Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LilRico
^^^^^
LMAO..... Great sig!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:08 AM

The Evo IX is my favorite IMO. For those who say the Evo isn't a drag car, it's been proven to be a great drag car. The Evo IX isn't just a track car, it can be a rally car, a drag car, hell.... it can even be a grocery getter.

That's the beauty of the platform, it pwns.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:09 AM

good lord - Seems I opened a can of worms.

Well, I like the X. It appeals to me
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

This is weird, Evo VIII and IX owners doesn't like the Evo X because it's slower. But the Evo VIII and Evo IX is slower then the Evo VI TME. I don't hear people criticizing the Evo VIII/IX about that.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3YG3uoadV...elated&search=

For me, the Evolution of the Lancer Evolution isn't just about raw power, but more of a technological break through. In Japan the Evo VII/VIII/IX was further improved from the previous Evo with the ACD. The Evo X took the ACD, incorporate AYC and you have a car that's a few hundred pounds heavier and yet it can still perform at the same level.

The new Evo X is better as a daily driver. It's quieter, smoother, and has less turbo lag. Appearance is up to the individuals taste.

You can't say that the Evo X sucks because it's slower then the VIII/IX. Then that case the Evo VIII/IX would suck because it's slower then the Evo VI TME.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bamboo_08
big deal because it's just hideous, slow, and also IX's are and will be the best evo's made.
YEA!!!, what he said. IMO i think the 9 is Mitsubishi's best lookn evo yet!!! but thats my opinion
Old Apr 22, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Orangeblast
no, I'm not trying to start some argument or anything. I'm curious as to why the EVO X is considered a big deal.

I'm guessing its because of the:

TC-SST for the MR
New engine
new body..?
A Y C
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:24 PM

The big deal is that you won't die in a wreck with the evo X. (hence the added weight, airbags, etc.) Poor crash ratings have always dissuaded me from purchasing the evo. That all changed with the X which is why it'll be my next vehicle of choice.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dicky
The big deal is that you won't die in a wreck with the evo X. (hence the added weight, airbags, etc.)

and AYC..

thats pretty much all there is different.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:55 PM

I hope the X is a good seller for Mitsubishi. I have a 9 and love that car but anything that puts money in Mitsubishi's pocket to develope next years better evo is fine with me. Example is the Porsche SUV the Cayanne. Even the die hard Porsche owners hated that, and they were long time Porsche lovers even though Porsche had always been sports CAR oriented until the Cayenne came out. Cayenne sales were great and then out comes the Carrera GT and the new turbo sports cars, GT3RS supercars as well. The die hards don't have to like the Cayenne, but it was and is good for the Porsche brand.

If sales are good, Mitsubishi is still in the car business, that is a good thing. The X looks are growing on me, and I hope it does sell well. Too bad they went away from the 10year 100K warranty though.

I agree, evo's are good drag cars but I think they are better road and track type cars. I like drags, and that's a great way to see horsepower gains on that type of track setting but corners are the shiznit and these cars eat corners all up. AYC for the X, the magazines all seem to like it, and as somebody else said it takes the fun out of the car, takes the driver out of the equation. Well said.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddawg1130
LOL, dude you make me laugh!

a) the evo is not a drag car. It might be slower in straight line, but it is also much faster on the track.

b) AYC is agreeably for track usage. But, yet again, the evo is not a drag car! track driving will "show the AYC and therefore kinda leave the 8/9 in the dust"

c) and lastly, the evo x is a much better daily driver then the 8/9, but neither car's apeal comes from it being an amazing daily driver. Actually the cars appeal comes from being rally inspired and a fast and amazing handling car on a road course. So yet again AYC is perfect for the evo and should be a huge reason as to "what the big deal" is with the X.

Oh and lets quote some fair figures. if your going to take the best 8/9 0-60 times then do so for the X also. 5.7 0-60 LMFAO. I've seen as low as 4.6 which would make it faster then your quoted 8/9times!!!! So yes it is milliseconds (or otherwise know as miniscule/non-important) difference. And yet again the evo isn't a drag car.

and lastly, i bet none of you posses the skill to actually tell the difference between a 4.6 and a 4.8 second 0-60 car. 2 tenths of a second is so little that whining about this is rediculous. Not to mention yet again that whining about this is also rediculous because THE EVO IS NOT A DRAG CAR.

okay not getting anymore points over the X but..

I) its proven that it was 1 second faster around the track with a professional driver.. All the AYC is good for is helping crappy drivers like yourself do better (are you THAT good of a driver that you will pick up that 1 second? i mean lets be honest here.)

II) who says the evo is not a drag car? then you should say the mustang is not a drift car, a tractor trailer is not a pikes peak hill climb machine and that a dodge cummins diesel is not a drag car too?

The car we drive is called an EVOLUTION. Not a Regression

This is to EVOLOVE into all forms or racing. The car is proving that it can do that by already running 8 seconds in the 1/4 mile, winning numerous rally events and of course beating so many time attack events that its hated in most events!!

tell these guys not to do what they are doing..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2J4KdQQIzW4
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mz0nGfqCIxs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gUMFN8JPpU&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-Z3Ggn7Z-U
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-Kfd3A7KFko

sorry for all the links.. just wanted to show that all these vehicles were not meant to do the above, and well they are...

oh crap just one more..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lvqOef9_sL0
Old Apr 22, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by DoughtCom
The Evo IX is my favorite IMO. For those who say the Evo isn't a drag car, it's been proven to be a great drag car. The Evo IX isn't just a track car, it can be a rally car, a drag car, hell.... it can even be a grocery getter.
That's the beauty of the platform, it pwns.
The EVO 8 and 9s are great, but they are terrible drag cars. Yes, they can cut a quick 1/4 mile and with some minor upgrades, a down right fast 1/4. However, you'll quickly start replacing parts if you spend much time running quick 1/4s at the track. They aren't built to put down power at the strip. BTW - I've got an 03 that probably has close to 100 1/4 mile runs on it, so I speak from experience.

I'll add the I really like the X. I've never before thought of an EVO as attractive, but the X is attractive.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Ok, I would never argue that people have made a drag car out of the evo. All my point is that most of what makes the car amazing is its handling. And it is not a secret or random conjecture on my part that this car is rally derived. Rally is road racing.... so the evo is not a drag car

Now if you want to buy a car, then dump a whole lot of money into it making it something that it wasn't, thats fine. You can make any car into anything with alot of money. I would never argue/disagree with that.

oh which brings me to the point that the X could be as fast as an 8/9. Just buy one, gut it, remove everything, and rework the entire engine and you have an X drag car. The 8 second evo's are not evo's anymore. they are an evo frame and thats about it. However, buy any evo, take it to a road course and you will kick ***. Upgrad the intake/exhaust get a flash and now you have a supercar, at least on the road course. Hence why I've said a million times and will always say the EVO IS NOT A DRAG CAR.

Last edited by ddawg1130; Apr 22, 2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Just ask yourself why you bought your Evo... Everyone had a different reason I'm sure. Let people do whatever they want with their car. The evo has proven to be successful as a rally car, a road racing car, a drag car, a street car, and even a drift car.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by importjake00
That may be what you think, but with the new looks alone, the AYC does not matter to me.

and weezy

Those are tenths of a second lol.
Originally Posted by LilRico

Sig material right there!!!!
roflmao! this is what I get for having only a 3 hour sleep. My brain was definitely effed up when I wrote that. I knew my time would come...my first EvoM ownage.

Ah Jake, the NW guys are gonna make fun of me
I'm too embarrassed to meet you guys.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tvbf1
You can't say that the Evo X sucks because it's slower then the VIII/IX. Then that case the Evo VIII/IX would suck because it's slower then the Evo VI TME.
Oh please... the first CT9A Evo was the VII and it caught lots of hell for sucking. And I dont think the X sucks near as bad as the VII did so... chin up!

I believe the TME will continue to be the king long after it can actually rule the other Evo's. The TME has a special place in alot of people's hearts.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX