Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Evo 8 to "Terminator" Cobra: Who has done it? Goods/Bads,I want to know

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo 8 to "Terminator" Cobra: Who has done it? Goods/Bads,I want to know

Ok first off I know most of you will say to search. Well Im in Iraq right now and dont have a whole lot of time to "search".

Anyways I have a Evo 8. I had AMS GT35R,with supporting mods etc. Looking to sell that car/trade it in when I get back home. Looking into the 2003 Cobras. The super-charged year.

Just want to know real quick who has/knows someone with that car or made the switch. Good switch? I never road in one but my buddy has one,and my whole family has had mustangs and cobras so I know a little bit about them. I am for sure getting rid of my evo. Just want to know if its a good switch or should I just go with my F150/F250 truck. I wouldnt do nothing to crazy to the Cobra. No twin-turbo etc. Maybe just 550-600. Which for that car is not crazy and is very easy/cheap to acheive.

IF you have comments please PM since im in Iraq I cant search back to find my thread. Just let me know what you think about the Cobra vs. Evo.(i.e. power vs power,spool,gas,etc etc) You guys know what im talking about.

Thanks
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:07 PM
Account Disabled

All depends on what your looking for...we have had both here at the shop and currently still have the 04 cobra...they are a beast of a car when set up properly and turn some fast fast et's down the strip with minimal mods but like the evo they have their issues too...heat is killer with them and if you were to do back to back pulls on highway you can see a huge difference in the power...ours has all the basic mods and puts down around 575 with spray...on the street spray is useless because even with DR the car just blows the tires loose...its a blast to drive though especially for cruises...

Last edited by Ultimate CC; Apr 21, 2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 12:28 PM
Ike
Evolving Member

If you don't care about a sloppy shifter, lifeless steering, and a pretty disconnected feel to the car overall you'll love it. I've considered and test driven one during my last two car purchases and it ended up being one of my least favorite cars of those that I considered. In other words, if you just want big V8 grunt they're great, otherwise there are several cars I'd personally choose over a Termi and not in a million years would I rather have one than my Evo. Maybe check out a used Z06...
Old Apr 20, 2008, 01:59 PM

I got rid of my cobra for the evo. My cobra had 540RWHP. It was faster then the evo but overall im happy with my decision. Just a warning if you do get one throw a brace on the rear diff. I didnt and ended up swaping it to a built solid cuz i blew the diff out.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 06:42 PM

Do you like to turn ? Im actually being half-serious here.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the throaty roar of the american muscle V8 sound but I rather keep the Evo
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

if you do get rid of the evo and you want a v8 id so go with a C5 Zo6, C6, or a C6Zo6.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Ike
If you don't care about a sloppy shifter, lifeless steering, and a pretty disconnected feel to the car overall you'll love it. I've considered and test driven one during my last two car purchases and it ended up being one of my least favorite cars of those that I considered. In other words, if you just want big V8 grunt they're great, otherwise there are several cars I'd personally choose over a Termi and not in a million years would I rather have one than my Evo. Maybe check out a used Z06...
Don't drive like an idiot and you don't have to worry about that. I notice a huge difference. Evo owns when it comes to handling etc but if your not planning on driving like a fool then you have nothing to worry about.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:12 PM

I had an Orange 04 Cobra, 540whp, it was a total blast. Get a Kenne Bell or a Whipple and call it a day (or the new Steig Stage 5 ported eaton!). I added springs and swaybars to the stock bilsteins and it handled EXTREMELY well. I had a ton of fun in it, and if you haven't had one, it's worth the experience! My car made over 500lb/ft of torque from 1700-7000rpm... what a blast!

Always fun to turn heads when people see this in their rearview:
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by PSIcho
I had an Orange 04 Cobra, 540whp, it was a total blast. Get a Kenne Bell or a Whipple and call it a day (or the new Steig Stage 5 ported eaton!). I added springs and swaybars to the stock bilsteins and it handled EXTREMELY well. I had a ton of fun in it, and if you haven't had one, it's worth the experience! My car made over 500lb/ft of torque from 1700-7000rpm... what a blast!

Always fun to turn heads when people see this in their rearview:
Completely different aint it? The first time I drove my EVO it was like a go-kart.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

keep the evo bro imo its better
but then again you own one.. and i dont so you know way more than me
Old Apr 21, 2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Evo9NY
Completely different aint it? The first time I drove my EVO it was like a go-kart.
Ya, it is quite the different machine... yet, the EVO amazes me that I could go nearly as fast in a straight line with a minimal amount of mods, and do well in EVERY other aspect, handling, gas, room, build quality, safety etc. The EVO is a hell of a machine.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PSIcho
Ya, it is quite the different machine... yet, the EVO amazes me that I could go nearly as fast in a straight line with a minimal amount of mods, and do well in EVERY other aspect, handling, gas, room, build quality, safety etc. The EVO is a hell of a machine.
do you regret getting rid of the cobra?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 06:39 PM
Account Disabled

I think you'd regret it. Why don't you be different and buy a 69 Camaro RS and build that with a monster turbo?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

or a grand national!

Quick Reply: Evo 8 to "Terminator" Cobra: Who has done it? Goods/Bads,I want to know