Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Blown motor..replacing with a blown motor!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown motor..replacing with a blown motor!

Long story short I took over payments on my 98 Eclipse Spyder knowing the motor was going to blow...time being the only variable. So it finally did. So I searched for 2 months for either the Spyder 4G64 or the Galant 4G64. Finally find a Galant motor. Go through the swap procedure( first time ever doing a swap by myself). It took me two days to get it out and three days to get it in. Make sure everything is connected and where it should be only to find out that the replacement motor had bent valves. I should have known being that the timing belt was lose..but I didn't notice it until after it was already in.

The good news is I had that motor out in just under three hours...so i am getting more proficient..for at least half the swap. I have a 90 day warranty so I'm taking it back on Friday and this time making sure the replacement motor runs. I plan on taking the oil pan, valve cover, timing belt cover off, and if i suspect anything may be wrong ill take the head off too...all before i leave the salvage yard. Im refuse to get screwed again. So yeah...thats the story so far with my car
Old Mar 11, 2008, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

lol, good luck. good thing theres a warranty or you woulda been out alotta money!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 02:38 AM

Yeah really! If they try selling me another blown one and they give me problems..they will be talking to my lawyer..not me!