Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Roush Mustangs? Any good?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2008, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Roush Mustangs? Any good?

I am feeling the need for some RWD action, and I just don't like the Z, S2000, or any of the other cars I have seen. BMW's break too much for me. But yesterday, my mother got a mustang as a loaner while her car was in the shop and it was not too bad. So I started thinking...

Mustang GT + Roush power mods + Roush suspension = ???

I have no interest in the upgraded interior, the bodykit, etc. so I figure that just the performance bits would not be too expensive, considering the GT is like 24K or so after haggling, and I have an offer for 16k for my current dd. (I am keeping the Evo for the track)

I looked at the Saleens, but they are too expensive for my taste.

So does anyone know if a Mustang with all the Roush stuff can handle? It would be DD, but I also would like to use it for track days when the Evo is on blocks and I might try out this drifting thing. I used to drift my Bronco back in the day, and it was hard not to drift my '69 charger, so I figure that it would be fun every once in a while.

Mostly, I just need something RWD that is not purely a street bowler.

Thanks for any info, even if it is a big fat "No, it sucks" lol
Old Jul 10, 2008, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
roush's suck just like a gt lol there are a gt with a body kit exp. for the stage 3 its supercharged but they are still weak they just dont make power and there bottom ends are weak as hell... if you want a rwd car get a f body aka ls1 camaro or t/a 1998 -2002 the best cars ever i work at a lsx shop synergy motorsports with just a cam and long tube headers you will break 400 to 430 ls1's make power no matter what
Old Jul 10, 2008, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by slow/***/rs
roush's suck just like a gt lol there are a gt with a body kit exp. for the stage 3 its supercharged but they are still weak they just dont make power and there bottom ends are weak as hell... if you want a rwd car get a f body aka ls1 camaro or t/a 1998 -2002 the best cars ever i work at a lsx shop synergy motorsports with just a cam and long tube headers you will break 400 to 430 ls1's make power no matter what
LOL MUSTANGS SUX!! Shut up. Thanks.

For the money they charge on a Roush, you'll be better off getting a standard GT and doing all the work yourself.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 07:59 PM
Account Disabled

like posters stated above it wouldn't be worth it. as for looks I prefer the Saleen mustangs over the roushes. and they're way overpriced. I would look for a gt as well and mod it myself.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

ok, looks like my question is answered. thanks
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Get a used S2000 and turbo it... For the same 24k + roush mods you could get an S2000 capable of 300-400 whp. Our's was putting down around 350, and if we had only done power mods instead of track mods (ie gutting the damn thing, etc) it probably wouldn't cost much more than 30k, considering you can buy a decently used S2k for around 15-17k nowadays. And you wouldn't have a piece of **** mustang.

But if you're really opposed to them, there's still better options out there for a fun DD/kinda track/kinda drift RWD cars out there.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:23 PM

Mazda RX8 maybe.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:23 PM
Evolving Member

03+ Cobra is a fun contender if your purely after brute rwd power. KB 2.2 blower and a few other goodies your sitting 630+ whp in a hurry.

Bryan
Old Jul 11, 2008, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

I have to be able to fit 3 kids in the car. I am too pale for a convertible. Nothing German (bad, bad experiences). Must have a warranty, so no modded or old cars.

I am so hard to please
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:02 AM

I would say go for an 03 cobra. With just a few mods you will have a fast car. Its already supercharged and responds very very well with like I said before very few mods.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:08 PM

ah you only need warranty if your car is unreliable for 16k u can make you self a sick older rwd car.

ive seen 3rd gen rx-7 with ls1 swap clean as hell for 18-20

or get a stock 240 put suspension wheels and a motor and have money left over or u can go ***** out and spend the 16k make a complete 600rwp 240 lol

you got many options.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

All the "tooner" Mustangs are weak and only Overpriced.

Get a base GT ,, comes with a lsd,,,,,,,,slapp on your own blower and springs,

Call it a day for about $5k.

Saves you about $25k from the Roush,, Saleens
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silvrevo
All the "tooner" Mustangs are weak and only Overpriced.

Get a base GT ,, comes with a lsd,,,,,,,,slapp on your own blower and springs,

Call it a day for about $5k.

Saves you about $25k from the Roush,, Saleens
+1 all you're paying for is the name, for the money the performance sucks. you're way better off getting a GT, and slapping on some Forced induction.

ive seen some really good results by just slapping on a couple turbo(s) to a GT.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
Account Disabled

I had a 2003 Roush Stage 2. I'd say go for it if you want to spend the money to have a genuine roush.

But like the others said, you're better off with a newer GT, mod it yourself and call it a day. Have you driven it yet?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think the Roush is a waste of money. They look awesome, they're limited edition, handle well (check out Top Gear's review), go fast and have a warranty. Sure, they aren't awesome bang for the buck cars like the GT, but still very nice rides.

If you're a penny pincher, get a brand new Mustang GT for ~$23k and put $5k into it. You'll run circles around most cars on the road. Cams, exhaust, tune, etc can get you 360+ hp.

Also, stock GTs come with 400 treadwear all season tires so just putting on a summer tire will make a huge difference in the handling.

Quick Reply: Roush Mustangs? Any good?