Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thegame
Where am I wrong here? Someone please tell me? The 4B11 is superior stock for stock. The only thing I give to the 4G63 at this point is the ability to handle high high power. And that very well could change.

The drivetrain is bulletproof. Tranny is the strongest yet to be in an evo. And let's not forget the differentials with the AYC.

The chasis is superior as well by being stiffer.
ok,,,i neever said that the evo X is a bad car...never.this car has his goods.like his forerunners.
and the AYC was build in european cars evos IX.so that just come to the us market...now...
good luck.. with your car.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
there is a difference between AYC , S-AYC . S-AWC....
all around the world this a new system, nobody had it before. Only the X have it.
Got a same doubt though , just like the Evo IV with the AYC in it in the first time.
But quickly ,less then a year it proved itself.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
One factor since it was brought up was transmisson. I love how some boast about the X having the strongest transmisson ever. Why would that matter. The VIII and IX can already handle 800, 900, and 1000hp. Does it need to be stronger? Thats really a moot point.

I would worry more about shifting smoothness, gear ratios, and the amount of gears. IMO the evo tranny still is not that great in my book. The X shifts like a semi and has way too short of gears and is already having synchro problems. The IX's were pretty good but still short geared and a few synchro problems (save for the 6sp that has tendency to overheat 4th road racing). What they really need to do is make a 6sp like the MR but maybe a hair stronger. Almost all the European and Japan evos come stock with the 6sp as the ratios are very good. Too bad 4th gear likes to overheat. I think they should have Getrag make them a 6sp tranny similiar to the Supras but for AWD and put that in the GSR.
Well, the problem with the 6 speed is that the transmission case can only be so long without lengthening the rest of the car, and thus is the reason why the evo MR trannies are fragile. The transmission case is barely longer in an MR and yet has to fit an extra gear in it over the 5 speed. What this means is that the gear faces are much thinner to accomodate the extra gear. The reason that 4th tends to overheat is that on a high speed track 4th will see a lot of use, and that's just the unfortunate truth of it.

The reason why the X's tranny is better is because it uses basically the MR's slightly longer case but with 5 gears and no dedicated reverse gear, which allowed them to use very thick gear faces that will hold up to serious abuse and heat. The synchro issue is subjective, as it really doesn't seem to be causing any damage but it simply just a rough feeling design.

One person out of several thousand had their tranny replaced and that's it. Mine has gotten much smoother, but I also realized very early on that this tranny needs to be shifted in a very specific way; very slowly for the first few shifts while the car is stil cold, then quickly and positively once it's warmed up. It's pretty easy to get used to really. Sure it's be nice if it were smoother, but it's the nature of the beast.

Mitsu used a really aggressive synchro design to handle abuse and prevent failure when driving at the limit, but it sacrificed smoothness. That and the fact that I think it needs a different kind of fluid, which hopefully they'll fix sometime soon. Anyhow, you probably already knew most of this, but if not then maybe you found this helpful in someway. I know you have mentioned before that if the X's tranny didn't have any issues that there'd be one in your driveway.

The tranny may be a little rough but it's really fine, and with all the other great things about the car, I wouldn't let that hold you back from getting one. Hell, if you really want to be smart about it then wait until the 09 model comes out. It will most likely have a lot of great revisions and improvements, more power and bigger turbo are rumored to be on the list. Either way, I hope that you make the best decison for you.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

there is a good reason why , the road race guys try to get a 5 speed over the 6. Even when they have an MR edition.
In my IX RS i could have change my 5 speed for the 6 MR for free, if i want it too.

why the 09 lancer dakar car using the 5 speed?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 07:59 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
there is a good reason why , the road race guys try to get a 5 speed over the 6. Even when they have an MR edition.
In my IX RS i could have change my 5 speed for the 6 MR for free, if i want it too.

why the 09 lancer dakar car using the 5 speed?
enough of the 6speed vs 5 speed, all FQ wears the 6 speed. the 4th gear of the MR is actually shorter than the GSR(IX) that is why the MR is brutal in the real world because of a shorter 5th gear than the GSR 5th gear and can accelerate from 60mph to topspeed. 09 lancer dakar has 5 speed because it is a rally car? I doubt if you can achieve above 160mph in rough terrain. If it was a high speed track then maybe they will put a 6 speed?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

you will get all your answers in the road racing forum about the 6 speed. As soon as you add power , the 6 speed advantage is vanished. It is good for factory or close to factory level hp. To make the car faster. After that ...
about the rally car. I said it is unique in the rally to have 5 speed sequential, wich means they are almost everyone using 6.
Regardless 120mph or 180mph top speed.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jul 23, 2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
every review between the MR and the GSR said the 5speed pulled harder out of corners and had better ratios then the 6.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 09:57 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by evilution310
every review between the MR and the GSR said the 5speed pulled harder out of corners and had better ratios then the 6.
we always forget this test

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...onclusion.html
Old Jul 23, 2008, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
you forget the IX MR ran faster because of the Bilsteins not a 6 speed.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
What the guy above me said.^ Plus the fact that the X used in this test was not tuned with the proper updates. The hesitation problem slowed this X down a lot. You can see it with the subpar 0-60 times, 1/4 times, and even track times. Yet they still used it in this test. I'm not saying things would have changed with the factory updates, I'm just saying this test just really isn't fair.

Old Jul 23, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
Well, the problem with the 6 speed is that the transmission case can only be so long without lengthening the rest of the car, and thus is the reason why the evo MR trannies are fragile. The transmission case is barely longer in an MR and yet has to fit an extra gear in it over the 5 speed. What this means is that the gear faces are much thinner to accomodate the extra gear. The reason that 4th tends to overheat is that on a high speed track 4th will see a lot of use, and that's just the unfortunate truth of it.

The reason why the X's tranny is better is because it uses basically the MR's slightly longer case but with 5 gears and no dedicated reverse gear, which allowed them to use very thick gear faces that will hold up to serious abuse and heat. The synchro issue is subjective, as it really doesn't seem to be causing any damage but it simply just a rough feeling design.

One person out of several thousand had their tranny replaced and that's it. Mine has gotten much smoother, but I also realized very early on that this tranny needs to be shifted in a very specific way; very slowly for the first few shifts while the car is stil cold, then quickly and positively once it's warmed up. It's pretty easy to get used to really. Sure it's be nice if it were smoother, but it's the nature of the beast.

Mitsu used a really aggressive synchro design to handle abuse and prevent failure when driving at the limit, but it sacrificed smoothness. That and the fact that I think it needs a different kind of fluid, which hopefully they'll fix sometime soon. Anyhow, you probably already knew most of this, but if not then maybe you found this helpful in someway. I know you have mentioned before that if the X's tranny didn't have any issues that there'd be one in your driveway.

The tranny may be a little rough but it's really fine, and with all the other great things about the car, I wouldn't let that hold you back from getting one. Hell, if you really want to be smart about it then wait until the 09 model comes out. It will most likely have a lot of great revisions and improvements, more power and bigger turbo are rumored to be on the list. Either way, I hope that you make the best decison for you.

Yea I understand all the 6sp drama....heard it since they came out. Yet I still have one and it shifts like butter. The new MR's are already gaining speculation about being "weak". Hopefully they aren't.

Your are right though. My plan of attack is to wait for the 09's before getting more interested. Probably fix some of the annoying little things. My major concern is basically the gear ratios...they are really short for road racing and autoX which is what I use my car for. Maybe if I'm lucky they might lengthen them...I doubt it though. MR's are too much $$$, I will never spend more than 30-32k on a mitsubishi again. You pretty much know that there will be a few little problems, the dealers are terrible, and the warranty is worthless
Old Jul 25, 2008, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

What happened to this thread?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=359030
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

^Bad link, I can't access it.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
^Bad link, I can't access it.
Yeah I know. It used to be a thread where someone with a X accidentally shifted into 1st instead of 3rd and over-reved the engine supposedly. He thought he might have done some damage to the engine. A mod was the one to post this link a few pages back, but I guess it either got ugly or was completely false.
Old Jul 28, 2008, 09:54 PM

I like my nine MR. I have yet to drive an X. I personally don't like buying anything in the first year it is out.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX