Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by S6devil
thats like a 2hr drive for me
many guys coming from LI and Brooklyn also from queens and bronx.
It is a big meet , if its not raining.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i think of the evo i think of the famous 4G63! the best 2.0 liter powerhouse in the world! so an automatic Evo with a 4B11? ain't a evo....
Old Oct 16, 2008, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evane
when i think of the evo i think of the famous 4G63! the best 2.0 liter powerhouse in the world! so an automatic Evo with a 4B11? ain't a evo....
4G63 T it has an automatic version... and that was a real automatic not this SSt manual.
So for that comparision the 4G63 T had a worst tranny yet. That makes it a not true Evo??
Old Oct 16, 2008, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
4G63 T it has an automatic version... and that was a real automatic not this SSt manual.
So for that comparision the 4G63 T had a worst tranny yet. That makes it a not true Evo??
No evo in the states ever came with an automatic I really don't agree with the comment above yours but I am not aware of an automatic evo unless you are counting DSM's with a 4G63.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 03:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
No evo in the states ever came with an automatic I really don't agree with the comment above yours but I am not aware of an automatic evo unless you are counting DSM's with a 4G63.
it was the lancer evo 7 gt-a
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/mitsubi...-a-ar3297.html
Old Oct 16, 2008, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dbsears
so if didn't came in the states then it is not exist?

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...bishi_evo.html

no i m not counting any other car in the Evo category.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 16, 2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evane
I'll never understand the hang-up on an engine code, especially when the 4B11 is clearly the superior motor. It runs cooler, smoother, revs easier, and has a better oiling system.

Of course, I do realize that the majority of people on this forum are obsessed with dyno numbers and drag times and the 4G63 has a plethora of aftermarket and a chunky closed-deck iron block so I get that but that really isn't what the Evo was ever intended for nor how I would ever personally use it. To each his own, I guess.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
If you want to talk about regulation, look at the fact that Congress turned down Bush's proposal for more regulation of fannie and freddie. Guess which party controls Congress? Democrats. We wouldn't be in this mess in the first place if it weren't for the democrats. This all started with the democrats passing the "community reinvestment act" that forced fannie mae and freddy mac to lower their lending standards so that a bunch of bums with low income and terrible credit could buy homes; what a great idea this was.

At the time, the banks didn't care that much; hell they actually liked it because the housing market was booming and they knew that when these bums defaulted on their loans that they could just repossess the house and sell it for profit (assuming it appreciated between the time of purchase and foreclosure).

Problem is that when the housing market took a crap they were left with a bunch of forclosures that they couldn't sell. Meanwhile, they kept selling these loans off to wall street, who then sold them off to investors all around the world and lied, calling them AAA secured loans so they could sell more of them. Then we're all left with a big f#cking mess that is our economy now... and it all could've been prevented. Anyway, the bailout was about a lot more then just wall street, it was about bailing out the banks to free up the credit freeze so that the banks could extend credit lines again.

Without this, people couldn't get loans to buy houses, cars, etc, and it would be even more detrimental to our economy. On top of that, people have already lost their 401ks because of what has happened with the stock market, so the last thing they need to be worried about is losing their savings if their bank goes under. This bailout was the lesser of two evils, and was absolutely necessary. I assure you that things would be even worse right now if it hadn't gotten passed, so who cares if the wall street fat cats still get to buy their "houses in the hamptons?" At least life on main street can start recoving.

It's not worth punishing yourself to punish them. Besides, the new revision to the bill had changes made to it, one of them being reduced bonuses for a lot of these guys, so at least they took a small hit for being greedy a-holes and helping get us in this mess. But again, this wouldn't have happened if it weren't for the democrats in the first place so who should you really be angry with? Ask yourself that. Anyway, let's try to get back on topic since this is a car forum, afterall.
I mean i guess in the history of the government democrats and republicans aren't always going to make the right decisions. There's no need to clump them altogether and then point a finger at them. I'm sure there are many things we can point out about republicans.. if we want to point fingers shouldn't we be pointing them at alan greenspan anyway? Sorry so off topic

I think X's are overall better. But I still think Mitsubishi swayed from the evolution image (which they admitted to doing). Who wouldn't have rather picked a X that was lighter, etc. etc.?
Old Oct 17, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
lol I don't consider that one a true evo
Old Oct 17, 2008, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
I'll never understand the hang-up on an engine code, especially when the 4B11 is clearly the superior motor. It runs cooler, smoother, revs easier, and has a better oiling system.

Of course, I do realize that the majority of people on this forum are obsessed with dyno numbers and drag times and the 4G63 has a plethora of aftermarket and a chunky closed-deck iron block so I get that but that really isn't what the Evo was ever intended for nor how I would ever personally use it. To each his own, I guess.
Say if Toyota brought out a new "supra".. Had a new engine, new chassis, new transmission, new drivetrain system.. is it really a "supra"?

But then again this argument applies for every major change in the evo lineup, 4 and 7 i think
Old Oct 17, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
lol I don't consider that one a true evo
me neither , and that was a CT9A chassis and the 4G63T engine...
So why the new platform is not an evo for you?
Old Oct 17, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I think that the decision to make the EVO X a more high end car was a good move even if it means deviating from the rally car image a little bit. However, I think the MR went too far. I honestly don't have an issue with the TC SST, although I think a stick is more fitting for an EVO. My real issue with the MR is the fact that the suspension is softer to give a more comfortable ride at the expense of handling, no doubt to appeal more to prospective BMW and AUDI buyers who are considering the MR, and this to me is unacceptable.

This deviates TOO much from what an EVO is supposed to be all about. Every magazine has confirmed this to be true, and the skidpad and slalom tests show it as well. The GSR pulls an average of .99 Gs while the MR pulls an average of .96 Gs. Slalom speed is also noticeably faster in the GSR as well. I personally am disappointed in the MR, as it has gone too far from it's roots and doesn't accurately represent what an evo should be and what the GSR thankfully still is.

The problem is that mitsu pushes it more than the GSR because they want to recoup on the development costs of the TC SST, so all the magazines use it in the comparison tests and it underwhelms where the GSR would shine. Mitsu needs to realize that they will never compete with AUDI and BMW and that making a cushy, compromised EVO is a recipe for failure. Hell, just look at sales figures of the GSR compared to the MR as proof enough.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; Oct 17, 2008 at 06:11 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

I was under the impression the MR had an 'upgraded' suspension. ??
Old Oct 17, 2008, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nytejade
I was under the impression the MR had an 'upgraded' suspension. ??
In previous years, this was the case with the MR but in the case of the X mitsu took a different direction and made the spring and damper rates softer to give a better quality ride more fitting of the luxury image that is being pushed with the new MR. Again, the problem with this is that it comes at the price of reduced handling performance and this goes against what an EVO stands for. What makes the EVO so special, above all else, is the handling performance and when you compromise that, you've compromised the image of the car.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 11:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
In previous years, this was the case with the MR but in the case of the X mitsu took a different direction and made the spring and damper rates softer to give a better quality ride more fitting of the luxury image that is being pushed with the new MR.
Whadaya mean? The MR has always had softer springs. Look it up

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX