Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by VincentX
With less weight it will be better in all aspects in performance.
True, if it has the same power and drivetrain and weight distribution.

The X weighs more then the IX primarilly due to the AYC, but also due to the much improved safety and other regulations. If you take into account that the X is at least as fast (but really faster) then the IX on a road course (seeing as the evo is a rally car...) then really it becomes clear that stock the X is a better car. It uses technology to more then offset the added weight of a better performing, more livable and safe car.

Looks are personal opinion, and I would take the X's looks anyday. But that is not a viable argument in this thread seeing as looks are subjective.

If you want an evo as a drag car then your not gonna leave it stock. Evo's make impressive drag platforms with ALOT of work done to them. only time will tell how well the X can be modded and what times it will put down on the drag strip. However, seeing as the AYC contributes NOTHING but added weight and extra drivetrain loss then I doubt that the X will be better then the IX at the drag strip.

But who cares, stop focusing on the damn drag strip numbers. This car is a car that outhandles almost anything out there. Lets face it, an infinity FX-50 is as fast at the drag strap as your 8/9 or X. there are many other cars that can go fast in a straight line. what makes the evo special is that it can go way faster around corners, and the X does that better then the 8/9. Power is an easy upgrade (as has been pretty much proven by this point with the X) but handling isn't. I would take the X as a road course platform anyday over an 8/9. if all you care about is 0-60 times, and if your gonna cry about the 0.2 sec difference between the IX and X then you bought, or are looking to buy, the wrong car.

(4.6 best stock evo IX time I've seen, 4.8 best stock evo X time I've seen. Most reviews place the IX at 4.7-4.9 and then X at 4.8-5.0. I should have said a 0.1 sec difference)

But F*CK. all evos kick ***. the 8/9s are remarkable in their ability to be modded and the X seems to be also. I have much respect for any evo owner and I wish I could feel the same about other evo owners. But from the amount of X bashing going on on these forums it seems that alot of you feel differently. Is one truly better then the other? who knows, it depends on what your criteria is and who is judging. Can't we just admit the Evo is awesome and we're all proud to own one, and go back to embarassing other much more expensive cars?

Last edited by ddawg1130; Jul 15, 2008 at 03:14 PM.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 06:38 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by ddawg1130
True, if it has the same power and drivetrain and weight distribution.

The X weighs more then the IX primarilly due to the AYC
Wrong. The Japanese VIII and IX had SAYC and they weigh substantially less than our VIIIs and IXs. The difference in weight is because the new chassis is just bigger, heavier, more reinforced, and has extra safety bits like you mentioned.

However, seeing as the AYC contributes NOTHING but added weight and extra drivetrain loss then I doubt that the X will be better then the IX at the drag strip.
I think you need to read up on what AYC actually is, as you're clearly confused about it. It does not increase driveline loss. Its a rear wheel torque vectoring system and has a substantial effect on the car's reaction at turn in.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
AYC exist since the Evo IV...
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sonicnofadz
600hp on the stock block? Hmmmm...what kind of chronic are you smoking, cuz u need to hook me up son!
Originally Posted by Parikh1234
i agree, if I could get 600 whp on the stock block id order the parts tomorrow!
Well, AGP is holding 30 lbs of boost all the way to redline on a big *** borg warner S200 turbo making 520 AWHP on their dyno. That's easily over 600 at the crank, and it's all being done on stock block and stock internals. Aluminum blocks can hold big power, and you iron block guys need to realize that.

People talk about sleeves amd semi closed block design being weak points, yet OPEN deck honda B series engines can make 700 hp on the stock block with upgraded internals, a good head gasket, and some ARP head studs to hold the top end down.

GM's ECOTEC in a test by GM's racing division found that the stock block and sleeves held up to just over 700hp with the same as the above mentioned on the honda motors. Are you two gonna sit here and tell me that the 4b11 isn't as strong as a couple of econo engines from honda and GM?

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Jul 15, 2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just to get back to the GTR "owning" statements.... The GTR really hasn't honestly set any records.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the...ng-lap-record/

Nissan admitted to using slicks, shock modifications, and they had a flying start on the long straight with start and finish timers in different locations.

You have to remember: The GTR may be a great car, but it's 3,900lbs. and has smaller tires than the Vette.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
Wrong. The Japanese VIII and IX had SAYC and they weigh substantially less than our VIIIs and IXs. The difference in weight is because the new chassis is just bigger, heavier, more reinforced, and has extra safety bits like you mentioned.
True, but I'm talking US market and the "heavier weighing evo X" that people mention is comparing it to the US 8/9. The AYC weighs quite a bit on top of the chassis (which I admittedly didn't specifically mention).

Originally Posted by Noize
I think you need to read up on what AYC actually is, as you're clearly confused about it. It does not increase driveline loss. Its a rear wheel torque vectoring system and has a substantial effect on the car's reaction at turn in.
The AYC uses a hydraulic multi-plate clutch to vector the torque to the left or right. You really don't think there is added driveline loss due to this over a simple LSD? I garuntee that the AYC adds driveline loss and I am also correct that it weighs more.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/media/...E03_AYC_A3.pdf
Old Jul 16, 2008, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Well, AGP is holding 30 lbs of boost all the way to redline on a big *** borg warner S200 turbo making 520 AWHP on their dyno. That's easily over 600 at the crank, and it's all being done on stock block and stock internals. Aluminum blocks can hold big power, and you iron block guys need to realize that.

People talk about sleeves amd semi closed block design being weak points, yet OPEN deck honda B series engines can make 700 hp on the stock block with upgraded internals, a good head gasket, and some ARP head studs to hold the top end down.

GM's ECOTEC in a test by GM's racing division found that the stock block and sleeves held up to just over 700hp with the same as the above mentioned on the honda motors. Are you two gonna sit here and tell me that the 4b11 isn't as strong as a couple of econo engines from honda and GM?
What all you aluminum block guys fail to realize is that OF COURSE you can make 500-600-700 hp on the 4b11 for a few runs. I will bet my life that the little 4b11 is not going to live for very long making 500-600 whp. Its pure physics. Aluminum is weaker, is more flexible, and has a lower melting point than iron. Over time all that high heat, pressure, and torque will cause the block to twist and mis-shapen. It is too early to tell what kind of power the stock 4B11 can reliably hold, but I am willing to bet that its not much more than 400whp. ALSO, its reliability at higher horsepower levels (with forged aftermarket internals) will also probably be pretty crappy. For instance, just take a look at the subby engines. While they in general can hold lots of power, they definitely seem to break WAY more frequently than high hp 4G63's. IRON IS STRONGER. ITS PROVEN. Its also heavier though... Guys, the 4G63 is the most powerful 2.0L engine ever conceived and it will probably be that way for a long time.

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Jul 16, 2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

What all you aluminum block guys fail to realize is that OF COURSE you can make 500-600-700 hp on the 4b11 for a few runs. I will bet my life that the little 4b11 is not going to live for very long making 500-600 whp. Its pure physics. Aluminum is weaker, is more flexible, and has a lower melting point than iron. Over time all that high heat, pressure, and torque will cause the block to twist and mis-shapen. It is too early to tell what kind of power the stock 4B11 can reliably hold, but I am willing to bet that its not much more than 400whp. ALSO, its reliability at higher horsepower levels (with forged aftermarket internals) will also probably be pretty crappy. For instance, just take a look at the subby engines. While they in general can hold lots of power, they definitely seem to break WAY more frequently than high hp 4G63's. IRON IS STRONGER. ITS PROVEN. Its also heavier though... Guys, the 4G63 is the most powerful 2.0L engine ever conceived and it will probably be that way for a long time.

Well, aluminum blocks can hold big power reliably for as long as any engine would need to last as long as they are using good components and are built right. Your response was typical of an evo 9 owner, so I am not surprised that you would say something like that.

You are free to think what you want, but you need to do some more research. There have been many cases of 4g63s letting go after 20-30thousand miles of making 400-450 whp because at the end of the day, big boost and high temps over prolonged periods of time will fatigue an engine no matter what it's made of.

I guess you're right though, aluminum sucks. Matter of fact, we should call bugatti and tell them to stop using it in the 1000 hp veyron, as well as nissan for using that crap in the new skyline. Hell, while we're at it, let's call chevy and tell them that the ZO6 uses a POS engine, and we may as well call Ferrari and tell them that their cars suck too. What a bunch of idiots they are. I guess that mitsu really dropped the ball on this one.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Jul 16, 2008 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:21 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What all you aluminum block guys fail to realize is that OF COURSE you can make 500-600-700 hp on the 4b11 for a few runs. I will bet my life that the little 4b11 is not going to live for very long making 500-600 whp. Its pure physics. Aluminum is weaker, is more flexible, and has a lower melting point than iron. Over time all that high heat, pressure, and torque will cause the block to twist and mis-shapen. It is too early to tell what kind of power the stock 4B11 can reliably hold, but I am willing to bet that its not much more than 400whp. ALSO, its reliability at higher horsepower levels (with forged aftermarket internals) will also probably be pretty crappy. For instance, just take a look at the subby engines. While they in general can hold lots of power, they definitely seem to break WAY more frequently than high hp 4G63's. IRON IS STRONGER. ITS PROVEN. Its also heavier though. Guys, the 4G63 is the most powerful 2.0L engine ever conceived and it will probably be that way for a long time.
I don't even need to read this. It's most likely a whole paragraph of delusional fanboyism.

Last edited by VincentX; Jul 16, 2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 08:11 PM
Evolved Member

Well, aluminum blocks can hold big power reliably for as long as any engine would need to last as long as they are using good components and are built right. Your response was typical of an evo 9 owner, so I am not surprised that you would say something like that.

You are free to think what you want, but you need to do some more research. There have been many cases of 4g63s letting go after 20-30thousand miles of making 400-450 whp because at the end of the day, big boost and high temps over prolonged periods of time will fatigue an engine no matter what it's made of.

I guess you're right though, aluminum sucks. Matter of fact, we should call bugatti and tell them to stop using it in the 1000 hp veyron, as well as nissan for using that crap in the new skyline. Hell, while we're at it, let's call chevy and tell them that the ZO6 uses a POS engine, and we may as well call Ferrari and tell them that their cars suck too. What a bunch of idiots they are. I guess that mitsu really dropped the ball on this one.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your not getting what I'm trying to say...yes a big displacement aluminum engine is fine for reliability, and actually I agree that for large displacement v6s,v8s,v10s & especially v12s, aluminum is the definite way to go. But when it comes to extracting as much as 600-700whp out of 2.0 liters, iron is the clear cut way to go. There isn't an aluminum 4 cylinder engine that I've seen to date that can beat the high horsepower capability and reliability of the 4G63. When its time to put down more than 200 hp worth of pressure to each cylinder, the surrounding aluminum block material just doesn't hold as well as cast iron (especially over time). I'm not a 9 fanboy, I don't own an 9. I'm more of a DSM fanboy than anything else, and I've blown ALOT of 4G63's up with some ****ty tuning. Maybe I'm wrong and the 4B11 proves to be the next big thing in high horsepower 4 cylinders, but there is this gut feeling that I have that says that it will choke once you try to make serious power. You quote aluminum engines that 700whp, I don't see too many making 1000+ whp like you do with 4G63's (there are many, many, 1000+ whp evo's and DSM's running around). Brent Rau is making over 1400whp in his eclipse, with a 4G63 (thats 700whp per liter)...and god knows how much shepherd is making in that evil *** talon...

Last edited by sonicnofadz; Jul 17, 2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

Honda motors are sleeved. They are also race engines. U try that on an open deck motor in a k or b series and It"ll blow.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 06:19 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by ddawg1130
True, but I'm talking US market and the "heavier weighing evo X" that people mention is comparing it to the US 8/9. The AYC weighs quite a bit on top of the chassis (which I admittedly didn't specifically mention).

The AYC uses a hydraulic multi-plate clutch to vector the torque to the left or right. You really don't think there is added driveline loss due to this over a simple LSD? I garuntee that the AYC adds driveline loss and I am also correct that it weighs more.

http://www.mitsubishicars.com/media/...E03_AYC_A3.pdf

It weighs a smidge more, but in no way responsible for any worrisome curb weight increase like you were inferring.

Dyno4mance dynoed and tuned an Evo VII with AYC. Guess what? It made exactly the same power as an equally modded US market 2003 model Evo VIII.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:32 AM
Account Disabled

An 2003 Evo VIII only has a vicious coupling center differential too and the Evo VII has ACD.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 7oey
Honda motors are sleeved. They are also race engines. U try that on an open deck motor in a k or b series and It"ll blow.
Well there are b series honda engines doing exactly what you think is impossible. Oh, and the 4b11 is sleeved also, and is semi closed, not open. Do some research buddy.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX