Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2008, 08:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
^The 9 "crushed" the X in the straights, not the turns. The X does handle better, this is proven. Your 9, BTW, doesn't have AYC like the JSPEC one in the video so yours doesn't handle anywhere near as well as the one that you just watched. Second, they even say in the video that the X carries an average of 5 mph faster through the medium and high speed turns so I'd say that's pretty definitive proof. It has a higher level of grip and because of the better chassis and more advanced AWD system it is more controllable and doesn't require mid corner correction like the 9 does. That however, is just the tip of the iceberg.

It also doesn't understeer like the 9 does, and it doesn't bump steer like the 9 does. Do I really need to go on? You can say what you want, but the fact is that the X does handle better than even the JDM spec 9 and WAYYYYYYYY BETTER than your US spec, non ayc equipped 9 does. Answer me this also, why is it that robispec was able to put down a faster lap time with a X with just coilovers and a catback than a fully prepped, turbo back and tuned evo 8? I guess that that doesn't qualify as being "proven under racing conditions to actually handle better." Plus, I guess that the evidence from EVERY SINGLE MAGAZINE THAT HAS TESTED IT SO FAR isn't enough to prove it to you either. I'd be "hard pressed" to say that you are not a fanboy.
1. you sit there and paraphrase magazines and I'M the fan boy??? This discussion is about race spec evos, not how stock demo cars feel while writing initial driving impressions.

2. I never mentioned anything about my evo or yours for that matter so don't get all defensive; my evo will happily bend your evo over the sink anyway

3. Maybe the added weight of the X helps keep planted around turns thus giving a higher mid corner mph? Guess what, maybe that same weight added to an ix would keep it planted as well but would take away the straight line and overall lap time advantage..... See, we can all speculate, isn’t it fun?

4. Even the most basic search will show you that AYC isn’t that helpful in a race equipped evo. Furthermore, the RS spec IX’s didn’t come with AYC which is what most race jap spec evos are…. EMMMMMM HOW DOES THAT FACT FEEEELLLLL EMMMMM FEELLLL SOOOOO GOOOD DOESN’T IT????? YYEAAAAHHHH OOOO IIII LOOOVEEEE IITTTT (, I’m going to regret that)

here's my conclusion
you can speculate out your rear allllllll ddaaaayyyyyyyyyyy, but no matter how many times you watch that video, the IX still rocked the X

p.s. I love and respect the Evo X and like I said, it will probably become the race car of choice really soon; i just can't stand it when members speculate and get all defensive when they don't like the outcome

Last edited by Carloverx; Jun 24, 2008 at 09:01 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

It really looked like the 9 was playing with the 10 on the straights... it pasted the 10 with so little effort

I starting to like the X more and more. Would love to have one as a daily driver.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

It would be nice to see what kind of times they both pull on the track without one another on it. It would be even nicer to use a course with less straights to see which one really is better at cornering. A list of mods and money spent would help too.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yawn, this is boring me.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
My understanding was that they raced the non-ayc ones because they had reliability issues with the ayc diff. I think I read that in Evo magazine (it is a British magazine, and no it is not about evos)
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:27 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
This thread is getting combined into the sticky thread... Same old stuff, different day.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
This thread is getting combined into the sticky thread... Same old stuff, different day.
yeah, tuck the video deep deep away, this way no one will see it
Old Jun 24, 2008, 01:30 PM

I previously own the Evo 8 and honestly love the X by far... Everyone has their taste... the important thing here is it's still all an Evolution... But these discussion will go on and on without an end as each person have their own taste.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 01:47 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Carloverx
yeah, tuck the video deep deep away, this way no one will see it
Are they blind in Jersey? Its the top thread of the top X forum. Its even stuck for easy access. It also had an expiring redirect to send the eFighters to the right place.

Here's some links to your precious video so you don't lose it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAbD4QLMQvs
Old Jun 24, 2008, 01:55 PM
EvoM Administrator

C'mon Jersey, that was funny! No laughs?

Here's a balanced review of the X that also feels it doesn't match the IX in certain things, but is a bit better in other things.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lii_pDGCkE8
Old Jun 24, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Really, nobody should be allowed to comment against the IX or the X unless you have really driven it. I have owned both an VIII and currently own a X. They're both badass cars. In my opinion, the VIII was awesome at it's single purpose of being fast. I loved my VIII and I love my X. There are pro's and cons of each car, but the IX guys try to make themselves feel better by picking on the weight of the X. And then this video pops up... Who cares? In just about every US magazine for USDM evo's the X was faster around the track than the IX.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

i've had an 8, 9 and 10 and I do like the 10 the most of the 3. The 8 and 9 were def badass like the above poster mentioned, but the X feels like more of a 35k car OVERALL. I wouldnt compare it to an audi or bmw, or use the word luxury to describe it, just seems like its not as raw. Did I appreciate the raw feeling of my previous evos? of course. The rawness was awesome. But for an EVERYDAY car, the X has it beat in my book. Everyone who hates on the X talks about weight, and they want a raw car. Drive a RAW car with a loud fuel pump, loud exterior noise, etc... every single day, 20k miles a year and you'll be sick of it.

I let a friend of mine who owns a 9 mr drive my X and he was in love with the quieter cabin, and aesthetics of the interior. You also sit way lower in the X, which is nice to me as well.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Steve@NrgTech
i've had an 8, 9 and 10 and I do like the 10 the most of the 3. The 8 and 9 were def badass like the above poster mentioned, but the X feels like more of a 35k car OVERALL. I wouldnt compare it to an audi or bmw, or use the word luxury to describe it, just seems like its not as raw. Did I appreciate the raw feeling of my previous evos? of course. The rawness was awesome. But for an EVERYDAY car, the X has it beat in my book. Everyone who hates on the X talks about weight, and they want a raw car. Drive a RAW car with a loud fuel pump, loud exterior noise, etc... every single day, 20k miles a year and you'll be sick of it.

I let a friend of mine who owns a 9 mr drive my X and he was in love with the quieter cabin, and aesthetics of the interior. You also sit way lower in the X, which is nice to me as well.
I was so very close to saying something identical to what you said! You hit the nail right on the head with your review!
Old Jun 24, 2008, 04:09 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
True but the X should NOT underperform the 9 in any areas... Everything should be improved even if only slightly in the X or equal to the 9...

-handling/cornering
-straight line accel/speed
-same or less weight
-or more power to offset added weight
-fuel economy
By this logic, the 7,8,9, and 10 all fail compare to the 6.
Every iteration of Evo has become heavier, not lighter. The 6.5 is still the fastest on a track, and is heaps lighter than the 7 so it gets better fuel economy.

Evolve means to change, not to attain perfection, which would be a ridiculous expectation of a car manufacturer.

Evo 6 purists that found the 7 to be a letdown are not really any different than 9 guys that don't like the 10.

Having owned an 8, 9, and 10, there are things about each that are the better than the other two.

Lots of guys that hated the X are coming around, and that's good. We are all Evo owners and should all try to support each other. There are Subarus to defeat out there.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
the advan ix vs x is a different type of thread compared to this one, as this is a specific case in which both cars are tuned and begin to explore their potential and abilities with modifications. comparing tuned cars is completely different from comparing stock cars.

i honestly wish i had a x for my dd. understandably, i will be waiting a year or two, just like i waited when the viii first came out. also the real world is different from the track. it really just depends what you want. 95% of the performance + 1000% times the comfort or 100% performance?

In this case of tuned cars, the lap times tell the story.

Noize, you've done a good job moderating the threads and controlling the hate from both sides, while maintaining an unbiased opinion. Please continue to do so. I felt the two threads were different, as the advan ix vs x video shows a specific case comparing two tuned cars.
But, you're the boss =]

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX