Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

If you couldn't have an Evo.. what would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2008 | 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

If you couldn't have an Evo.. what would you buy?

I've been helping my mother and girlfriend shop for cars and we've been looking at a few Honda Civics... Altima's, good mileage cars and of course being an Evo owner look at the performance models of each brand of car and look up stats and so forth and although I already knew this... there really isn't a car for the price of an Evo that car come close to the performance, let alone out perform one. So I got to thinking, if I had to buy something else... what would I do that would satisfy the experience I am now used to...

What do you all think? 350Z? S2000? STI? Something else?
Old Jun 15, 2008 | 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

98 Gsx =)
Old Jun 15, 2008 | 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

Ill tell you what my GTI only cost me 22.8k brand new and it was a beast. Yeah I put 4k into it but still.
Old Jun 15, 2008 | 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

a DSM...
Old Jun 15, 2008 | 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

240sx and mod it to hell
Old Jun 15, 2008 | 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

97 supra, or REAL s14...... i would never by an sti.

Last edited by EvoDan2004; Jun 15, 2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2008 | 09:06 AM

Twin turbo Supra
3000gt VR4
Old Jun 15, 2008 | 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Renesis83
Twin turbo Supra
3000gt VR4
3000gts are a waste of money and too heavy...there are a lot better cars to mod instead of a 3000gt....and as for supras it is very hard to find some for cheap and if u do beware of the the condition all have high mileage and **** non turbo
Old Jun 15, 2008 | 09:11 AM
BGR
Evolving Member

Depends, is it you buying or your g/f and mom? You have to think what is practical - if is them, then you can't go wrong with a Civic/Altima/Camry/Corrola. If it is you, then its a different ball game I would go with WRX STi...I just love the all-wheel drive drivabilty and I came from rear wheel drive cars (I had S13 and S14 with SR20DET swaps, IS300 with 2JZ-GTE swap, etc.). Of course if you can afford it, then hands down the new Skyline GT-R is the way to go!!!
Old Jun 15, 2008 | 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Id probably get a 300ZX TT. I love those cars.
Old Jun 15, 2008 | 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BGR
Depends, is it you buying or your g/f and mom? You have to think what is practical - if is them, then you can't go wrong with a Civic/Altima/Camry/Corrola. If it is you, then its a different ball game I would go with WRX STi...I just love the all-wheel drive drivabilty and I came from rear wheel drive cars (I had S13 and S14 with SR20DET swaps, IS300 with 2JZ-GTE swap, etc.). Of course if you can afford it, then hands down the new Skyline GT-R is the way to go!!!
Actually I will be getting a Skyline or the new supra... whenever it comes out... probably still the skyline though... not until at least next year when the prices stabilize. There isn't a Skyline dealer within 400 miles of Maryland anyway... but

I called my local dealer the other day to ask about Civic prices. My mother, sister and fiancee' are all looking to buy one, so we're going to be taking 3 off the lot at once. I told him I wanted prices on 2 LX's and 1 EX that's loaded, save the Nav and leather. He came back with 22,6 on the EX ( price from honda's build your own was 23,8 ) with labor included which I guess isn't to bad since there's the ground effects and spoiler and such to install. He only gave me 17,000 on the LX's though.. MSRP is 17,5 ( and I know they don't pay what the invoice says although they swear they do )... so that didn't impress me. With getting 3 at once I would think they would be much more willing to come down. I know they are in high demand right now, and that's every dealers excuse ( although there's always some excuse no matter what ) as to why they can't come down. We're not in a hurry, but would like to get them while the APR is low ( it's 2.9% for 60 months ) and can wait until the 09's come out if we have to.

What do you all think would be a good price on these?
Old Jun 15, 2008 | 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

2000 Honda S2000
2000 Impreza 2.5RS coupe
Mini Cooper S
1G AWD DSM
E36 M3

The list goes on. I can't really think of cars right now.

I'm only listing cars that are cheaper or in the same price range.
Old Jun 15, 2008 | 09:33 AM

Toyota Supra MkIV Twin Turbo. I would take my Evo over that due to the practicality of having (usable) backseats and for AWD/ Handling, but its hard to touch the Supra for just raw power mixed with pure sexiness.

Well, maybe a 350z for the sexiness, but try gettting 600hp out of a Z for just a few grand in mods.
Old Jun 15, 2008 | 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

o3.o4 cobra

c5 zo6/FRC vette
Old Jun 15, 2008 | 09:37 AM
BGR
Evolving Member

Research on the web and find out what the dealer pays for the Civic and based on that I usually let them make profit of about $500 on top of their price. The MSRP is not what the dealer paid (obviously). If you are buying 3 new vehicles at the same time, they better give you a break otherwise walk away. If available, go to another local dealer and try there. Usually, the bigger the dealer, the more volume they sell and will be willing to drop down the price. Suprisingly, the dealers do not make their money in car sales, but in maintenance (labor) and parts. I'm not sure where you live, but if you don't get the prices you want you can even consider an out of state dealer that will be willing to ship the cars to you. In my area I know that Rick Case gives pretty much the best deals on new cars. Good luck and search the net before purchasing.

Originally Posted by Methodical4u
Actually I will be getting a Skyline or the new supra... whenever it comes out... probably still the skyline though... not until at least next year when the prices stabilize. There isn't a Skyline dealer within 400 miles of Maryland anyway... but

I called my local dealer the other day to ask about Civic prices. My mother, sister and fiancee' are all looking to buy one, so we're going to be taking 3 off the lot at once. I told him I wanted prices on 2 LX's and 1 EX that's loaded, save the Nav and leather. He came back with 22,6 on the EX ( price from honda's build your own was 23,8 ) with labor included which I guess isn't to bad since there's the ground effects and spoiler and such to install. He only gave me 17,000 on the LX's though.. MSRP is 17,5 ( and I know they don't pay what the invoice says although they swear they do )... so that didn't impress me. With getting 3 at once I would think they would be much more willing to come down. I know they are in high demand right now, and that's every dealers excuse ( although there's always some excuse no matter what ) as to why they can't come down. We're not in a hurry, but would like to get them while the APR is low ( it's 2.9% for 60 months ) and can wait until the 09's come out if we have to.

What do you all think would be a good price on these?

Quick Reply: If you couldn't have an Evo.. what would you buy?