Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Anybody with experience on Triumph Daytona 675 bikes?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2008, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody with experience on Triumph Daytona 675 bikes?

Hey guys seriously contemplating getting a new Triumph Daytona 675 special edition to play with before i save to get the supra.. Love yamahas and suzukis but you see too many of them and they are way expensive now a days... Know nothing about any other bikes besides jap bikes and really thinking about picking one of these up but worried about servicing and reliability.. what you guys think??

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/Daytona...40.aspx?page=1
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

cant tell you about service/maintenance but i have ridden one. at the time i owned a 2005 r6. the daytona had a little more ***** down low due to the extra cc's but up high the r6 pulled like a banshee, dont know how they would do in a race but felt similar. the r6 didnt want to start making power until about 7k rpms, which is what most 600's are like. the daytona power came on a little earlier. personally id go with the r6 before the daytona but i do like the looks of the daytona. last fall i upgraded to an 06 r1 and wont ever go back!!!!!! good luck, take a rider safety class if you havent already.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

i have the SE..LOVE IT. not one complain yet but my right leg gets roastin hot at a stoplight! bout 1200miles on it, bought it new all ive done so far is change the oil, and put some psi in the tires check here one of the best forums;
http://www.triumph675.net/forum/
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:51 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Articl...ID=6413&Page=1

Compared against the other top 600's. If you can cough up almost double get the duc just kuz it looks awesome.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:53 AM
Evolved Member

naw im cheap man.. 9 is about my limit... im honestly not looking for a crazy *** fast bike...i just want soemthing with some ***** that looks good and is fun to ride.. But i am REALLY diggin how that SE looks in black and gold... never even been to a triumph dealer and they like firm on all their prices?

Last edited by E VOL IX; Jul 17, 2008 at 03:55 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Don't know about prices but just curious if it's your first bike? And the black and gold combo is really nice. Also sit on all the bikes you are considering and if you can test them.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My buddy's GF has one, she has had mad problems with it. At 5K it lost the bottom end, she was on her way to the dealer for an oil change. Turns out it had used basically all the oil in it. Took the dealer a month to fix it. New crank, bearings and rods. I think the pistons were ok. Now it's using oil again at an alarming rate. She's looking to unload it I think because it's nothing but a hassle.

Buy a Jap bike...
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by grillpt
My buddy's GF has one, she has had mad problems with it. At 5K it lost the bottom end, she was on her way to the dealer for an oil change. Turns out it had used basically all the oil in it. Took the dealer a month to fix it. New crank, bearings and rods. I think the pistons were ok. Now it's using oil again at an alarming rate. She's looking to unload it I think because it's nothing but a hassle.

Buy a Jap bike...
That's almost certainly improper break-in.

The lastest issue of Sport Rider has the annual 600cc shootout including the 675. Go have a read.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

hmmm good one^^
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

I know for a fact that she did everything correctly as far as break-in miles are concerned. She treats her bike very,very well. IDK if it's a freak problem or what, but you asked and I let it be known. What you choose to do with the info is up to you.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

right.... dont get me wrong.. i love..LOVE r1's and r6's but you see them EVERYWHERE.... and i hate having what everybody else has... i have ridden a lot of bikes just never owned one of my own..
im kind of down to these

05-08 r6
04-08 gixxer 600-750
08 daytona 675 special edition
Old Jul 17, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Wow your Evo look to be pretty baddazzzzz.

Im more of the upright ridder,,,,,,,,I love the ST. But also like the BMW F800st.

Love the idea of having belt drive.

But as you Price somes into play. Im very happy with my FZ-6,, same ridding postion of the BMW, and close to the ST Triumph... just about half the price thou.

You cant beat a good 1-2 hour ride to wash your problems away!!!!!!!!

Enjoy and do take /and or brush up with a MSF course.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E VOL IX
right.... dont get me wrong.. i love..LOVE r1's and r6's but you see them EVERYWHERE.... and i hate having what everybody else has... i have ridden a lot of bikes just never owned one of my own..
im kind of down to these

05-08 r6
04-08 gixxer 600-750
08 daytona 675 special edition
I would compare the 3 cylinder Daytona with a bigger 4-inline,like GXSR 750... i would say if you like to rev. get a jap. bike.
Otherwise the Daytona has a much better low-end.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
My bro bought one a couple months ago, it is awesome. I almost bought one after riding his, but I thought the two of us riding together on the same bike would lead to a few too many conclusions, especially since we have very similar leathers already

He has the red one, I wanted the special edition black and gold one but it is too much money just for different paint. I decided not to buy one, but just because I spend all my extra money on track days in the Evo. If I bought a sport bike, it would be the Daytona.

My bro's bike only has a couple thousand miles, but it has been rock solid. He blew a tire the day he bought it, the tire split horizontally across the whole face of the tire, and he was able to park it with no incident. Triumph refused to cover the tire as a defect even though it split with like 50 miles on it, but oh well I am sure most dealers would do the same thing.

Triumph does test rides, so do that and see if you like it. The reputation around here is that they are almost as reliable as the Japanese bikes, but more fun.

Originally Posted by grillpt

Buy a Jap bike...
The salesman told us when we picked up the bike that it would burn a lot of oil, and it should be checked about every time you fill up the gas. However, it is normal for them so just keep it topped off and it will run fine.

Last edited by CaliMR; Jul 17, 2008 at 01:59 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=CaliMR;5900230]
The salesman told us when we picked up the bike that it would burn a lot of oil, and it should be checked about every time you fill up the gas. However, it is normal for them so just keep it topped off and it will run fine.[/QUOTE]

Why on god's green earth would anyone buy something after being told that by the very people selling it to you?
This totally confirms what my friend had to find out out her own. Who the f wants to HAVE to check your oil everytime you put gas in the thing. No thanks.

Quick Reply: Anybody with experience on Triumph Daytona 675 bikes?