Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

GTR's still available but still $ over MSRP

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GTR's still available but still $ over MSRP

Just stopped by my local Nissan dealership. They only have one GTR out of their allotment sold. They are expecting at least two more. But they are still asking for 25k over MSRP. I wonder if they will back down anytime soon? The recession may have slowed down enthusiasm slightly. I'm not sure how many people with the amount of disposable income available to buy a GTR would have been affected by the recession. I have heard, on the GTR forums, that many other Nissan dealerships have not sold their allotment but are sticking to their guns on their way above MSRP pricing. I really hope that the remainder don't sell and the dealerships are forced to come down on the price, but enthusiasm may increase again once the GTR's hit the streets.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:25 AM
Account Disabled

i hope they come down as well. it would be nice to own one in a couple of years.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:39 AM

I agree asking for 25k over sticker at the wrong time is not the greatest strategy. Maybe when prices tame down a bit, i can place an order for one.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll say it.

Anyone that pays that much markup is a M0R0N --- and just plain desperate for some sort of respect --- even if it's just respect for their car.

Patience is a virtue, my friends.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
They want 120000$ for a GTR here, that's 40000$ over MSRP.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Mine is up for sale in the Private Evo 1-9 for sale section. Delivery date July 11th.

MSRP is not going to happen on any 09 GT-R's. I know people that are on next years list at 10k over and happy to be on it.

It is just simple supply and demand.

If you think the markup on the GT-R is bad try and get a ZR-1. They already have confirmed buyers on the left coast that are willing to pay $200,000 over for it.

Porsche 997rs = 50k over
Ferrari 599 -$75 - 100 over

It is a crazy world out there but to people that make 2-10 million + a year those markups mean nothing to them. Chump change. So it is all relative.

Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

disgusting
Old Jun 17, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
They want 120000$ for a GTR here, that's 40000$ over MSRP.
Where are you?

They can buy mine cheaper than that.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know of any actual Ferrari dealers marking anything up 75-100K. Maybe some people who were lucky enough to get on Ferari's list and then flip their car's, But not actual dealers. I'll tell you something though, It the factory finds out you flipped your car for a 75K profit, You won't be getting on any of Ferrari's list ever again.

And a GTR at 25K over list is cool I guess for anyone that wants one bad enough, I'm certainly not one. I think Nissan dealers will most certainly screw the pooch by effing up how they handle sales of their first nice car in the US.

Last edited by zbomb; Jun 17, 2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Calgary, in Canuckistan. Dealers are selling the Z06 for under MSRP, I don't see why the base GTR should be any different. I can understand a horrific markup on the V-Spec but putting the GTR into Porsche territory is ridiculous, I would rather have the slower Porsche than explain to people why I paid 100000$ for a Nissan.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
I don't know of any actual Ferrari dealers marking anything up 75-100K. Maybe some people who were lucky enough to get on Ferrari's list and then flip their car's, But not actual dealers. I'll tell you something though, It the factory finds out you flipped your car for a 75K profit, You won't be getting on any of Ferrari's list ever again.
If you wait on a dealers list you can get a 599 for example as a friend of mine just did for MSRP but if you go on any site or the Dupont registry for example there are many Ferrari's going over msrp.

BTW I'm not getting a Ferrari if you where referring to me.

Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Calgary, in Canuckistan. Dealers are selling the Z06 for under MSRP, I don't see why the base GTR should be any different. I can understand a horrific markup on the V-Spec but putting the GTR into Porsche territory is ridiculous, I would rather have the slower Porsche than explain to people why I paid 100000$ for a Nissan.
Like I said it is all about supply and demand.

GT-R is hot right now with all the hype and performace numbers going around and they are only bringing in like 2000 of them into the US this year so mucn less than the 6000 Z06's that were sold in 06 -07.

In 06 when the Z06 was launched it was commanding prices as high as 25k over msrp and your right now they can be had for 8-10k under msrp. That is why the are one of the best pefromance bargins on the market IMO. I paid 1k under msrp for my Z06 in early 07 and I thought I was getting a deal LOL.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone that can afford a GT-R, is probably not affected by the recession. Recession usually affects the poor and middle class.
Supply and demand, they have it, you want it....how much do you have.
Old Jun 17, 2008, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

What I was trying to say is that a company that is accustomed to selling beautiful, High end exotics, Ferrari, knows how to manage their dealers to not go out and gouge customers and each other for a measly ( to them ) 75K. They say: hey a Ferrari is'nt an easy thing to own, here's the right way to do it, Get on our list and when your turn comes you get your car. You know what, People wait years for their time to come. But they are rewarded with a wonderful car at the price the factory believed it should sell for. And the next time a new Ferrari comes up they get a better more preferred spot on Ferrari's list and so on and so fourth. By the time you have bought 3 or 4 brand new Ferrari's from a real dealer you have a shot of getting an Enzo or whatever the next supercar will be, And you get it for sticker! Take a back door 'cause you don't want to wait and you'll pay the rediculous premium.

I wish Nissan could realize that a manufacturer who put's reigns on their dealer network is a more respected manufacturer from the consumer's eyes. I wonder how much GTR's are marked up in Japan, If at all?

Shame your putting your soon to be GTR for sale, Good business oppurtunity I suppose.