Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Toyota/Subaru RWD sports car confirmed for 2011 with boxer engine

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2008, 11:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota/Subaru RWD sports car confirmed for 2011 with boxer engine

Subaru hasn't had a sports coupe since the SVX, and Toyota's only car that even comes close to being called a performance vehicle here in the U.S. is the Scion tC.

What some of you guys may have heard already as a rumor is now confirmed fact, as indicated in the Toyota press release as reported on Autoblog.

Originally Posted by Autoblog
At a press conference in Japan today, Toyota CEO Katsuaki Watanabe finally confirmed that his company is jointly developing a pair of rear-wheel-drive sports cars with Subaru. Each brand will get its own version of the car, which will be powered by one of Subaru's boxer engines, though the engine's displacement, power output and even number of cylinders is not yet known. We're also not sure if the Subaru version will feature the brand's trademark all-wheel-drive system either as an option or standard equipment, or whether Toyota might offer AWD as well in an homage to the Celica GT4 (we hope so!).

The styling will most likely resemble the sketch that was published by Autocar yesterday, though we don't expect one car to be a rebadged version of the other. Mark your calendars for 2011, which is when the new sports cars are scheduled to arrive. They'll be riding on a brand new platform and be built in Japan at a new plant by Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru. Toyota also confirmed rumors this morning that it will be buying up more of Fuji, raising its stake in the company from 8.7% to 16.5%.

These RWD sports cars will mean a lot for both companies, as Subaru hasn't offered a performance coupe since the slightly odd SVX, and Toyota all but abandoned performance models after the Supra, Celica and MR2 were cancelled.
Here are two rendered pics detailing what this new coupe may look like:

Finally some more details from England:

Originally Posted by Autocar.co.uk
Toyota and Subaru are joining forces to develop a sensational new sports coupé together, shown above in an Autocar image.

An inside source revealed top-secret sketches, showing that the car’s brief is to be compact, lightweight, rear drive and fast. Although the Subaru and Toyota versions of this coupé will look different from one another around the front and rear, both will be powered by Subaru’s 2.0-litre flat four engine, making this the first time that a Subaru boxer engine has powered a Toyota.

A naturally aspirated version of the petrol boxer engine with 175bhp is being considered for the base model, and there is potential for a hot 2.5-litre turbocharged model later.

This will be a car inspired by the classic rear-drive AE86 Toyota Corolla GT coupé from the 1980s, a car known for tail-happy handling. Yet beneath the skin we can expect a reworked Impreza, shortened, lightened and with a bespoke coupé body.

Subaru’s trademark four-wheel drive system will be ditched to save weight, complexity and cost. However, if the standard model is a success then later plans could include a spiritual successor to the Toyota Celica GT4, featuring the 2.5-litre turbo boxer engine and four-wheel drive.

Affordability is the priority for this so-called ‘Toyobaru’. Costs will be driven down thanks to technology sharing between the two car makers. Sources suggest that the coupé could cost as little as £10,000 (~$19,700) in Japan, but it’s likely to be closer to £20k in the UK, rising to £25k for the turbo model. Subaru will build the car at its Gunma plant in Japan, while Toyota is in charge of development.

The final design of the coupé is due to be signed off in July, with production set for 2010. Toyota, which holds an eight per cent stake in Subaru, is said to be keen to attract Japan’s disaffected youth with a Mazda MX-5 rival. In fact, an open-top derivative of this coupé could be another longer-term option.

After a launch in Japan, it’s believed the new coupé’s main market will be North America, but it should also make it to the UK. There’s a big market here for sports coupés and Toyota could benefit from an enthusiast’s car that revives the lustre of the Celica.

Last edited by sleeper3; Apr 10, 2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

looks not bad... RWD STI version would be interesting.
Old Apr 10, 2008, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

of course they leave the ****ty *** 08 look. they went the wrong way since 07...
Old Apr 13, 2008, 11:35 PM

interesting.....
Old Apr 14, 2008, 04:38 AM

Could be interesting. Personally, I think I'd wait until a turbocharged version is available. Also, I would have gone for a Toyota V6 over the flat 4 boxer. Again, that's a personal opinion.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

The only 6 cylinder from Toyota i'd put in it is the 2JZ. A RWD STI version would be killer. I personally think the Toyota should be the RWD coupe, and the Scooby should be AWD. Subaru dosen't sell RWD vehicles in the US.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 08LancerEVO
of course they leave the ****ty *** 08 look. they went the wrong way since 07...
+10, I much prefer the 07 grille to the fish-faced 08 look.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

^yep.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

I just hope it's lightweight. You can always add power and improve the suspension, but if you start off with a light chassis it will make all the difference.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/toyota-ft-hs-concept/
heres the concept pics.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 08:21 PM
Account Disabled

I would rather get a Toyota AWD turbo than a Evo. I'm pretty sure the quality, reliability, and durability will be better than a Mitsu.
Old Apr 15, 2008, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by AznX TL
That FT-HS concept has been around for a while now. It was rumored to be the concept for a new Supra design. Everthing I've seen said that it was going to sport either a V6 or V8. I'm not so sure this is the car we'll get out of the Suby/Toyota venture (but hey, who knows).

http://jalopnik.com/cars/super-supra...und-264388.php
Old Apr 15, 2008, 08:58 AM
vik
Evolving Member

I thing Toyota will look like a car
AE86 version 2010 will be interesting
Old Apr 22, 2008, 12:38 PM

I would rather get a Toyota AWD turbo than a Evo. I'm pretty sure the quality, reliability, and durability will be better than a Mitsu.
I hear you! I've heard that Toyota (among others) is making an electric RWD sports car - wonder if it's gonna be the new Supra? Toyota has got to get back in the game.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

very interesting indeed, I hope its light!

Quick Reply: Toyota/Subaru RWD sports car confirmed for 2011 with boxer engine