Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 06:36 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
No worries. I was waiting for this reply LOL. Like my Sig says: just my opinion. I didn't say either was better than the other and I do have experience with both; I never said I didn't.
As for facts, my saying I'm surprised at his answer doesn't require fact. Again, opinion.
I hope it didn't sound like I'm arguing. I post short sentences that make me sound upset LOL.
The only facts I could provide are the records, stats, etc from what the ct9a has done compared to the X. The last World Time Attack event is one of many examples.
I just don't seem to read or hear as much about the new chassis doing all that. That's why I was saying it surprised me. Not to imply he was wrong (I should have qualified that in my last post)
As for autox, Evos (VIII/IX) are usually 3 of our top 5 FTD, if not THE fastest. Same goes for most of my HPDE or Time Attack events (we always seem to battle it out with GTRs). Now, I'm not the biggest fan of AX, but to say it's not racing can be ranked up there with my opinion on Evos 😛
Having tracked all four differences -- x mr sst, x gsr 5 speed, ix mr 6 speed, viii gsr 5 speed is what i was basing my experience on. I used to do hpdes 4-6 times a year until i got back into motocross. This is what i was basing my experiences on. And to choose one over the other is splitting hairs. But I definitely put up the best times with my X MR.

The rally part I'm basing watching Tanner Foust beat everyone (including travis pastrana) at Oregon Rally. Until beavis gave him a bad call and he missed a turn in the final stage. He was in a X and cleanly beat all subbies (pastrana, block, mirra, deegan) and ct9a chassis (including acp).

Not to mention the countless videos and stats robevo has posted showing the cz4a winning champoinships etc. You should read the gruppe n docs on the cz4a build sometime, they are an eyey opener and really illustrated that the cz4a was built to be a rally beast.

The bible creek uphill event is about 20 miles from my house in roads i grew up driving. I have been put there quite a bit. I can attest i'd rather have a ct9a there as it has an overall smaller feel and the roads are quite narrow. I feel like the ct9a is a little more agile in stock form.

Last edited by migs647; Nov 2, 2015 at 06:41 AM.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
don't hate on another man's motorsport!

they say the only thing harder than road racing is autocross. I hear you guys on the seattime aspect but I love the challenge of it - new courses every time, learning a course in the morning and driving it on the same day. at the same time, inexpensive, easy on the car, and safe! as far as being out in the sun, our region runs 3 heats, and you're in the sun two hours max. another two hours for the heat you drive in, and you're off two hours to eat or watch, ride along, etc.

our region in particular has struggled with road racing (I'm on our region's board) - it just panders to a different and much smaller crowd - while autocross is the everyman's motorsport. autocross has saved our region's financial bacon a dozen times over when road racing has bled money due to low attendance. more recently, this is starting to shift a little with PDX (I think SCCA calls it track night in America), but as far as stability goes, autox takes the cake. it's the one accessible area where CT9As still dominate a few classes (though the SCCA seem to do everything in their power to change that)
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:50 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 815 Likes on 678 Posts
migs647: very informative post. Thank you for that. I'll look it; I'm cutious now. I had no idea the CZ had don't so much.

Kyoo: I know a guy that was a multi-year national champ in SCCA and now drives for Nissan. I completely agree that it teaches serious skills
My ONLY issue has been cost vs seat time. Once I quit winning over that, it's fun LOL.
But road courses is where my heart is.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts
Driving between cones on what is usually a large flat parking lot just does not do it for me. They are usually ~1 minute courses where you pretty much stay in 2nd gear the whole time. Its like the light beer of racing.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 12:53 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by nemsin
Driving between cones on what is usually a large flat parking lot just does not do it for me. They are usually ~1 minute courses where you pretty much stay in 2nd gear the whole time. Its like the light beer of racing.
It's definitely not for everyone (Not really for me, either) but you get out of out what you put in. People can choose to use it to further their skills or not.

Also, not all courses are 2nd gear. A few hit 3rd and one of ours hit 4th:

http://youtu.be/TRzqEai2BMY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRzqEai2BMY&sns=em

Last edited by kaj; Nov 2, 2015 at 01:01 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

this guy is a AutoX champion if iam right , but if he didnt make it then strong second. and there is no Evo front of him

i love his car

Old Nov 2, 2015, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS

this guy is a AutoX champion if iam right , but if he didnt make it then strong second. and there is no Evo front of him

i love his car

usually when people refer to autox champs, they're referring to winners at the solo national championships - 2015 results here.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 07:37 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by kyoo
usually when people refer to autox champs, they're referring to winners at the solo national championships - 2015 results here.
1st in F street is my buddy, in a borrowed car LOL.
I didn't see any Xs on the results, but it's possible missed some? TONS of VIIIs and IXs, though. Pretty cool, IMO. Mitsu representing.

And yay for tripodding. I once drove a stock VIII that did this, on Hoosiers LOL

Last edited by kaj; Nov 2, 2015 at 07:44 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 09:42 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
migs647: very informative post. Thank you for that. I'll look it; I'm cutious now. I had no idea the CZ had don't so much.
Ill see if i still have the gruppe n specs. If i do, ill send them your way. Makes me severely depressed thinking about the engineers involved in that effort and picturing them working on hybrids now. /wrists
Old Nov 3, 2015, 04:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
yeah, i am not an AutoX expert or follower. He and several people's on track told me he is or will be this year. lol
anyhow he won that day in Pocono. and they pushed me in to run too with my street car. He even gave me his wheels and tires make sure i will run. lol I was there just for spectating.

Name:  20150613_112529_zpso0yyj5bu.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  5.34 MB
Old Nov 3, 2015, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
yeah, i am not an AutoX expert or follower. He and several people's on track told me he is or will be this year. lol
anyhow he won that day in Pocono. and they pushed me in to run too with my street car. He even gave me his wheels and tires make sure i will run. lol I was there just for spectating.

lol I don't doubt it, he looks beast
Old Nov 3, 2015, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
holy wheel lift batman that looks insane
Old Mar 1, 2016, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
I didn't see any Xs on the results, but it's possible missed some? TONS of VIIIs and IXs, though. Pretty cool, IMO. Mitsu representing.

And yay for tripodding. I once drove a stock VIII that did this, on Hoosiers LOL

Haha, that's a sick photo!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kaj

scca solo nationals right around the corner! seeing a lot of 8/9s again, but no Xs...

looking forward to seeing the results - 265s should hopefully give the boost buggies a fighting chance in STU again
Old Aug 26, 2016, 01:24 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by kyoo
scca solo nationals right around the corner! seeing a lot of 8/9s again, but no Xs...

looking forward to seeing the results - 265s should hopefully give the boost buggies a fighting chance in STU again
I'm always told how awesome the Xs are, but I never see them being competitive at events, either. I assumed it's due to them being pretty much "outlawed" because of AYC, but who knows?
The one I rode in, at an AX event did a really good job of rotating. It almost felt unnatural.. weird, but effective.

Quick Reply: Evo X vs. Evo VIII and IX