Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.
View Poll Results: G35 Coupe or RX8?
G35 Coupe
67.08%
RX8
32.92%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

G35 Coupe or RX8?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2003, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
G35 Coupe or RX8?

EVO owners only please.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am cross shopping these cars (though I have decided to get the evo but I likes the G35...luxury and Infiniti dealers service
Old Aug 4, 2003, 01:15 PM

i left a nice explaination of why i say rx8 in the thread that got deleted , and i'm too lazy/busy/tired to write it again. maybe i'll type it again later tonight when i have some free time.

cliffnotes of what i typed before:

"reliabilty of the rx engine should be much better since they took the turbo's out"
"maintenance key factor for both cars, rx8 being higher to maintain"
"rx8 imo looks much better"
Old Aug 4, 2003, 01:26 PM
slt
Evolved Member

word is that the rx8's HP is overated from the factory. Aparently some guys got theirs dynoed and they are not very happy
Old Aug 4, 2003, 01:42 PM

RX-8: real back seat (if that's important to you), will have much larger aftermarket support than G35 (mmm... RE Amemiya), rotor noise, shifter. It's the ultimate track/family car as far as handling and speed are concerned. The G35 is kind of a fat pig.

Last edited by Savedsol; Aug 4, 2003 at 01:45 PM.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 01:43 PM

Also... as holy and beautiful as the G35 is, I've ONLY seen girls driving it.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

G35 Coupe is the USDM version of the Nissan Skyline Coupe... so when the GTR version of the Skyline comes out, the RX-8 will not be able to compare. If you know where to look for mods, such as Nismo or HKS, you could find parts for the G35.
Old Aug 4, 2003, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

the G35 is basically the skyline in a luxury outfit. The rx-8 is nice too, but if it were me, id get the the G35
Old Aug 4, 2003, 09:37 PM
Evolving Member

Why don't you drive both and see which one feels better?
Old Aug 5, 2003, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

I've driven a G35 and almost got one before purchasing my EVO... Very nice car.. The RX-8 has the only thing that I can't stand... That stupid rotary engine... My best friend went through 3 engines in his RX-7... They are nice and fun, If you've got enough money to keep rebuilding the engine!! They run waaayy too hot to be heavily modified...
Old Aug 5, 2003, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Savedsol
RX-8: real back seat (if that's important to you), will have much larger aftermarket support than G35 (mmm... RE Amemiya), rotor noise, shifter. It's the ultimate track/family car as far as handling and speed are concerned. The G35 is kind of a fat pig.
riiiiight....well if you are a midget and the driver is a midget, then I can see the real back seat thing (you must not have seen one).....aftermarket support? The G35 is the same engine/platform as the Z (which will have a twin turbo from Greddy soon not to mention the NISMO goodies)

I have seen a video (best motoring) of the RX-8 vs other cars including the G35.it was a joke as the RX-8 got.....raped. btw Mazdaspeed has a package out (in Japan only I think so far...not sure) but it is effectively an appearance change and a lil suspension tweeking.....whoop-dee doo!

Last edited by Jamdown; Aug 5, 2003 at 06:15 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Jonasan50
I've driven a G35 and almost got one before purchasing my EVO... Very nice car.. The RX-8 has the only thing that I can't stand... That stupid rotary engine... My best friend went through 3 engines in his RX-7... They are nice and fun, If you've got enough money to keep rebuilding the engine!! They run waaayy too hot to be heavily modified...
Both engines are not the same. The new engine has no turbos and therefore, it won't overheat like the FD. It wouldn't have made sense for mazda to resell that self-destructing engine.

If you were expecting the replacement for the RX-7, this is not it.

Last edited by fishsauce; Aug 5, 2003 at 10:05 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

The RX-8 will get aftermarket support, but it's still a 4-door, and they typically get less attention. The G35 coupe is able to use most performance and mechanical upgrades that fit the 350Z, so there won't exactly be a lack of support. Like Jamdown mentioned, the Greddy twin-turbo kit (also likely HKS kit) will do wonders for that car.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by fishsauce

Both engines are not the same. The new engine has no turbos and therefore, it won't overheat like the FD. It wouldn't have made sense for mazda to resell that self-destructing engine.

If you were expecting the replacement for the RX-7, this is not it.
Yes, but as we ALL know.. The RX-8 will be modified in one way or another.. Therefore throwing all reliablity out the window!! What? You think someone's just gonna put a CAI on it and leave it at that? NO.. They are gonna want a turbo kit, and someone WILL build it! So there ya go, right back to square one... It's still a fragile rotary with their itty bitty apex seals... Nuff said...
Old Aug 6, 2003, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Not everyone mods their car. Not everyone wants to.

RX7: No compromise sports car.
RX8: Sports car compromised for the family.

(insert sarcasm here)
And fragile rotary? Those Japanese people must be stupid then, they've been buying the last generation RX7 with that "fragile" engine up until last August when they discontinued it.

Last edited by fishsauce; Aug 6, 2003 at 09:59 AM.