Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2008, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never considered previous versions of the EVO..even though I knew they were great machines, they looked too race-boy for me...

The Evo X is the first Evo I have considered and I will get one in August...

+ ...its the only model my GF likes...that alone was quite impressive
Old Jun 22, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advan Evo X vs Advan Evo IX

Advan Evo X vs Advan Evo IX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAbD4...eature=related
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

can't say I'm surprised with the outcome. Luv the tri-podding around corners towards the end. The 9sounds so damned quiet compared to the x, which sounds like a damned k20 lawl. The 9 just kept closing the gap until it passed the x up and from then on it was game over.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

It looks like the X was back firing every few seconds. Maybe thats why the 9 was up its *** the whole time till it passed by. I dont think I saw the 9 backfire at all.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep in mind that these are both jap spec models.

The evo IX over there also had AYC (active yaw control) much like that of the X's.

I am sure that a USDM IX and X making the same power and somewhat similar weights would probably have a different outcome.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:24 AM

If the cars that close in specs, I think it just comes down to the driver
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I heard that the japs spec had less HP then the us spec???
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
I heard that the japs spec had less HP then the us spec???
less hp and more torque I think
Old Jun 22, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

The IX was way faster than the X. You could see the IX driver holding back on the first two laps. He was so far behind entering the long straights and easily passed the X on the last lap. Power on the X is down a bit on the IX and the extra 300lbs doesn't help. No real surprise here.

What really irks me is Mitsubishi can easily tune their engine for quite a bit more hp so I don't know why they don't. Seriously, tune it out to a real 320hp and you'll sell quite a few more cars.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

The X hasn't had anywhere near the development time to work on parts like the 9 has and most likely as a result it was lesser modded than the 9 was. Plus as someone else mentioned it was a J SPEC, which for the record doesn't have less power than the US model. They rate many of the Japanese performance cars at 276 HP because of a thing called the "gentleman's agreement" in Japan, which was just a loose agreement by the auto manufacturers for reasons that I am not sure. It is just an underrated, fake number that means nothing. For instance, supra turbos were rated at 276 yet in reality made around 320-330. Skyline GT-Rs were the exact same way.

The evo 9 is no different, rated at 276 in Japan and 286 here, but in reality it makes at least 310. Plus, the Jspec 9 has ayc which the US spec didn't, so that makes the handling differences a lot closer between the two. The X still handles better than the JSPEC 9 because the AWD system is still more advanced and the chassis is a lot better, but you can clearly see where the X lost in that race was the straights, not the turns. I will say this though, robert fuller of robispec showed that the X with coilovers and a catback was faster than a far more heavily modded evo 9 on the same track. I'd be very curious to see a parts list of the two advan cars.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Jun 22, 2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember weight makes alot bigger difference than fancy electronics that alot of times dont do much for professional drivers. The X does need more time though. I guess when we see a few dedicated track cars then comparisons can be made.

Last edited by dbsears; Jun 22, 2008 at 05:40 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

nice
Old Jun 22, 2008, 06:49 PM

It was evident from the start that the 9 had more power & would take it from the start i.m.o, it was just playin around, when it got on the atraightawaw it was just a monster. Howver with more development with the 10, another race like this would be nail biting
Old Jun 22, 2008, 07:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
IIRC there is another thread somewhere about these cars and they were both tuned to the same HP. I guarantee that speed comes from the IX being the smaller and lighter car. People can't have there cake and eat it too. Mitsubishi made the X quieter, roomier in the cabin, and safer. None of that equates into still being faster.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I have looked everywhere and I don't see anything that says that they were tuned to the same horsepower. If you look at the way that the 9 pulls away in the straights you can tell that it has a lot more power. There's no way that a 280 lb difference would equate to that much of a difference in straight line acceleration. I am willing to bet almost anything that the 9 is more heavily modded than the X just from a parts availability point of view. There is WAY more stuff that they could've put on the 9 than what is even available for the X being so new. Look, I'm not trying to dog the 9, I'm just saying that those two cars are most likely not equally modded and thus its not really a fair race.

edit: I just had my wife translate the video for me (she's japanese), ad she said that after lap one that they said that at this point the engine in the X isn't ready yet and needs more parts and tuning. It's kind of vague what they say sometimes, and I was personally hoping for a detailed parts list on the two but no such info was given. For what it's worth they kept saying how much better the handling was, and that impresses me because the JSPEC EVO 9 has AYC and it still doesn't handle as good as the X. That just shows how much better the usdm X handles than the usdm 9. But either way my suspicions were right in that the 9 IS more modded and tuned.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Jun 22, 2008 at 10:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX