Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not exactly sure what can beat a X that costs $34,000... An STI? NO. A Mazdaspeed 6? NO. A BMW 135i? NO. A Mustang? NO. An R32? NO. Hmm.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
So the EVO x is still the fastest car 0-60 in class and price range????????
There is more to a car than 0-60, if you think so, than your world is small indeed.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

The X just keeps getting faster with every new reflash from dealer. It is responding very well to mods placed on it and tuning. In fact all the tuners are saying they are gettting more power out of the X than they did with equal mods to previous generations. A person that pulls up next to the light with the X with the second factory reflash better have his A game on or just a flat out way faster car. The X will go well beyond what the IX ever did Im sure, just like the IX did to the VIII. I do think the X wasnt quite finished when they shipped, but it is getting better everyday.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by dcasandman
The X just keeps getting faster with every new reflash from dealer. It is responding very well to mods placed on it and tuning. In fact all the tuners are saying they are gettting more power out of the X than they did with equal mods to previous generations. A person that pulls up next to the light with the X with the second factory reflash better have his A game on or just a flat out way faster car. The X will go well beyond what the IX ever did Im sure, just like the IX did to the VIII. I do think the X wasnt quite finished when they shipped, but it is getting better everyday.

True, but would you recommend getting one right now or wait a bit longer?
Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:08 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I meant the SRT4..lol
I know what you meant. The SRT-4 is slower than the X stock.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancer_styles
True, but would you recommend getting one right now or wait a bit longer?
If I had a IX, I would wait until all the aftermarket stuff is out as well as all the tuning options for the X.

If I wanted the MR I would definitely wait 6months cause it looks like they are having a few problems of the truck that will be easy fixes but it sucks to have a car that is brand new getting something fixed in the shop. Plus the huge mark-up at some places.

If I wanted an EVO and did not already have a IX, I would definitely go ahead and but an X. I personally have never owned an EVO until the X. I always was a fan from how it always kicked butt on all the super cars on trials, but I also didnt really like how previous generations looked until the X came out. I got the GSR cause I figured going to the track I would be replacing a few clutches in the cars life time and figured the MR would be pretty dam expensive to replace if I cooked its transmission. (Im sure the MR will probably be the superior track tool, but clutches are cheap) I think the GSR is primed to buy right now.

I will also add the performace difference between the 2 cars is very small stock, and you would have to be an incredible driver to take each to its limits. The testers in magazines are professionals and depending on the publication there are only tenths of a second difference between each car on the track which could be the difference in a head wind coming down the straight.

I know very wordy let the flaming begin.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by sblvro
actually not true, since we are discussing the evo 6-6.5(or TME) vs the rest of the line-up. the 6-6.5 were both products of mitsubishi/ralliart-therefore not a modified but part of the mitsu line-up (like the SE vs MR). It was being sold in the UK as a grey market and under the banner of ralliartuk(now www.xtreme-uk.net) and that is where they produced the evo extreme, evo zero fighter. Colt car of UK wanted a piece of the action hence all evo will be coming from them=FQ versions. In the meantime ralliartuk's name was changed to xtreme-uk.net. They still sell evo's but no FQ's only extreme models, etc. the tme was a factory-backed evo.

"actually not true, since we are discussing the evo 6-6.5(or TME) vs the rest of the line-up. the 6-6.5 were both products of mitsubishi/ralliart-therefore not a modified but part of the mitsu line-up (like the SE vs MR)"

Sorry guys my fault, i didnt know the MR vs GSR the MR comes with different tune/ so the regular VI going 280 bhp vs the TME 330 bhp... that is a hefty 50 bhp extra. And yes i wouldn't call it extra tuned car too / , quicker lock to lock steering ratio, lower center of gravity, different front bumper, different turbo etc.
So anyway i was wrong, the TME is not tuned car / agains all odds with extra 50bhp/just a base and usual VI with cosmetics upgrades. Just like the SE vs MR, with different tranny and suspension. /i didn't mentioned that, but it was different in the VI vs TME too/ So when you compere the TME to the regular IX is completely fair.
And yes the VI is faster then a IX And there was no reason why some called it 6.5 ... Because the TME come out with different trim . Like you guys stated:
GSR or RS or RS2 . But wont matter all was a TME, just different options for comfort. So there is no difference between the VI and the TME just as much like between the GSR vs MR no more than that. You guys won i give up. Seriously.

Too bad i post those stuffs for nothing

well my head is too hard to put something into it which is i know from first hand is not true. Some how i'm a non believer until i got proven wrong, front in my eyes.
You can hate me for that.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So the EVO x is still the fastest car 0-60 in class and price range????????
No a 135i is faster 0-60 and in strait line. Evos are faster in the corners. To 120mph the 135i puts over 2sec gap on the X. They are also just as fast as IX's in the 1/4 and faster at 40mph+
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:15 PM
EvoM Administrator

Unhappy

Originally Posted by dbsears
No a 135i is faster 0-60 and in strait line. Evos are faster in the corners. To 120mph the 135i puts over 2sec gap on the X. They are also just as fast as IX's in the 1/4 and faster at 40mph+
The 135i is definitely not in the same class as the X- 2 door coupe RWD vs 4 door sedan RWD. Its also not really in the X's price range, particularly since most BMW dealers are unwilling to discount them hardly at all. If the price was closer, there would be an Alpine White 135i in my garage right now.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its technically not in the same class per say but $$$ wise it is. Base models are $34.9k which is pretty much a GSR. A damn near full loaded one is 40k which is even a touch lower than loaded MR's at 43k. I'd have one in my garage too if the front end looked a tad different. I would enjoy 370whp and 420wtq with just a tune and exhaust though.

Edit: Don't mean to go OT but thought I would share a pic for you

Name:  Jeff-1.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  137.4 KB

Last edited by dbsears; Jun 25, 2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Dealer I was just at had the I35 priced in the mid 40s to low 50s. Did not see on car in the 30s on the lot. I was there looking to buy the X5 for the wifey
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:21 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by dbsears
Its technically not in the same class per say but $$$ wise it is. Base models are $34.9k which is pretty much a GSR. A damn near full loaded one is 40k which is even a touch lower than loaded MR's at 43k. I'd have one in my garage too if the front end looked a tad different. I would enjoy 370whp and 420wtq with just a tune and exhaust though.

Edit: Don't mean to go OT but thought I would share a pic for you

Pssssh. You could load a 135i to over 55k if you wanted. BMW has no end to options. At an MSRP of $39500, all I had was manual transmission $0, sport package $1100, black leather $1450, and upgraded Hifi $895. There's a destination of $875, and most dealers won't haggle that off.

I got my SSS GSR for $3k off sticker. Ask a Bring More Wallet dealer to do that, and they'll laugh you out of there. You can't get them cheap, believe me, I've tried. Not to mention, I'd have to order the car and they'd build it in Germany and then ship it over, a cool two month wait. All the cars dealers order have a crapload of options to jack up their profit margin.

The front end bugs me a bit too, but not terribly. I would having no problem giving up my current car's superior on-track performance to have a whip like that one in your pic. Plus my wife would stop saying "I hate this car. The exhaust is so loud..."
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excess Lancer, I think that you and Boostez ought to get together and go bowling. You two would be like peas in the pod. On a side note, Seth I still can't believe that you would pick the beamer over the X. I know that the wife doesn't like it, and if you don't rail through the twisties or hit up the track often then it's perks are kind a lost, but the beamer is not the track beast that the X is and never will be.

Sure, it's faster in a straight line because it's much lighter and RWD, but it can't even touch an X in the turns, even if it had a rear limited slip instead of that stupid electronically controlled rear brake wanna-be LSD. If you spent the money that it would take to put a rear LSD on that car and some wide wheels and sticky tires it would be awesome. However, take that same money and put it into the X with some wider wheels and tires and the handling advantage would still be on the X's side.

Plus, because the EVO is so much cheaper to mod you'd have enough money left over for a reflash, which would take away that straight line advantage that the beamer has. I don't know man... I know you're in a different place in life now that you're becoming an old fart (just kidding), but I guess I don't mind the rougher ride and lack of luxury for what amounts to a more capable performance machine. Not only that but the X is a much better looking car, well on the outside at least. Get inside and it's a different story (damn BMWs and their nice interiors ). I'll call U back tomorrow BTW.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Jun 25, 2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dcasandman
Good explanation...
I guess its a good thing they can just hook it up to a computer and improve it...
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:56 AM
Account Disabled

I meant the SRT4..lol
If that's what you meant he's still right.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX