Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

GTR's still available but still $ over MSRP

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here in Irvine, CA, on a whim I checked Irvine Nissan to see what availability and markup they would have. $30k over MSRP, 4 coming in middle of July. I told the sales manager no thanks, I would wait. He actually got mad at me. I asked him why? Its my money, and Ill spend it how I like. He told me I was an idiot for not *realizing* how much the GTR was really worth, and that $100k was a *bargain* for the car. Great sales tactic, lets insult our potential customers. Needless to say, the bad experience I have now had with a dealer affects my perception of Nissan as a whole. If Nissan really wanted to control pricing, they could, just like Ferrari does. Its simple, Nissan gets to choose who they ship cars to. Just dont ship cars to dealers that mark them up. Done.

Currently I have an 07 Z06 that I bought in late 06 for $74,000(MSRP fully loaded), its beautiful, and very fast (on the street and the track), and woman love it After visiting the Nissan dealer, I asked myself, why spend over $100k, for a car thats only marginally faster than my Z06, and that should cost less! Heck, like others have mentioned, the Z06 is a phenomenal deal for 5 to 10k below MSRP.

I encourage everyone to send a message to your Nissan dealers (and Nissan) by not buying this car until the price is MSRP or less. Go buy a Z06, or couple year old Porsche. They give you great performance for the $$$, and you will love them.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:42 PM

So if I call you an idiot on here will that change your whole perception of EvoM to a negative one?
Old Jul 6, 2008, 08:16 PM

Nope, because you arent a representative of EvoM. If a moderator called me an idiot, yes it would. I consider a dealer a representative of the manufacturer they sell for, and as such, should be held to a standard. When you go into the store to buy a TV, you certainly dont expect the salesman to call you an idiot. And if they did, the store would likely get rid of them quite quickly. However, you would probably care less if some other random customer in the store called you an idiot.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WhtEvo05
Mine is up for sale in the Private Evo 1-9 for sale section. Delivery date July 11th.

MSRP is not going to happen on any 09 GT-R's. I know people that are on next years list at 10k over and happy to be on it.

It is just simple supply and demand.

If you think the markup on the GT-R is bad try and get a ZR-1. They already have confirmed buyers on the left coast that are willing to pay $200,000 over for it.

Porsche 997rs = 50k over
Ferrari 599 -$75 - 100 over

It is a crazy world out there but to people that make 2-10 million + a year those markups mean nothing to them. Chump change. So it is all relative.

Their are more cars than people, making 2 to 10 mill a year. They will come down next year, and I will be waiting.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 06:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JTurbo
Here in Irvine, CA, on a whim I checked Irvine Nissan to see what availability and markup they would have. $30k over MSRP, 4 coming in middle of July. I told the sales manager no thanks, I would wait. He actually got mad at me. I asked him why? Its my money, and Ill spend it how I like. He told me I was an idiot for not *realizing* how much the GTR was really worth, and that $100k was a *bargain* for the car. Great sales tactic, lets insult our potential customers. Needless to say, the bad experience I have now had with a dealer affects my perception of Nissan as a whole. If Nissan really wanted to control pricing, they could, just like Ferrari does. Its simple, Nissan gets to choose who they ship cars to. Just dont ship cars to dealers that mark them up. Done.

Currently I have an 07 Z06 that I bought in late 06 for $74,000(MSRP fully loaded), its beautiful, and very fast (on the street and the track), and woman love it After visiting the Nissan dealer, I asked myself, why spend over $100k, for a car thats only marginally faster than my Z06, and that should cost less! Heck, like others have mentioned, the Z06 is a phenomenal deal for 5 to 10k below MSRP.

I encourage everyone to send a message to your Nissan dealers (and Nissan) by not buying this car until the price is MSRP or less. Go buy a Z06, or couple year old Porsche. They give you great performance for the $$$, and you will love them.
+1
Old Jul 7, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Can you lease the gtr? I dont plan on keeping a car for a long time.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TwiNpnOy84
Can you lease the gtr? I can't afford the car.
fixed. and no you can't lease a 100k car.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

First one got delivered today. Lucky sob
Old Jul 8, 2008, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AznX TL
Oh....I can afford the car....buddy. No need to put words in my mouth.

Like i said, i dont plan on keeping a car for too long. Im young and will always want the latest model. Im not collecting cars.

who wouldn't want to drive the latest model?

The end. Now move on.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

haha its ok to admit you cant afford it, most of us can't afford it either.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 11:11 PM
Evolving Member

****ing Fail.

And the GTR will have leasing options. 24 to 60 months will be available.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

haha its ok to admit you cant afford it, most of us can't afford it either.
its ok to admit you're jealous.

ill buy a gtr when the vspec comes out. That will be a collectors item

In the mean time, i will do the lease