Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Skyline Importation FAQ - Definately worth the read!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2008, 01:39 PM
sly
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow good read. The only nissan i`ll ever buy again would be the nissan violet or j very rare beast and no i`m not comparing it to skyline just saying i loved that car

Last edited by sly; Mar 25, 2008 at 01:42 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 02:15 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by craziazzmofo66
all u e-thugs need to shut up, if u think u can actually get ANY jdm car into this country that arent older than 25 like the article says....than ur a ricer...
Can you please elaborate on that comment?

For those that are interested in an actual Skyline Importation FAQ or any JDM vehicle for that matter I will be posting one in this section by the end of the week.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Broker Pros LLC
Can you please elaborate on that comment?

For those that are interested in an actual Skyline Importation FAQ or any JDM vehicle for that matter I will be posting one in this section by the end of the week.
well...incase u didnt click the link i put up to the article about the importation faqs. and seein ur link in ur sig sayin that u have those state side inventory. how can u actually claim that u have NHTSA and EPA approved on all those cars? when the law has clearly banned the importation of vehicles under the age of 25, with MAYBE (dont qoute me on this) a few exceptions. and i dont think that R32 and 34s r on that exception list.....and well... ur kit cars......all i got to say is gray market.

i mean sure u can buy 1 if 1 were to REALLY want 1. if u want to build a race car that is TRACK ONLY with it. but its still more trouble that 1 would imagine, so people please just read the article in my first post of this thread.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well...incase u didnt click the link i put up to the article about the importation faqs. and seein ur link in ur sig sayin that u have those state side inventory. how can u actually claim that u have NHTSA and EPA approved on all those cars? when the law has clearly banned the importation of vehicles under the age of 25, with MAYBE (dont qoute me on this) a few exceptions. and i dont think that R32 and 34s r on that exception list.....and well... ur kit cars......all i got to say is gray market.

i mean sure u can buy 1 if 1 were to REALLY want 1. if u want to build a race car that is TRACK ONLY with it. but its still more trouble that 1 would imagine, so people please just read the article in my first post of this thread.
While, the original article is good information, it is not the end all. For one, I owned a federalized R33. Sure maybe motorex didnt do as good a job as they said they did, but nevertheless, they exist and are fully legal. So we can agree there are a decent number of federalized GTRs mostly consisting on 33s and 32s. The gentleman above resells those in addition to Kaizo kit cars (a completely legal R34) and state legal cars . The last group has some issues being non federal and all, but work for some peopel as long as they understand what they are getting.

On the nico comments...none of that matters as you say. Good information can come from anyone. Not to be nit picky though, but older GTR owners did tend to hang out on Freshalloy since thats where Sean was, and Nico is the largest Nissan AND Inftinit site, but not the largest of either. Some of the cars specific ones are larger not that this matters at all though.

Last edited by CharlesJ; Mar 26, 2008 at 11:27 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:18 PM
Account Disabled

The article in the first post that you are guiding users to is miss-guided information by NICO administrators that aren't fully involved with the importation industry. The article was written on speculation and feedback from sources rather than direct involvement which is why I have outlined the forms of importation in the post that is linked in my signature.

This is commonly what happens when consumers read guides such as this they are blinded to the opportunities that are currently available because of the lack of knowledge in "professional" articles. There is no where that I state that all vehicles in that thread or on our website have NHTSA and EPA documentation. There are 4 Federally legal vehicles listed, all R33's, which do contain NHTSA and EPA documentation.
Federally Legal: Federally legal vehicles include a DOT bond release, NHTSA and EPA approval.
There are 2 EPA legal Kit Cars from Kaizo Industries which as Charles stated are Legal R34 GTR's. They come with full documentation including Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO), re-assigned 17 digit vin numbers, and new manufacture plating in the door jambs to reflect this.
Kit Car: A kit car is a 50 state EPA legal vehicle. A kit car is a remanufactured uni-body with a re-assigned 17 digit vin number. In this instance our kit cars are re-manufactured by Kaizo Industries. A Kit car contains a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO), a title referencing the new manufacture and model, and new plates in the door jambs stating that it is produced by the new manufacture as opposed to the original manufacture on the basis that it is no longer a Nissan.
Then the remainder of the vehicles are State Legal which I reflect in the thread followed by the following definition.
State Legal: A state legal vehicle is most commonly imported as parts then re-assembled when it reaches the United States. These vehicles abide by state laws but do not contain any federal documentation. The only paperwork on the vehicle is the title and proof of purchase.
Now if you have any questions prior to me posting the FAQ please let me know and I will do my best to address them.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

i wish i had a skyline.. lol who dont.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Broker Pros LLC
The article in the first post that you are guiding users to is miss-guided information by NICO administrators that aren't fully involved with the importation industry. The article was written on speculation and feedback from sources rather than direct involvement which is why I have outlined the forms of importation in the post that is linked in my signature.

This is commonly what happens when consumers read guides such as this they are blinded to the opportunities that are currently available because of the lack of knowledge in "professional" articles. There is no where that I state that all vehicles in that thread or on our website have NHTSA and EPA documentation. There are 4 Federally legal vehicles listed, all R33's, which do contain NHTSA and EPA documentation.
Federally Legal: Federally legal vehicles include a DOT bond release, NHTSA and EPA approval.
There are 2 EPA legal Kit Cars from Kaizo Industries which as Charles stated are Legal R34 GTR's. They come with full documentation including Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO), re-assigned 17 digit vin numbers, and new manufacture plating in the door jambs to reflect this.
Kit Car: A kit car is a 50 state EPA legal vehicle. A kit car is a remanufactured uni-body with a re-assigned 17 digit vin number. In this instance our kit cars are re-manufactured by Kaizo Industries. A Kit car contains a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO), a title referencing the new manufacture and model, and new plates in the door jambs stating that it is produced by the new manufacture as opposed to the original manufacture on the basis that it is no longer a Nissan.
Then the remainder of the vehicles are State Legal which I reflect in the thread followed by the following definition.
State Legal: A state legal vehicle is most commonly imported as parts then re-assembled when it reaches the United States. These vehicles abide by state laws but do not contain any federal documentation. The only paperwork on the vehicle is the title and proof of purchase.
Now if you have any questions prior to me posting the FAQ please let me know and I will do my best to address them.

Some interesting points, however why shouldn't you defend it's your job at stake. My point being that, anyone who has something to gain is not someone you can fully trust to give you 100% accurate information. Now, maybe you're cars are legal exactly as you say, maybe not. Either way, I'm not sure who you've talked to and where your information about the NICOclub article comes from, but take it from the source, the information contained in our article is accurate. (Sure now you could get me in the defending something because I have something to gain conundrum, but oh well) After a year of compiling data and research, I gaurantee more insight went into that article then half of the people selling Skyline's even know themselves.

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
On the nico comments...none of that matters as you say. Good information can come from anyone. Not to be nit picky though, but older GTR owners did tend to hang out on Freshalloy since thats where Sean was, and Nico is the largest Nissan AND Inftiniti site, but not the largest of either. Some of the cars specific ones are larger not that this matters at all though.
Exactly, you don't have to be in the industry to know, after talking to enough sources in the industry and doing enough research yourself, especially when it's a team of people compiling the information, you'll know more about it then any single importer/Skyline legalizer can. Not to be offensive.
You're it doesn't really matter but I just thought I would point out that NICOClub is the biggest Nissan and Infiniti (biggest for either) forum out there, check bigboards stats. And Fresh Alloy even with 100k people as smart as Sean on board you'd still have all the other guys that make the forum such a big waste.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:55 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by NissanDriver
Some interesting points, however why shouldn't you defend it's your job at stake. My point being that, anyone who has something to gain is not someone you can fully trust to give you 100% accurate information. Now, maybe you're cars are legal exactly as you say, maybe not. Either way, I'm not sure who you've talked to and where your information about the NICOclub article comes from, but take it from the source, the information contained in our article is accurate. (Sure now you could get me in the defending something because I have something to gain conundrum, but oh well) After a year of compiling data and research, I gaurantee more insight went into that article then half of the people selling Skyline's even know themselves.

Exactly, you don't have to be in the industry to know, after talking to enough sources in the industry and doing enough research yourself, especially when it's a team of people compiling the information, you'll know more about it then any single importer/Skyline legalizer can. Not to be offensive.
You're it doesn't really matter but I just thought I would point out that NICOClub is the biggest Nissan and Infiniti (biggest for either) forum out there, check bigboards stats. And Fresh Alloy even with 100k people as smart as Sean on board you'd still have all the other guys that make the forum such a big waste.
My message was not intended to generate a debate. It was simply my sole opinion on the matter. Broker Pros is not an importer, rather a broker to assist individuals in purchasing a jdm vehicle based on the fact that regardless of what any article may say there is still a market for the vehicles and they will be purchased. Broker Pros is looking to help those individuals to keep them from making the mistake of attempting to import the vehicle themselves and losing their investment, or purchasing from a "company" that is a shell and may not particularly exist but rather be an attempt to steal the consumers money. We simply provide information on legalities of the vehicles we have listed, financing information, regulations, and other resources in a common place for the consumer to utilize. We have nothing to gain by stipulating the legalities of the vehicles because regardless of anyone says as I stated the market as a whole is there and the consumer will purchase whether it be from Broker Pros or another company.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 11:02 AM

NICOClub may be the largest Nissan and Infiniti forum on the internet, but that does not mean much this day and age. This is why as Charles stated, Fresh Alloy has the majority of skyline owners on its userbase. You state that, "you'd still have all the other guys that make the forum such a big waste." What do you think a large board is composed of? The majority of the members in large boards is the "other guy waste" that you speak of. This is why large boards all though highly successful at obtaining users and achieving massive post/thread counts do not provide the information that they are capable of. This "waste" as you call it tends to fill the majority of the forum which is why Fresh Alloy is appealing to owners of these exotic vehicles. The knowledge spread through out Fresh Alloy is a fraction of what NICO is able to provide for a specific vehicle. Look at b20vtec.com that is a very active community mostly composed of Honda owners in the north east but the IQ of the members is just short of a squirrel. I don't think an administrator I am assuming you are needs to justify their presence on the internet if they do manage a board with the magnitude of NICO I think it leaves a bad impression when the justification of credibility is needed.

This is solely my personal opinion on the matter.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Again, doesnt matter and I dont even know why I cared to say it, but I was referring to big board stats with a few including my350z being larger. These are car specific sites though. Totally irrelevant to the discussion though so I probably should have said nothing. I guess I am just not a huge fan if NICO, but then again I prefer car specific sites anyways.

Anyways, back on topic, I personally feel the article is both correct and incorrect at the same time. While the information contained is not necessarily false, it is not all inclusive. The only GTR exception currently on the books I believe is actually the 95-95 R33, but there are federalized cars of all the three generations here that made it in before motorex was shut down. Going forward, it is basically impossible to go the same route that motorex went, so in that respect, it is correct. There are however loop holes. Kaizo made a legitmate company in japan that remanufactures R34 chassis as their own. They are no longer a nissan, but rather a Kaizo R34 kit car. This effectively makes them the same as a Noble M12, caterham seven, ultima gtr, etc. And every bit as legal to import. The catch is the engine since it never was approved for US use much like the twin turbo Noble M12 engine was not. In CA you can apply for an exemption, however they only give a few a year. In other states, they simple do not care. The car however is completely legal.

State legal cars are a bit different. Since the are not technically federally legal cars, there is still a minor issue, but the state will register them, and you can insure them. Some states will not do so like CA. The problems surrounding this were played up greatly in the days of Motorex as they did not want competition.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mr.Opportunist
NICOClub may be the largest Nissan and Infiniti forum on the internet, but that does not mean much this day and age. This is why as Charles stated, Fresh Alloy has the majority of skyline owners on its userbase. You state that, "you'd still have all the other guys that make the forum such a big waste." What do you think a large board is composed of? The majority of the members in large boards is the "other guy waste" that you speak of. This is why large boards all though highly successful at obtaining users and achieving massive post/thread counts do not provide the information that they are capable of. This "waste" as you call it tends to fill the majority of the forum which is why Fresh Alloy is appealing to owners of these exotic vehicles. The knowledge spread through out Fresh Alloy is a fraction of what NICO is able to provide for a specific vehicle. Look at b20vtec.com that is a very active community mostly composed of Honda owners in the north east but the IQ of the members is just short of a squirrel. I don't think an administrator I am assuming you are needs to justify their presence on the internet if they do manage a board with the magnitude of NICO I think it leaves a bad impression when the justification of credibility is needed.

This is solely my personal opinion on the matter.

Quality over quantity...yes. I say the that freshalloy has the majority of old skyline owners, and i say this knowing they are competition. We own GTRforums, and most old owners certainly are not there. However we do have a smaller core of quality soon to be r35 owners. The owners part is important when it comes to GTRs because there are plenty of active sites and sections that are primarily not current or soon to be owners

In the past, fresh alloy also had the most knowledgeable 240 owners, but I think that has changed

Again though, not the topic at hand as good information can come from anyone

Last edited by CharlesJ; Mar 27, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

ok, can someone explain how kaizo "remanufactures" the skylines to be their own brand of cars?? do they make their own chassis and put the skyline body, motor in them or what??
Old Mar 28, 2008, 07:48 PM
Account Disabled

ok, can someone explain how kaizo "remanufactures" the skylines to be their own brand of cars?? do they make their own chassis and put the skyline body, motor in them or what??
Please click the following link.

http://www.brokerprosllc.com/page/page/5746231.htm
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:34 AM
Evolving Member

Sooo after 5 pages of that **** I came to the conclusion that unless you are rich and get lucky... it is not EVEN worth the damn time. You should just move to Japan and buy one there
Old Mar 29, 2008, 07:10 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by R1ckyB0bbyyy
Sooo after 5 pages of that **** I came to the conclusion that unless you are rich and get lucky... it is not EVEN worth the damn time. You should just move to Japan and buy one there
You don't have to be rich and it has nothing to do with "getting lucky," you can get R32 GTR's in the $20k range.

Quick Reply: Skyline Importation FAQ - Definately worth the read!