Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2008, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
for own interested
Old Jun 26, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have nothing against the 10 but I can't believe people are willing to pay $40k for one.

If you are a track **** why would buy and EVO10 right now? Why not lightly mod a 9 and track the crap out of it. Maybe when the 10/11 is ready for prime time and they can be purchased for $25k like very low mileage 9s then it makes sense but otherwise it is down right foolish.

With all the bells and whilstles available right now in real time which cars are dominating at the track?

I've encountered 2 fully tweeked EVO10s at the track .... one of which BR claimed to be the baddest 10 they've ever driven. They are faster than most track cars but the E8/E9 still have so much power and known suspension tricks that the 10 cannot hang. Its like running a E9 against a C5 ZO6. Not the same class.

I'm sure eventually they will. But they simply cannot compete at this time.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVIL_EV0
I have nothing against the 10 but I can't believe people are willing to pay $40k for one.

If you are a track **** why would buy and EVO10 right now? Why not lightly mod a 9 and track the crap out of it. Maybe when the 10/11 is ready for prime time and they can be purchased for $25k like very low mileage 9s then it makes sense but otherwise it is down right foolish.

With all the bells and whilstles available right now in real time which cars are dominating at the track?

I've encountered 2 fully tweeked EVO10s at the track .... one of which BR claimed to be the baddest 10 they've ever driven. They are faster than most track cars but the E8/E9 still have so much power and known suspension tricks that the 10 cannot hang. Its like running a E9 against a C5 ZO6. Not the same class.

You buy an EVO X cause you just like it. For 40k you get a car that beats a 911 80k+ and a Lotus 50:+ around a track by a good margin, and almost matches the time of the v12 audi 120k+. Plus I just really like the look of the car. For me I was looking for a good all around performance car and the EVO caught my eye..
Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with a lot of things you are saying. I'll be the first to admit that if I was building a racecar I would still own my VIII. Like you suggested, that probably would have changed in a few years due to the aftermarket being way too limited right now. It's impossible to compare the two cars as far as modified ones go. I also agree that X's for $43,000 are pushing it. But I also thought IX's for $36K were a bit pricey too. I wish more IX owner's would post intelligent thoughts like yours, instead of "screw the X, it's heavy, it's luxurious, etc..."
Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
I agree, it should not be called the EVO X it should be called the RalliartX, and the Ralliart should be the "Lancer GTS- turbo"

The EVO name should be on a car the completely outclasses the 9 in terms of performance
Yeah, that's what they should've done, you're right!
Old Jun 26, 2008, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't see most people purchasing the 10 for track cars. For the majority the boy racer wasn't they image or ride they were looking for. Some people just like to DD a car that has the potential to put the smack down if need be.

I'm more of purist myself. I don't like ACD, AYC, or ABS. I preferred the rawness of my 8 over the dodads on my 9 but thats because its a track car and not my daily driver. I wouldn't want to drive my track car 50 miles to work each day.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
I agree, it should not be called the EVO X it should be called the RalliartX, and the Ralliart should be the "Lancer GTS- turbo"

The EVO name should be on a car the completely outclasses the 9 in terms of performance
Agreed!
Old Jun 26, 2008, 04:20 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts

EVIL_EV0-

I agree with some of what you are saying and can appreciate your opinions. This is not an attack against you, rather a reply to the this stupid $40,000 number that keeps getting brought up. The straw that broke the camel's back, if you will.

The beauty of the vBulletin forums is that you can extend search dates and look up more data. The IX was an 06 model, but they had stopped being produced by the end of 2006. I bought my IX and my X from South Coast. I bought my IX in December of 2006, and it was the last Electric Blue one they had at that location at the time (others were transferred later).

Here is their December ad:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=238377

A standard IX could be had for $28,599. The prices did eventually go cheaper later, as they will with the X, but that was because they were getting transfers and trying to clear cars off the lots. There were times in early 2007 when dealers could not sell Evos.

Here is their May ad:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=342884

A base Evo X GSR can currently be had for $29,999. The base GSR X compares best to the straight IX. Neither had HIDs, neither has the upgraded radio, no sunroof, etc.

But I hold that for $1400, the new GSR is a much better car. First of all, its safer. It has seven airbags instead of two. Second, it has cruise control. Third, it has a more advanced AWD system, with Super AWC that has stability control in three modes- off, braking assist only, or braking assist and throttle cut. Lastly, another part of SAWC is the active yaw control, which makes the X the first Evo in the USA to actually be a full fledged GSR. To me, SAYC alone is worth more than double the price difference. Its an awesome part of the car and substantially reduces understeer.

The last point to drive home is that the IX has not depreciated much. That's great for sellers, but crap for buyers. Why in the world would I par $25k-$26k for a two year old car that probably has in excess of 30,000 miles when I could have a brand new one with lots more options for 4-5k more?

The X is coming along quickly, and IMO if you want to be really competitive in local SCCA events, you should be looking at a Corvette or an older Miata anyway.

I think the X represents a great value and is a great handling car with huge potential that keeps getting more revealed every week as people modify them in different ways.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
pluss the X has bigger rims and tires and they are also wider, bigger brakes wich is almost indentical by size with the Project MU BBK!'
So little upgrades and bigger steps vs a same upgrades in the IX.
battery in the trunk, some already know how important it is. etc. Also All modell comes with aluminum roof etc.
so value vs value the X gsr destroys the IX gsr.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
I don't see most people purchasing the 10 for track cars. For the majority the boy racer wasn't they image or ride they were looking for. Some people just like to DD a car that has the potential to put the smack down if need be.

I'm more of purist myself. I don't like ACD, AYC, or ABS. I preferred the rawness of my 8 over the dodads on my 9 but thats because its a track car and not my daily driver. I wouldn't want to drive my track car 50 miles to work each day.
Exactly....It seems that some people that have X's have little track experience but from they read is megazines they assume its a track monster. The X is excellent at what is was marketed for. I more refined version of an evo but less raw and better safety but heavier. What part of that equation turns into a better track car? I could guarantee that atleast 50% of the people that buy X's will never track them. The reason people bought VIII and IX's was its easy to make them fairly light and cheap to make them stupid fast.

The reality of it is over time they will do just fine at the track like over other evo has. But for it to outperform other MODIFIED evos that are lighter it will be hard. I have personally seen two X's at the track and both times were slower than equivalent IX's. But ride in one and daily drive one you don't have the squeeks, groans, loud engine, etc. I think for somebody that wants a car they can daily drive and hit up the track every now the X is supurb. To use it as a weekend warrior and race against modified VIII's, IX's, z06, etc its going to be hard.

Last edited by dbsears; Jun 26, 2008 at 04:58 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dcasandman
You buy an EVO X cause you just like it. For 40k you get a car that beats a 911 80k+ and a Lotus 50:+ around a track by a good margin, and almost matches the time of the v12 audi 120k+. Plus I just really like the look of the car. For me I was looking for a good all around performance car and the EVO caught my eye..
I don't know what youtube video you watched are what megazine you read but a X will not beat a Lotus elise or 997 911 around a race track. Btw the audi is only 8cyl not 12 and its not that close to the R8 if thats what you are referring too. I have both witnessed Lotus and 997's with capable drivers around a track and they are fast.

I mean come on a Z06 or Skyline can barely outrun a 911 how is the X? The Lotus has less power but over 1000lbs lighter and runs A048's stock? Its hard for any stock evo to keep up with them. Problem is very few people can drive them to their full potential.

Last edited by dbsears; Jun 26, 2008 at 05:17 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 05:25 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
I don't know what youtube video you watched are what megazine you read but a X will not beat a Lotus elise or 997 911 around a race track. Btw the audi is only 8cyl not 12 and its not that close to the R8 if thats what you are referring too. I have both witnessed Lotus and 997's with capable drivers around a track and they are fast.

I mean come on a Z06 or Skyline can barely outrun a 911 how is the X? The Lotus has less power but over 1000lbs lighter and runs A048's stock? Its hard for any stock evo to keep up with them. Problem is very few people can drive them to their full potential.
He's talking about this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qreQwTeaVWY

A Z06 can barely outrun a 911? I'll have some of what you're smoking please. The base 911 is no match for a Z06. Turbo, yes, but NA 911, no. Evo's can beat Elises because the Elise doesn't have the power. It may be quicker in and out of corners but it loses steam on the straights. Compare it to the Exige S and it's a different story. No match for the R8 though, or the Skyline.

Oh, here's the times just in case you're lazy:
Track Times
GT-R 1:25.68
R8 1:26.92
Evo 1:29.20
911 1:29.25
Elise 1:29.49
STi 1:30.05

Street Times
GT-R 2.04.35
R8 2.04.68
Evo 2.06.91
011 2.09.51
Elise 2.10.19
STi 2.10.72

Last edited by UFO; Jun 26, 2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UFO
He's talking about this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qreQwTeaVWY

A Z06 can barely outrun a 911? I'll have some of what you're smoking please. The base 911 is no match for a Z06. Turbo, yes, but NA 911, no. Evo's can beat Elises because the Elise doesn't have the power. It may be quicker in and out of corners but it loses steam on the straights. Compare it to the Exige S and it's a different story. No match for the R8 though, or the Skyline.

Oh, here's the times just in case you're lazy:
Track Times
GT-R 1:25.68
R8 1:26.92
Evo 1:29.20
911 1:29.25
Elise 1:29.49
STi 1:30.05

Street Times
GT-R 2.04.35
R8 2.04.68
Evo 2.06.91
011 2.09.51
Elise 2.10.19
STi 2.10.72

Well I can say out of some Edmunds are usually people I don't consider of top tier reviews. Regardless I assumed he was talking about a turbo 911 which I guess he wasn't. Still the Lotus is faster. Ive been to enough track events, to ride in them and witness what they can do. They are meant for the track and are faster. They are hard to drive and are faster in a strait line too (atleast the SC one which they tested).

Last edited by dbsears; Jun 26, 2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 05:46 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by dbsears
Exactly....It seems that some people that have X's have little track experience but from they read is megazines they assume its a track monster. The X is excellent at what is was marketed for. I more refined version of an evo but less raw and better safety but heavier. What part of that equation turns into a better track car? I could guarantee that atleast 50% of the people that buy X's will never track them. The reason people bought VIII and IX's was its easy to make them fairly light and cheap to make them stupid fast.
Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske

That's ridiculous. I had an VIII and a IX, and the IX just destroyed the VIII in every way imaginable except the fourth gear ratio. My VIII was an 03, and it had a fragile open front diff and a viscous center differential. None of the other 03 Evos had viscous plate diffs overseas. That sucks. IX had a better turbo, Mivec, and way nicer interior appointments. An 05 VIII at least had the ACD and a better turbo than the 03s, but the IX reigns over the VIII, especially the 03. At the same mod level, my IX would rip a hole in my 03 on track.

50% of Evo X guys won't ever track their cars? No kidding! Its the exact same with the VIII and IX. Most people get them to mod them to do ricerbish rolls on the interstate and have never set foot on a real track with turns.

My X is faster through slow and intermediate turns than my IX and faster still than my VIII. Sadly, its a measurable amount slower than my IX in the straights and a whole lot slower than my VIII was. So on a track day where you can get the speed up, I think the VIII and IX are still better choices.

The reality of it is over time they will do just fine at the track like over other evo has. But for it to outperform other MODIFIED evos that are lighter it will be hard. I have personally seen two X's at the track and both times were slower than equivalent IX's. But ride in one and daily drive one you don't have the squeeks, groans, loud engine, etc. I think for somebody that wants a car they can daily drive and hit up the track every now the X is supurb. To use it as a weekend warrior and race against modified VIII's, IX's, z06, etc its going to be hard.
I agree with the first part. The weight is a big hinderance.

But you can go ahead and pull VIII and IX out of there up next to Z06. Unless your SCCA chapter is devoid of talented Corvette drivers, a prepped C5 will crap out a prepped Evo. Its called tire and usable torque. I'm no Corvette fan, but its a much better track car than an Evo could dream of being. Could some Evo beat some Vette? Sure, but let the Vette guy mod too and put a capable driver in both and its sayonara.

Last edited by Noize; Jun 26, 2008 at 05:53 PM. Reason: To include original quote
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Noize...I disagree to a point. I now own a IX and will agree on the street and around town its feels much faster than the VIII. On the track though in stockish form yes its faster. Jeff has much experience tracking the **** out of about any car he's owned. He is definately not the only run to conclude liking their VIII better for an all out track car.

How many RS's do you see being the fastest out of all evos? No ABS, no AYC, and no ACD for VIII's. Since that brings up the VIII's again look at all the major time attack/road race cars. How many are VIII's are there compared to IX's? Look at some of the major track cars (AMS???). Many are VIII's and many are RS's. ACD helps typical drivers but at the track its response and lockup can be intrusive to people that have years of experience.

I think we are misunderstanding each other as far as you are referring to the VIII, IX, and X stock vs stock. I am more referring to capable as a worthy all out track car. Depending on level I still think the IX is definately faster but if you are aiming for an all out dedicated track car I would rather have an 03 with a quaife diff.

On the C5's yea to race in SCCA or organized events pretty much Miata or C5 Z06 is it. A fairly modded evo can keep up fairly easily but when rules are thrown in and there are classes the evo doesn't too do well. Once slicks go on the evo really loses its advantage.

Last edited by dbsears; Jun 26, 2008 at 06:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX