Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

GTR's still available but still $ over MSRP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2008, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There ain't no dang way I'll pay over a hundred grand for a GT-R. I know well what it is capable of but just as the Evo prices are over marked those car dealers are on some crack to think some body is that desperate to pay out their life saving for a car. Now if I won the lottery then that would be a different story......I'd probably get a Spyker C8 anyways
Old Jun 18, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

MSRP = Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price

Notice the key word I am emphasizing here. Its only an MSRP, the dealer can do what they want with it. Fact is, the manufacturer already made the sale of the vehicle. To the retailer, aka "the dealership." It is the dealerships job from there to move the product/vehicle. And the stategy to add an inflation to the 'MSRP' is all their own. Does not reflect the vehicle manufacturer. $$ over MSRP creates emotion and publicity. On a limited produced vehicle its like having free advertisement. And it works. All you guys are still talking about it, and searching the car out via internet/phone calls...etc etc.

Last edited by IMR-TIM; Jun 18, 2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 04:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IMR-TIM
MSRP = Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price

Notice the key word I am emphasizing here. Its only an MSRP, the dealer can do what they want with it. Fact is, the manufacturer already made the sale of the vehicle. To the retailer, aka "the dealership." It is the dealerships job from there to move the product/vehicle. And the stategy to add an inflation to the 'MSRP' is all their own. Does not reflect the vehicle manufacturer. $$ over MSRP creates emotion and publicity. On a limited produced vehicle its like having free advertisement. And it works. All you guys are still talking about it, and searching the car out via internet/phone calls...etc etc.
The "any publicity is good publicity" theory? I guess you are right in at least one aspect. I have been searching and posting where and how much for various GTR's around me. The questions is whether or not the guys on this forum are going to shell out that much over MSRP for one. Maybe.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jmsrx
Just stopped by my local Nissan dealership. They only have one GTR out of their allotment sold. They are expecting at least two more. But they are still asking for 25k over MSRP. I wonder if they will back down anytime soon? The recession may have slowed down enthusiasm slightly. I'm not sure how many people with the amount of disposable income available to buy a GTR would have been affected by the recession. I have heard, on the GTR forums, that many other Nissan dealerships have not sold their allotment but are sticking to their guns on their way above MSRP pricing. I really hope that the remainder don't sell and the dealerships are forced to come down on the price, but enthusiasm may increase again once the GTR's hit the streets.
Yeap.. you are going through what I went through 4-5 months ago. Had some cash, good credit, good means of making some payments and a lot of enthusiam to get one. I quickly realized that the chances were minimal and the dealers were taking advantage of specially after the performance reports were initially launched.

The price will eventually drop since the economy is on its knees and the gas prices are high. People are buying smaller cars and the GTRs on the shoowrooms might get a lot of dust seating there.

I would suggest to wait, it is unacceptable to buy a new GTR from a dealer at $10000 to $40000 over the MSRP. Some compassion with other sports cars are finally bringing the GTR to lessser Ego status meaning people will take into considerations other cars as well.

Just wait, don't rush it, right now the hype of this car is reflecting on its price, time will bring it down. Look at it this way, The Evo X are now running 10 sec and trapping 120mph with some mods, you know you can make a Evo X perfrom similar to a GTR with some money, that is one option.

My .2c

Carlos
Old Jun 19, 2008, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

It's going to be interesting for the owners of the GTR's when they go in for warranty service sitting there along with someone that paid 10k for a nissan or whatever else they sell. And, still not getting a loaner to drive around while their GTR is in the shop.

Hope they got something for this too. I'm looking at the 2010 list if I get the job I'm applying for. I will not pay MSRP. Just wait, you'll see.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^+1 .... Im not paying anything over msrp, and don't feel like buying first year car.

Looking to get 1 late 09 early 10. With new Camaro, and new '10 stangs and whatever else will be available next few years, I highly doubt Nissan dealers will still charge mark ups on GTRs, after the initial release .

My Evo will keep me very busy until Godzilla arrives hhehe

Last edited by letMeIn; Jun 19, 2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Calgary, in Canuckistan. Dealers are selling the Z06 for under MSRP, I don't see why the base GTR should be any different.
Z06 have been out for a few years now, originally they were marked up as well. The new ZR1 have made the Z06 the lesser model. If you don't like the mark up, don't pay it. Its all about supply and demand. I am sure eventually they will end up at MSRP, you just might have to wait a while.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dgoodhue
Z06 have been out for a few years now, originally they were marked up as well. The new ZR1 have made the Z06 the lesser model. If you don't like the mark up, don't pay it. Its all about supply and demand. I am sure eventually they will end up at MSRP, you just might have to wait a while.
Good point that is why I didn't get a 06 Z06. At the time they were fetching 10 -25 over MSRP and then in early 07 when I got mine they were right about at MSRP or 1-3k over but by end of summer of 07 they dropped down to 3-5 under and have continued to the point where you can pick up a new 08 which they have a lot left over, for 8-10k under MSRP! That is cheaper than I paid for my 07 but and I say with a BIG BUT! I have had almost 2 years of fun with the car so if had waited until the prices had dropped to where they are today yeh I would have saved $$ but when do you stop waiting?

Old Jun 20, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^^That is right Frank... sometimes you wonder if it is worth the wait or not, when you are in the midlife crisis then you just think the world is going to end and you buy things no matter how much they cost(been there done that in just about everything).

Your strategy was dead on, just wait and you will see the GTR prices droping, wait a couple of years and the ZR1 will be more affordable one of the reasons is because the moemnt they launch the C7 vette the C6 Z06 and ZR1 will have to drop.

Carlos
Old Jun 20, 2008, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
^^^That is right Frank... sometimes you wonder if it is worth the wait or not, when you are in the midlife crisis then you just think the world is going to end and you buy things no matter how much they cost(been there done that in just about everything).

Your strategy was dead on, just wait and you will see the GTR prices droping, wait a couple of years and the ZR1 will be more affordable one of the reasons is because the moemnt they launch the C7 vette the C6 Z06 and ZR1 will have to drop.

Carlos

Hey Carlos! How's the Z running?

Yes sometimes you have to seize the moment act fast and sometimes you just have to be patient, sit back and wait. Either way hopefully you'll obtain your goal of whatever your in pursuit of.

Complete opposites in the case of obtaining the Z06 and GT-R

With the Z06 I was patient until the price dropped to where I felt good about it.

With the GT-R I acted on pure gut instinct and speculation.

Old Jun 26, 2008, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

I am paying $191,313 for my GTR, that includes Philippine importation taxes and shipment. Now I dunno if the added $40,000 is included here. Who here has already paid the full amount for their GTRs?
Old Jun 28, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by rawandbruteEVO
I am paying $191,313 for my GTR, that includes Philippine importation taxes and shipment. Now I dunno if the added $40,000 is included here. Who here has already paid the full amount for their GTRs?

If that's what you paid then I hope that's for 2. Seriously, that better be for 2.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 08:38 AM
Evolving Member

I've got 5k down, expecting august delivery.

One thing to keep in mind with the sinking US dollar,is that next years model probably will have a 5% increase in price, which justifies spending a bit more to play today...
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

If next years model does go up in price, it should reflect on the Kelly Blue Book value. The market adjustments are never figured into used car values. For those that care about value, a car that MSRP's for 80K is worth more than the same car if it MSRP's for 71K and has a market adjustment of 9K. Some people may not care though.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CEB Unit
If that's what you paid then I hope that's for 2. Seriously, that better be for 2.
No, its for 1. Taxes and duties are really high in the Philippines