Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

GTR's still available but still $ over MSRP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zbomb
What I was trying to say is that a company that is accustomed to selling beautiful, High end exotics, Ferrari, knows how to manage their dealers to not go out and gouge customers and each other for a measly ( to them ) 75K. They say: hey a Ferrari is'nt an easy thing to own, here's the right way to do it, Get on our list and when your turn comes you get your car. You know what, People wait years for their time to come. But they are rewarded with a wonderful car at the price the factory believed it should sell for. And the next time a new Ferrari comes up they get a better more preferred spot on Ferrari's list and so on and so fourth. By the time you have bought 3 or 4 brand new Ferrari's from a real dealer you have a shot of getting an Enzo or whatever the next supercar will be, And you get it for sticker! Take a back door 'cause you don't want to wait and you'll pay the rediculous premium.

I wish Nissan could realize that a manufacturer who put's reigns on their dealer network is a more respected manufacturer from the consumer's eyes. I wonder how much GTR's are marked up in Japan, If at all?

Shame your putting your soon to be GTR for sale, Good business oppurtunity I suppose.

Your right and that is the way it should be with all dealers but reality is they are not. I have two friends that waited through their Ferrari dealers and got there cars for MSRP. Then there are those " have to have it first crowd" and they will pay whatever the price.

I do have very mixed feelings on selling this car but I have a project I've been wanting to do with a shop and a car that will soon make me forget the GT-R.

Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WhtEvo05
Mine is up for sale in the Private Evo 1-9 for sale section. Delivery date July 11th.

MSRP is not going to happen on any 09 GT-R's. I know people that are on next years list at 10k over and happy to be on it.

It is just simple supply and demand.

If you think the markup on the GT-R is bad try and get a ZR-1. They already have confirmed buyers on the left coast that are willing to pay $200,000 over for it.

Porsche 997rs = 50k over
Ferrari 599 -$75 - 100 over

It is a crazy world out there but to people that make 2-10 million + a year those markups mean nothing to them. Chump change. So it is all relative.

I see that you are starting bidding at 85k. I am sure that someone will pay that or more. I will not pay over MSRP and I think that many people will be surprised by how quickly they may come down to MSRP. All the US versions are spoken for by the dealerships but not sold yet. There seem to be many still available if you call around. I think that people are balking at the markups and may force the dealerships to come down on their prices. I could be wrong, but I hope I am not. I called another Nissan dealership in my area and both cars that they had alloted are still available. They were asking 15k over.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Avoid Superior Nissan in NWA ---- CROOKS!

Go to Bentonville.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by zbomb
What I was trying to say is that a company that is accustomed to selling beautiful, High end exotics, Ferrari, knows how to manage their dealers to not go out and gouge customers and each other for a measly ( to them ) 75K. They say: hey a Ferrari is'nt an easy thing to own, here's the right way to do it, Get on our list and when your turn comes you get your car. You know what, People wait years for their time to come. But they are rewarded with a wonderful car at the price the factory believed it should sell for. And the next time a new Ferrari comes up they get a better more preferred spot on Ferrari's list and so on and so fourth. By the time you have bought 3 or 4 brand new Ferrari's from a real dealer you have a shot of getting an Enzo or whatever the next supercar will be, And you get it for sticker! Take a back door 'cause you don't want to wait and you'll pay the rediculous premium.

I wish Nissan could realize that a manufacturer who put's reigns on their dealer network is a more respected manufacturer from the consumer's eyes. I wonder how much GTR's are marked up in Japan, If at all?

Shame your putting your soon to be GTR for sale, Good business oppurtunity I suppose.
First, manufacturers cannot tell dealers what prices to charge. This is not legal. Second, nearly every manufacturer has dealers and cars or trucks that have sold over sticker. It happened with the early x50 Porsches, Black Series Benzes, early Z3s, WRXs, EVOs, STis, 350 Zs, Z06s, nearly every limited run Mustang...to just name a few. It will continue to happen with the new Camaro, Z01, Charger, Mustang KR... It's simply supply and demand.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Supply and demand is the way it works, but I think the initial excitement over this vehicle has not yet translated into orders. The more I call around, the more I find that there are plenty of GTR's available for preorder. Like I said initially, the excitement may peak again when the cars hit the streets. That may be all the dealerships need to sell their allotments, but at this point I do not believe that they have even sold half the allotted cars in the US.
It is too bad that I can not make the move on the car at this point. It will have to wait until next year for me. I think that I could use the availability of GTR's at this point to bargain down to a price closer to MSRP. The salespeople like to tell you that you need to hurry because they are just about sold out, but each dealership I have called has over half if not all of their allotment available. Of course I have only called dealerships in my state and surrounding ones.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
First, manufacturers cannot tell dealers what prices to charge. This is not legal. Second, nearly every manufacturer has dealers and cars or trucks that have sold over sticker. It happened with the early x50 Porsches, Black Series Benzes, early Z3s, WRXs, EVOs, STis, 350 Zs, Z06s, nearly every limited run Mustang...to just name a few. It will continue to happen with the new Camaro, Z01, Charger, Mustang KR... It's simply supply and demand.
To Tell you the truth you seem to know more about the legalitie than I. However to the best of my knowledge dealers and MFG's sign contracts, If a MFG put's a pricing structure for their car's in that contact and it is signed by the deler than they must honor it.

Legalities aside, MFG's decide which dealer's get what for car's. If a dealer goes against the wishes of the MFG they should feel whatever ramification the dealer sees fit, Including not giving them the stock they want.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmsrx
I see that you are starting bidding at 85k. I am sure that someone will pay that or more. I will not pay over MSRP and I think that many people will be surprised by how quickly they may come down to MSRP. All the US versions are spoken for by the dealerships but not sold yet. There seem to be many still available if you call around. I think that people are balking at the markups and may force the dealerships to come down on their prices. I could be wrong, but I hope I am not. I called another Nissan dealership in my area and both cars that they had alloted are still available. They were asking 15k over.
Yes I'm starting the bidding at 85K+ but you must remember there is the 8% sales tax in NYS that has to be covered in the sale of the car. List on the car was 74k and some change so tack on around 6k in taxes and your already up to 81k. My dealer is selling the 2 other 09 cars that are coming in for 10k over. I got in very early in 07 with a signed MSRP deal that was notorized and signed by the dealer and myself. I also had my lawyer put in all the verbage that would make sure the deal was sealed and the dealer could not back out as some of them already have done to other people.

Old Jun 17, 2008, 09:29 PM

lol japanese MSRP for the GT-R is around 40-50k.....
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by battosaii
That doesn't sound right. I'll have to check.

An the first GT-R's came into Hong Kong for $120,000.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:41 PM
Evolved Member

Well I worked for a dealership recently, where we sold nissan as well. This specific dealership had 15+ franchises.. Needless to say it was big. When I first got on I asked if they were getting any GTR's, and they said no.. I inquired why and this is what the president of the company personally told me. He said they were alloted two if they wanted them. Which even at the time he knew he could do quite a few $$ over msrp. However he ended up not wanting them because Nissan makes the dealership buy the equipment to service them..

No big deal right?.. Well considering it was just over $65k for the equipment... So it put my thoughts in a better perspective. I thought it was ridiculous that dealerships were charging so much, but now I know why.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Very true. The dealerships do have to shell out alot of money up front to be able to sell these cars. Some dealerships are trying to get that money back ASAP by marking up the vehicles. But I do not see how it's much different than a dealer starting from scratch. They would have to get a loan to pay for everything to start their business. Now will a brand new dealership win over very many customers by imediately adjusting the price on their vehicles higher than MSRP? The business would fail. They are doing it in this case because they can. And they will not see too many negative consequences because of it. Most of the people that buy cars from these dealerships don't know that the GTR exists and couldn't care less if you and I paid 100k over MSRP for one. Its not going to hurt their business at all.
The other side of looking at things is that it will not help their business very much at all to give you and I a great deal on a GTR. The future impact would be fairly negligible. Yeah, we may refer a few good customers their way but the impact would be pretty small. So it comes down to doing the right thing. Is selling the GTR at MSRP the right thing to do. Lets face it, they would not be in the car business if they didn't have that salesperson mentality. Profit comes first with the majority of them. I'm just hoping the market forces them to become a little more humble.
The thing that irks me the most is that a Nissan dealership that previously would have to kiss my *ss to get me to buy from them rather than the next dealership is now acting like they are God's gift to the car business and can pretty much laugh at anyone suggesting that they sell their GTR's for MSRP (I guess that's a personal problem on my part ). As a previous poster said, it's the Porsche dealerships and the like that historicaly have the high dollar cars that the select few want. But these dealerships already know that there is good profit built into their cars and do not go crazy with market adjustments.
Whatever the ultimate outcome, I just hope to have the option to purchase one of these at a reasonable price next year. But I will keep my options open. The Corvette Z06 and Porsche GT3 are OK performance wise. I might be able to settle for one of these in my garage .
Old Jun 18, 2008, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by battosaii
You're mistaken. The new twin turbo AWD model starts at just under 8 million yen in Japan, about $72,000.

As to what manufacturers can do about pricing. Here's an excerpt from a brief written by a lawyer at Garvey Schubert Barer.
The second basic rule is that an agreement between a manufacturer and a retailer about retail prices will almost always violate the antitrust laws
Link for full article.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolving Member

Can anyone explain to me what kind of job you have to have to be making 2 to 10 million + a year? someone said some ppl make that money on here before....

Im still young so i was wondering what career i should start taking LOL

Last edited by PedroMartinez; Jun 18, 2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by robertrinaustin

As to what manufacturers can do about pricing. Here's an excerpt from a brief written by a lawyer at Garvey Schubert Barer.

Link for full article.
From that read it seems as if dealer's act unilaterally in their pricing structures that would not fall into a violation of anti trust laws ?
Old Jun 18, 2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by WhtEvo05
Your right and that is the way it should be with all dealers but reality is they are not. I have two friends that waited through their Ferrari dealers and got there cars for MSRP. Then there are those " have to have it first crowd" and they will pay whatever the price.

I do have very mixed feelings on selling this car but I have a project I've been wanting to do with a shop and a car that will soon make me forget the GT-R.

o yeah...what project is that? I'm just a little curious. I love when people go extreme on project cars