Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Which beater until GTR next year?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which beater until GTR next year?

Well, I have good news and bad news (mostly good). It looks like I have just about sold both my Supra and my Evo. "Why sell these?", you ask. My wife has agreed that if I sell them and buy a beater to drive until next summer, I can buy a new GTR at that time. By selling the current cars, we will be able to pay off all our bills except for the house.
I'm looking to spend $10,000 or less on a daily driver. I still want it to be a fun car though I know it will not be the same as the Supra or Evo. It must have a back seat big enough for a 5 and 7 year old and less than 100,000 miles. A few cars I am looking at are a 2003 Ford Focus SVT with 53,000 miles which I will offer around $8000 for. A 2000 Trans Am Ram Air with 85,000 miles which I would offer around $8000-9000 for. And a 2004 SRT4 with around 65,000 miles which I would be hard pressed to get into my $10000 dollar price range (they are asking $13988).
I know that these are three very different cars, but each offers fun in its own way. I don't want to start an argument about straight line performance vs. AWD or whatever. I know the performance points of each of these cars. For those of you who have owned/driven these vehicles, what are the bad things that I should know? What are the mechanical defects that are common to these vehicles? Besides the obvious used car checks, are there specific things to look at in these vehicles? How well do the various options (stereo, AC, power this or that) work?
Any help would be appreciated. Any suggestions for other fun cars in this price range (with the rear seat) would also be appreciated.
Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

just get ralliart a lot better than svt!
Old Apr 4, 2008, 05:58 AM
Account Disabled

srt-4
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

I would probably get a subaru wrx sedan or wagon. You can find them in your price range and they are still fun to drive.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

I must be poor. 10k is not a beater to me, 1k is!
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:09 AM
Evolving Member

Woot ^^^+1
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:16 AM
Evolving Member

rub it in a little...'oh, well i just have to get rid of my evo and supra to get a GT-R, that's all' hahaha. i'd go with kilratio and get the wrx wagon, or bmw 3-series.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

e36 m3 4dr.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:27 AM
Evolving Member

Wow,
Lots of quick responses but only one vote for one of the cars I have listed. I want to stay away from a used BMW that would be that old. I know that the used Pontiac would be a possible money trap also but the repairs should be cheaper than a BMW. I looked at used WRX's also. I guess I should take another look at some local ones for sale. Any comments on the cars I have listed from people who have owned them?
Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

out of those chocies, hands down go with the TA. I've put 100K plus on my TA with no issues at all for the past 75K (it came with an out of spec steering rack that blew my power steering pump a few times and covered under warranty). The only issues to be aware of with the 2000 is some of them have piston slap when cold. If this car does, you'll be able to hear it at initial startup. The only issue with that is it may burn more oil than usual (still less than my evo does though) Also, the passenger power window motor can suck. Otherwise it's a pretty bulletproof setup in stock condition. Adding drag radials will toast the rear end and clutch, but street driven daily you won't have any issues
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jmsrx
Wow,
Lots of quick responses but only one vote for one of the cars I have listed. I want to stay away from a used BMW that would be that old. I know that the used Pontiac would be a possible money trap also but the repairs should be cheaper than a BMW. I looked at used WRX's also. I guess I should take another look at some local ones for sale. Any comments on the cars I have listed from people who have owned them?
Thanks
ops, sorry haha. i guess i trailed off after...i am looking for a gtr and was jealous. i don't mean to be pushy at all, but i would really take a second look at bmw's. i have a 2000 3-series with only 40k that i bought in your price range. it's been very reliable, and parts are cheap because of its popularity. i have two large dogs (small children) that fit, with no quibs, in the back seat. in any case, good luck with the search, and post pics of that GT-R when you get it
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Trojan man
out of those chocies, hands down go with the TA. I've put 100K plus on my TA with no issues at all for the past 75K (it came with an out of spec steering rack that blew my power steering pump a few times and covered under warranty). The only issues to be aware of with the 2000 is some of them have piston slap when cold. If this car does, you'll be able to hear it at initial startup. The only issue with that is it may burn more oil than usual (still less than my evo does though) Also, the passenger power window motor can suck. Otherwise it's a pretty bulletproof setup in stock condition. Adding drag radials will toast the rear end and clutch, but street driven daily you won't have any issues
Thanks for the info. I know that the Trans Am would be the best straight line performer out of the three, I just might miss the cornering I have with the Evo. But it would be a small price to pay to have the big reward next year.
Thanks again.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spumoni1984
ops, sorry haha. i guess i trailed off after...i am looking for a gtr and was jealous. i don't mean to be pushy at all, but i would really take a second look at bmw's. i have a 2000 3-series with only 40k that i bought in your price range. it's been very reliable, and parts are cheap because of its popularity. i have two large dogs (small children) that fit, with no quibs, in the back seat. in any case, good luck with the search, and post pics of that GT-R when you get it
No problem. I guess I have fallen into stereotyping the BMW based upon some of the things I have heard about the cost of repairs. I know that they are a great quality car, I have just always been afraid of the price of fixing them when something does go wrong.
Thanks again.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

agree with the wrx wagon suggestion. i picked up the one i had for $8200.00, stock with 80k miles. once you get it, you can pick up an accessport for about $450.00 on the subi boards and flash in an extra 60hp. the other good think is you can run a fuel economy map on long trips. the last time i did, i got just under 30mpg. plus, your kids and whole bunch of other junk will fit easily.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by legal-z
agree with the wrx wagon suggestion. i picked up the one i had for $8200.00, stock with 80k miles. once you get it, you can pick up an accessport for about $450.00 on the subi boards and flash in an extra 60hp. the other good think is you can run a fuel economy map on long trips. the last time i did, i got just under 30mpg. plus, your kids and whole bunch of other junk will fit easily.
Thanks,
I used to have an STI and loved it almost as much as the EVO. It just fell a little short of the EVO in the corners. I know that the WRX is no STI, but it would probably be a good choice for now. I bought an Accessport for the STI and was very pleased with the returns for the money.

Quick Reply: Which beater until GTR next year?