Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by fevo
is funny the way X-ers calling the others haters
I tried to love X , but i just can't
almost the same way why I didnt get the VIII when it came out ,
the VIII had a open differential , 271HP , no 6 sp , no ACD , I know it will fix those eventually , when it dose , I would hate the VIII I spent more on.

Same for the X , inflated price , lousy seat quailty, misfortune of the MR release date , depressing MPG (seems fixed by reflash now but still ... can do better ) , super small trunk, gained more lbs than lb/ft or HP

I bet lot of those ppl who expressed their dislikes about the X will look at the XI again and try to love it again, dose of HP rise can always makes ppl forget the bads
well let me comment on some things here, if you dont mind.
First the price. you actually get a better deal since you got "almost" a big brake kit -18 rims-wider tires- S-AYC- Aluminum roof on all model and those are very costly and very much justify the base vs base evo price difference. /RS is doesnt count, since they didn't bring it here/

2 the seats are as just as fine like the IX if not better.

3 the MR misfortune... i dont know what you actually talking about, since the MR version didn't come here with the first evo VIII. 2 years later showed up in the states in the VIII.

4 gas milage... i never had evo with this good gas milage before,period. After factory tune and before. But i understand this is personal issues how you drive. But i didn't changed just my cars

it does gained weight via 7 airbags - bigger brakes- bigger tire- bigger rims /so bigger spare tire in the trunk/ etc. it is bad?
Also keep it in mind the JDM IX RS is heavier then the X JDM RS. i think 20 some lb..
so when you need to loose weight there is your good chance to do it

so we can go on.

As i'm really looking around the car more and more, it has a lots of potential. And that is was always about evo's . The hidden talent!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MAin reason x costs too much is cause mitsu has no brand streangth or respect at all right now...
Old Apr 29, 2008, 07:46 PM
Evolving Member

I wish mitsu would do its own 0% financing.. I think they would sell a lot more cars... hell with 0% I'd get one for a DD!
Old Apr 29, 2008, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
well let me comment on some things here, if you dont mind.
First the price. you actually get a better deal since you got "almost" a big brake kit -18 rims-wider tires- S-AYC- Aluminum roof on all model and those are very costly and very much justify the base vs base evo price difference. /RS is doesnt count, since they didn't bring it here/

2 the seats are as just as fine like the IX if not better.

3 the MR misfortune... i dont know what you actually talking about, since the MR version didn't come here with the first evo VIII. 2 years later showed up in the states in the VIII.

4 gas milage... i never had evo with this good gas milage before,period. After factory tune and before. But i understand this is personal issues how you drive. But i didn't changed just my cars

it does gained weight via 7 airbags - bigger brakes- bigger tire- bigger rims /so bigger spare tire in the trunk/ etc. it is bad?
Also keep it in mind the JDM IX RS is heavier then the X JDM RS. i think 20 some lb..

so we can go on.

As i'm really looking around the car more and more, it has a lots of potential. And that is was always about evo's . The hidden talent!
I dun really mind, it is mostly my preference for packaging

for #3 , mitsu was heavily promoting no clutch MR as to 'boarder' their customer base to ppl who cannot drive with a clutch ( read: Most American driver) , it is almost 2009 MY now ... the buzz of evo x is winding down already ... most of the car magazines did test a MR , but hey , u cannot buy it , whats good almost like paper launching a car.

#4 , well ... it is a new engine , it is not having better mpg than the old one and it makes only 5HP more ... i guess i expected a lil more for an all new engine.

I use my car as the only car , so Id rather have 17inch as it is cheaper and easier to maintain. 18" becomes a symbol of sports cars these days , even the lancer GTS has 18" now , almost same logic goes to airbags , the old lancer has 2 airbags as standard so evo got only 2 also
now the new lancer got 7 bags so evo has 7 bags too

All the cars on the market has gone up in price alot anyway .... but i am suspecting a leather + moonroof + gsr will be come the model most ppl will optioned for. I probably will say that would costs $33k ... (if they dun force ppl to have sss before getting those options... i hope not... )

Lets see what XI will have to offer , i bet more research will go back to the engine after SST is sorted out.

Last edited by fevo; Apr 29, 2008 at 09:28 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by brazilbro
I wish mitsu would do its own 0% financing.. I think they would sell a lot more cars... hell with 0% I'd get one for a DD!
No bank in their right mind will back mitsu in such a plan.. WHY? case the brand s two weak and risky...
Old May 6, 2008, 05:49 PM

Im just really execited to see how the Evo X does in the road racing events against its older brother...personlly from what JUN is presenting it seems as it well be far better then any older Evo's at the racing events....any comments on this?

oh and what i still dont get is why people say that if the Evo X has more hp the like 400hp the Evo IX with 350 would still take it...confused? its not like the x weights that much....or does it have to do with the gear ratios in the X that doesnt allow to burn out...from what i heard

Last edited by Romeg6; May 6, 2008 at 06:30 PM. Reason: thought of the non burnout rumor
Old May 7, 2008, 04:51 PM

I like the looks of the X, but I don't think I'd get one. The 4G63 is rock solid and proven to last. I'll give the X a few years and see what happens, but the warranty is a little scary. My 05 MR came with a 10yr 100k on the powertrain and a 5yr bumper to bumper. Right now the X is the only car Mitsu sells without a 10yr warranty (except the Raider). If they have so little confidence in it, then how can I? The 05 also came with a free service every 5k miles up to 45k miles. The X has nothing. If I went and got an X today, the warranty coverage would end before the warranty ends on my 2005. That's just plain sad. If Mitsu would back their car, then I would be willing to get one. They obviously think it's going to break more, so I'll just wait and see.
Old May 7, 2008, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by MRedition05
I like the looks of the X, but I don't think I'd get one. The 4G63 is rock solid and proven to last. I'll give the X a few years and see what happens, but the warranty is a little scary. My 05 MR came with a 10yr 100k on the powertrain and a 5yr bumper to bumper. Right now the X is the only car Mitsu sells without a 10yr warranty (except the Raider). If they have so little confidence in it, then how can I? The 05 also came with a free service every 5k miles up to 45k miles. The X has nothing. If I went and got an X today, the warranty coverage would end before the warranty ends on my 2005. That's just plain sad. If Mitsu would back their car, then I would be willing to get one. They obviously think it's going to break more, so I'll just wait and see.

wow didnt know that but i guess i understand why people can be unsure of the new girl on the block but lot of people that have had small defects have gotton help so far...plus the evo xis starting to rally ...time to let the 4b11 shine and make its own history
Old May 8, 2008, 05:43 AM

Well, I definately don't mean to bash the X. I hope the 4b11 turns out to be as great as people say it is, I'm just being cautious. I love all versions of the Evo, to include the X. Anything that can put up the numbers an Evo does, has all wheel drive and can fill every role (from daily driver to time attack, rally and everything in between) is good as far as I'm concerned. I really don't understand what people have against the X, and I will definately drive one before I make my mind up. I just don't think I'm going to get rid of my 8 anytime soon. Maybe when I'm ready to get rid of mine there will be aother version of the Evo out there
Old May 8, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't plan on getting rid of my VIII either. But the re-sale is so high on the darn thing it didn't make sense to keep it. I only took a 6k loss on a 4 year old car. I don't think you will find anything that competes to that level of depreciation. I hope the X holds the same way.

The X is truly an amazing machine to drive. The cost is worth it imho just to experience the advanced handling electronics. AYC+ACD its just so exhilarating to feel, and nothing on the road gives you that type of enjoyment. At least not in the under 40k price range.
Old May 8, 2008, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Regarding the price, american dollars aren't worth much right now, another aspect that could add up to the cost of an Evo.
Old May 8, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jackygor
Regarding the price, american dollars aren't worth much right now, another aspect that could add up to the cost of an Evo.
+1. No one thinks about that.
Old May 9, 2008, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by PDXEvo
I didn't plan on getting rid of my VIII either. But the re-sale is so high on the darn thing it didn't make sense to keep it. I only took a 6k loss on a 4 year old car. I don't think you will find anything that competes to that level of depreciation. I hope the X holds the same way.

The X is truly an amazing machine to drive. The cost is worth it imho just to experience the advanced handling electronics. AYC+ACD its just so exhilarating to feel, and nothing on the road gives you that type of enjoyment. At least not in the under 40k price range.

Omg this statement is true.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Same thing with me.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Watch the ix spank a both versions of the x an sti, and a G37
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/E...STi_153206.htm

I was waiting for the x because I liked the looks better. It is less boy racer, but in october I read C&D, and motor trends tests and bought a ix, so I had the choice and picked the ix. I wish the ix had the AYC, but the early articles said that the new car was more refined, and less gocart like. The articles said the evo faithful would be disapointed, but the general population would prefer it. Now all the magazines are drinking the cool-aid. As a dailly driver that never goes to the track I am never pushing the limit of lateral G force, but I do accelerate from lights, and past cars, so I'll take fast in a straight line, with a well tested power plant. I also will not drive auto,and I wanted the 6 speed (The Chevy is my wifes).
Old Jun 9, 2008, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
JDM X RS is 220lbs heavier than a IX RS (3130lbs vs 2910lbs).

http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars.../Evo9/main.htm
http://www.japanvehicles.com/newcars...vo10/Evo10.htm

In fact the JDM X RS is heavier than the JDM IX GSR.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX