true acceleration.

Also remember watching the Jim Hall Chaparrals with those first, huge wings, cleaning the clocks of everyone else, including Parnelli Jones, and Dan Gurney, at Laguna Seca.

Glorious days.

I really enjoy the new X

Nice to hear from you .
Old Mar 25, 2008, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
???
Old Mar 25, 2008, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

i had to drive around today and i stopped at mitsu dealer. They have like 10 X but they sold only 2...
My friend work for the other mitsu dealer and he is struggling too.
I remember the hype why we in the east cost dont get it sooner etc. Now we got it and all of the sudden, looks like nobody wants it....
interesting.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
i had to drive around today and i stopped at mitsu dealer. They have like 10 X but they sold only 2...
My friend work for the other mitsu dealer and he is struggling too.
I remember the hype why we in the east cost dont get it sooner etc. Now we got it and all of the sudden, looks like nobody wants it....
interesting.
New car sales are down over %12. Of course they aren't moving. No cars are moving! I think you are seeing the effects of the economy.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 01:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know i think the down-turn in economy might just help the evo. i went and looked at M3's today. over 70k was the asking price the the particular vehicle i was looking at. is someone that is looking for a sporty compact-ish sedan going to explore other options before putting down that kind of cash in this economy? probably...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 04:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
New car sales are down over %12. Of course they aren't moving. No cars are moving! I think you are seeing the effects of the economy.
possible, but these type of cars used to have a less economy effect / on they buyer interest/ then the "common" cars. I mean the people want it or not.
Also a lots of fans out there with 03-04 Evo 8's.... And for those guys i dont think the wall street or the gas price count that much, then to get a new toy.
But seems to me who have an evo 8-9 they are not too crazy to get a X. Looks to me the majority X owners are first time evo buyers. And i'm wondering where is the evo fanboy's ?
This never happened before. I always saw the same guys with the newer model ,even when they car was 1-2 year old when they traded in...
But today some of those guys has a over 4 year old car and they not looking for the X they looking some where else.
I'm not talking 1 or 2 guy. I think better if the tuners come up soon with the ecu flash, hopefully that will shake the picture up! Also we need more track numbers from the X! Come on guys who have a X, show numbers go to the track!
I'm really sad to see those X sitting in the parking lot.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 26, 2008 at 04:37 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

possible, but these type of cars used to have a less economy effect / on they buyer interest/ then the "common" cars. I mean the people want it or not.
Also a lots of fans out there with 03-04 Evo 8's.... And for those guys i dont think the wall street or the gas price count that much, then to get a new toy.
But seems to me who have an evo 8-9 they are not too crazy to get a X. Looks to me the majority X owners are first time evo buyers. And i'm wondering where is the evo fanboy's ?
This never happened before. I always saw the same guys with the newer model ,even when they car was 1-2 year old when they traded in...
But today some of those guys has a over 4 year old car and they not looking for the X they looking some where else.
I'm not talking 1 or 2 guy. I think better if the tuners come up soon with the ecu flash, hopefully that will shake the picture up! Also we need more track numbers from the X! Come on guys who have a X, show numbers go to the track!
I hear you. I have a IX and was going to make the switch. I'm waiting for alot of things to go right before I jump into the x. The #1 thing I am waiting on the sidelines before I buy is the economy. No one knows what is going to happen and I will not get caught with my pants down. It is sad that there are alot of evo's sitting in alot of dealerships
Old Mar 26, 2008, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Um, luxury items are the first to take a hit in an economic downturn. Mid-range performance cars aimed at the middle to middle/upper class are the hardest to sell in this economy.

The rest of your post is nothing more than conjecture and meaningless anecdotal evidence. You sound like you're stretching to find fault with the new X.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Um, luxury items are the first to take a hit in an economic downturn. Mid-range performance cars aimed at the middle to middle/upper class are the hardest to sell in this economy.

The rest of your post is nothing more than conjecture and meaningless anecdotal evidence. You sound like you're stretching to find fault with the new X.
well you find me wrong then, perhaps. But wasn't the case a year ago, and back then more people was waiting for the new X so that was an other draw back to sell the IX. The economy didn't shined also...
But the IX did sell better then the X so far.
I'm sure you have a answer to that.
I do think so, the mitsubishi aimed the wrong crowed with the X. That is why i said the X needs to be proven on track. To shake the things up, also to make the hesitaters step forward, am i wrong on that?
Feel free to prove me wrong on that. Instead to attacking me , i would like to hear the opinion on this.
I do under stand the best defense is the offense ... /mean time i do not tried to find fault in the X/ but i thought we over on that already. So leave the personal attack behind and come forward something else. I like the good debates.

So what i meant with my post above, the X needs to go out more to the track to convinced the evo owners it is worth to get the X. Dyno number will not sell the car, period. Am i wrong?
The X is out there long enough to get numbers out /track/ But not so many out there... So i think when the track numbers start coming out the X will start selling better. Why do i attack the X with that?

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 26, 2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

well you find me wrong then, perhaps. But wasn't the case a year ago, and back then more people was waiting for the new X so that was an other draw back to sell the IX. The economy didn't shined also...
But the IX did sell better then the X so far.
I'm sure you have a answer to that.
I do think so, the mitsubishi aimed the wrong crowed with the X. That is why i said the X needs to be proven on track. To shake the things up, also to make the hesitaters step forward, am i wrong on that?
Feel free to prove me wrong on that. Instead to attacking me , i would like to hear the opinion on this.
I do under stand the best defense is the offense ... /mean time i do not tried to find fault in the X/ but i thought we over on that already. So leave the personal attack behind and come forward something else. I like the good debates.
I'm not attacking you personally; I'm attacking your thinly veiled argument. The X has been out all of two months and it was released in the middle of winter at the beginning of the biggest credit crunch since the late 1920s. People don't have the equity in their homes to cash out and buy cars and banks are leary of lending to people with questionable credit. Gas prices are high and portfolios are stagnant further leaving consumers hesitant to pour their excess funds into a reasonably expensive performance car.

On-track performance has little to nothing to do with flagging sales as much as the overall economic picture and consumer confidence. Furthermore, to draw comparisons between IX and X sales after a scant two months of production is downright asinine.

Last edited by MrBonus; Mar 26, 2008 at 06:10 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I'm not attacking you personally; I'm attacking your thinly veiled argument. The X has been out all of two months and it was released in the middle of winter at the beginning of the biggest credit crunch since the late 1920s. People don't have the equity in their homes to cash out and buy cars and banks are leary of lending to people with questionable credit. Gas prices are high and portfolios are stagnant further leaving consumers hesitant to pour their excess funds into a reasonably expensive performance car.

On-track performance has little to nothing to do with flagging sales as much as the overall economic picture and consumer confidence.
sorry i dont buy it.

"On-track performance has little to nothing to do with flagging sales as much as the overall economic picture and consumer confidence"

It is suppose to be a road legal racing car, just like the previous ones. But more "mature" or grown up as they advertising. So the track numbers does help on the sport car sales, period.It did before and it will in the future too.
And the consumer confidence ,when we talking about sports car comes from the proof.
Also the the evo owners will buy a new car , so there is not the economy issue. Just looks to me they looking other option with the same price range... Since the X is still the mystery for most of them, until the hard proof's start coming in.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

sorry i dont buy it.

"On-track performance has little to nothing to do with flagging sales as much as the overall economic picture and consumer confidence"

It is suppose to be a road legal racing car, just like the previous ones. But more "mature" or grown up as they advertising. So the track numbers does help on the sport car sales, period.It did before and it will in the future too.
And the consumer confidence ,when we talking about sports car comes from the proof.
Also the the evo owners will buy a new car , so there is not the economy issue. Just looks to me they looking other option with the same price range... Since the X is still the mystery for most of them, until the hard proof's start coming in.
The idea that Evo enthusiasts are somehow immune to the surrounding economy is both immature and irrational. Also, regardless of your (or my) intended usage of the cars, 99% of Evos won't see the track.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX