Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2008, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the X is a great car so far. I love my IX and I will not trade it in for an X. But for someone new to Evos the X would be perfect.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 04:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SHADOWPHANTOM
I think the X is a great car so far. I love my IX and I will not trade it in for an X. But for someone new to Evos the X would be perfect.
you dont have to change or trade in for a new evo. You GOT an EVO !!!
Every Evo is an Evo, period.
Shouldn't be ANY debate between them .
The faster EVo is always that one , have a more work done to it.
I even love the EVo 1.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
first time in the US history the USCC champ is an EVO. but the X. the VIII got the 3rd place.
There is no denying how impressive that is. That said, the VIII lost over 60 points to the X in the car show because it was a dirty daily driver (Brownbos ) and well over 50 points in the road race/skidpad tests because it was riding on worn Toyo Proxes (SCC mentioned this twice during the test). Presumably, newer/better tires would have helped it a lot. I'm not saying those two things would have put the VIII ahead, but they would have made it a lot closer to the X in the final standings. Just some food for thought.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Blitz
There is no denying how impressive that is. That said, the VIII lost over 60 points to the X in the car show because it was a dirty daily driver (Brownbos ) and well over 50 points in the road race/skidpad tests because it was riding on worn Toyo Proxes (SCC mentioned this twice during the test). Presumably, newer/better tires would have helped it a lot. I'm not saying those two things would have put the VIII ahead, but they would have made it a lot closer to the X in the final standings. Just some food for thought.
I haven't read the article yet so i cant comment on it. But the fact is still there, the previous evos got 5 year to win that competition or break track record.
And the X started to doing that.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Not to make an argument, but to point out something small

I think people are pretty impressed with the 4b11's ability to make power, and it does make a good amount. Technology has improved a lot, and that's just the thing. Technology has improved. There are a lot of great engines, and parts out now. Engineers have had more and more experience, learning what makes power etc. I don't want to discredit the new parts, but I think I'm just saying that I think a lot of people have been saying how great it is, because of how much power it's made in a short amount of time. I thought I'd point out that it's not THAT amazing that there have been new, great parts developed for the new, great engine, because of the experience and improvements in technology.

For example, the new 3.7L engine in the g37 is now capable of holding 500whp with stock internals. A huge improvement over the old 3.5, and it hasn't been that long. The new technology of the engine, plus experience of the development of parts, has allowed this to happen.

I'm sure some people will disagree, I don't know on what basis, but flame away!
Old Oct 25, 2008, 09:19 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Robevo RS
I haven't read the article yet so i cant comment on it. But the fact is still there, the previous evos got 5 year to win that competition or break track record.
And the X started to doing that.

read the article and you will realize that it was an evo showdown vs the gtr. the fastest straightline was 1st: evo VIII 2nd evo X and 3rd: r35gtr. because of the worn out tires of the evo viii it performed adequately on the lap times but not the best(quick, any tire manufacturer give this school principal some new tires!). as for the 5 year competition, it is what is fast that counts and from the results, it wasn't really a time trial. take the result as it is and whatever comparison between the 8 vs X isn't valid.

what is impressive though with the article is a modded evo(any evo!) can cream the gtr. there is hope!
Old Oct 25, 2008, 11:44 PM
Evolving Member

I just got a evo 9 haha
Old Oct 26, 2008, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sblvro
read the article and you will realize that it was an evo showdown vs the gtr. the fastest straightline was 1st: evo VIII 2nd evo X and 3rd: r35gtr. because of the worn out tires of the evo viii it performed adequately on the lap times but not the best(quick, any tire manufacturer give this school principal some new tires!). as for the 5 year competition, it is what is fast that counts and from the results, it wasn't really a time trial. take the result as it is and whatever comparison between the 8 vs X isn't valid.

what is impressive though with the article is a modded evo(any evo!) can cream the gtr. there is hope!
so who's fault is that? it is a good excuse talking about sorry i had a bad tires...
How ever i 100% agree with you on tire, so ANY racer.
The question IS: Why would you show up an event what you know in advance /big time/ With worn out tires, when you have money?
Because the money wasn't certainly the issue in the VIII if the guy got into that test... /defenietly not a $1500 issue/

You still not can't deny the X success on road course. Or you want to say, in the past 5 years no evo 8-9 showed up with good tires on the track?

this weekend in the straight the 911 porsche was much faster then me... guess what, probably i would lap him in the 15 lap race. So much about straight performance. Since after 2 turns i didn't even saw him anymore. and after about 8 lap i saw him again...

"what is impressive though with the article is a modded evo(any evo!) can cream the gtr. there is hope!"
that was always a case. As long as the Evo got more work done to it. I dont know about the new GT-r. Since i didn't have an article yet.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Oct 26, 2008 at 07:41 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolved Member

I was at LR CT. This weekend. and i can tell you this much in advanced,

i had a IX RS almost fully build race car. From white Line bushing to the sway bars and racing seats , the car was under 3100 lbs and over 360 whp. So you know it.

And i was with my X this time, in rain .
I have Catback/high flow cat/ induction pipe, drop in filter.
Coilovers and R888 tires wich are not perfect /at least/ in the rain.
No rear seats and empty tank. my car about 3300 lbs now. Give or take.

The IX RS wasnt even close about handling to the X . Althoug i assume the X runned significantly slower because i got the TT time in rain. and big wind.

But as we runned the practice laps , on mix surface /rained and stoped and rained/
I got clocked 1minute.6 sec with my X. My best lap with the IX RS on dry was 1minute 4.6 sec at the same track.
So i had at least 40 whp down and at least 180 lb heavier car this time , with ONLY coilover mods in the suspension. And on dry probably would run the same or better time then my previus one.

For me was absolutely convincing day about the X.
Would be hard to change my mind after this event for sure.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 02:18 AM
Account Disabled

i think evo X's are ugly and slow ..
Old Nov 4, 2008, 02:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrJdmJimi
i think evo X's are ugly and slow ..
ugly? I think previous models are ugly but I stay in the X forums rather than going to the previous model years and writing worthless posts. Slow? because it's a tenth slower 0 - 60. Or because you have a IX that is modified and your comparing it to a stock X.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 03:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by trexxx8739
ugly? I think previous models are ugly but I stay in the X forums rather than going to the previous model years and writing worthless posts. Slow? because it's a tenth slower 0 - 60. Or because you have a IX that is modified and your comparing it to a stock X.
If he owned an VIII, he'd probably be hating on the IX. It's all "mine is better than yours" territorial feces-flinging monkey business.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 04:49 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by nytejade
If he owned an VIII, he'd probably be hating on the IX. It's all "mine is better than yours" territorial feces-flinging monkey business.
Originally Posted by trexxx8739

This is the best part of being in a public forum , because i can voice my opinion..

I do not like the x . I do not like the interior with funny looking recaro's .. i do not like dual exhaust on a 4cyl ..Reminds me of a srt4 ..
I do not like how it looks exactly like a normal lancer ..

These are my opinions ..
And i am not saying that the ix is better in anyway ..
Old Nov 4, 2008, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrJdmJimi
This is the best part of being in a public forum , because i can voice my opinion..

I do not like the x . I do not like the interior with funny looking recaro's .. i do not like dual exhaust on a 4cyl ..Reminds me of a srt4 ..
I do not like how it looks exactly like a normal lancer ..

These are my opinions ..
And i am not saying that the ix is better in anyway ..
All Evos look like a normal Lancer. I don't see why this is all of a sudden an issue of contention with the X.
Old Nov 4, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

i think what happened with the X is that Mitsu had no choice but to "modernize" the Evo, u know the 21st century look - like bmw had to do with its 7 series....

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX