Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Which beater until GTR next year?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
srt4 man for sure
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

I've had two votes for the SRT4 but I don't know if I can get them down into my price range. A local dealer also has an SRT4 Mopar stage 2 that they advertise as 375HP (I'm sure that's at the engine). But they are asking $16,988 for that sucker.
Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

Huh,
I did an Autotrader search within 100 miles of my Zip and could not find a single WRX under $10,000. When I increased it to $13,000 it came up with three. I guess I could try to talk them down to my price range. It would be the same situation with the SRT4.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolving Member

I guess I'm going to head down to the dealership that has the SVT and the SRT4 and give them both a test drive. I'll let you know what I think when I get back.
Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Get some sort of honda IMO if not my vote goes for the Trans AM Ram Air followed by an SRT4
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Get a SUV or a Crew cab truck so you can tow your GT-R to the track on a trailer so you don't put miles on it or if something breaks at the track...been there done that! If your not going to race the car then I guess there are a lot of good used cars you could get to keep you going until you get your GT-R. Is winter a issue where you live? If so then I would probably lead towards an awd car for sure.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

I'd go VR-4 personally, or WRX would be a good option too

if not, get a Trans Am, a leather jacket, red strobe lights for the hood scoop, and then go pretend you're David Hasselhoff...LOL If you dont get a TA get the SRT-4 sure

Last edited by Evozster; Apr 4, 2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Made it back from a couple of dealerships.
he Focus SVT I drove was pretty rickety and not in good shape. I'm not sure if the all feel cheap like that or if it was just this one. The acceleration was ok but it just wasn't taken care of very well.
The SRT-4 they had was already sold. It's too bad, because it was the Mopar stage 2 with additional Mopar parts running 375whp on 110 octane. They sold it to some kid a week ago. They said that the kid already blew up the turbo trying to downshift going down the highway at 150mph. I don't know if that's a true story or if they were just selling a pos car. But it sounded like a nice one.
There is a for sale by owner Focus SVT here in town with a Jackson supercharger and a few other modest upgrades done by the owner. He is the original owner. He says that it is putting down 220whp. Not bad for a focus. I guess I will try to drive that one this weekend. He is asking $10,000 but is willing to come down a little.
I have plenty of time to look at other cars. One guy is flying in on Tuesday to pick up the Supra and I have a local person who will probably buy the Evo in three weeks when he gets back in town. Please keep the suggestions and comments coming. Does anybody know if all Focus SVT's are kind of rickety or if I just drove a bad one?

Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WhtEvo05
Get a SUV or a Crew cab truck so you can tow your GT-R to the track on a trailer so you don't put miles on it or if something breaks at the track...been there done that! If your not going to race the car then I guess there are a lot of good used cars you could get to keep you going until you get your GT-R. Is winter a issue where you live? If so then I would probably lead towards an awd car for sure.

Just my 2 cents.
I don't think I will track the GTR much at all. It will be a daily driver for everything except for going to work. I would not want to leave it at my work in the parking lot overnight (I work nights). But I would probably drive it everywhere else. Whatever beater I end up buying will get to go to work with me.

Thanks for all the good input from everyone.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4G63 T
e36 m3 4dr.
That is always a great choice

Carlos
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by legal-z
agree with the wrx wagon suggestion. i picked up the one i had for $8200.00, stock with 80k miles. once you get it, you can pick up an accessport for about $450.00 on the subi boards and flash in an extra 60hp. the other good think is you can run a fuel economy map on long trips. the last time i did, i got just under 30mpg. plus, your kids and whole bunch of other junk will fit easily.
Great idea. Just pray that the tranny last enough.

carlos
Old Apr 6, 2008, 06:24 PM

I would stay away from the Focus SVT if you want anything reasonably quick. I owned a 2002 SVT Focus 3 door and it was ridicously slow. I had a friend with a 92 Taurus SHO with over 150,000 miles at the same time and he would leave so many car lengths on me it was a joke.
Old Apr 6, 2008, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

rsx-s fun as hell to kick around town and good for the money...06 of course
Old Apr 6, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

^^ What is on your signature? a Ofna 1/8 with a .21?,Duratrax axxis 1/8?,Team losi 1/8? I have 7 of them and can't never get enough, it is a freaking addicting hobby..

Carlos
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

This thread fails for inappropriate use of the word beater. 10k beater. lol

Quick Reply: Which beater until GTR next year?