Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Nissan's GT-R goes around TG track in 1:19.7

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JordanS4
Note Evo FQ-400 went 1:24.8. The GT-R is significantly faster than most stock turbo Evo's would be on pump gas (400ish CHP) or more. You need a pretty good driver in a 35R car to probably go 1:19s. Wow. GT-R is impressive.
In defense to the times of the Evo FQ400 which by the way I watched that video a few times I call BS 2 things:

1) The road was partially wet
2) The driver miserably failed to downshift after taking the second or third turn to the end consequently loosing inmense amount of time. had that driver downshifted properly and that Evo would have done 1-2 seconds faster.

Please watch the video before arguing, I am very firm on what I am saying, that FQ 400 was almost driven well but it lacked in a couple of spots. In the video you can hear Jeremy saying: uhhhhh.. he is off the boost!!!!

Botton line, the FQ400 wasn't driven properly, it was an operator error, the driver applied his inexperience technique to erroneously drive the car at low speed in the wrong gear.. to make matters worst the car is fitted with a larger turbo thus the final lap times reflects.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jul 23, 2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Retire the evo+ e39, buy a gtr and use an yaris as a DD.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 03:57 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Top Gear's power lap is a lousy reference. A single lap in each car, vastly different conditions over the year, etc. It's also a smallish track with no long straights, unlike most tracks.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

^^ I concur.. I noticed that the very last final turn/curve is so badly engineered that half of the cars physically run in to the grass and drive over a jump getting almost all 4 in the air. For those still trying to figure out what I am saying just watch just about any video and you know what I mean.

Also in other turns within the track the cars run out of room as well. Definately not a good "all around" track to set as a reference, let alone the diversity of climate condition in which the cars are exposed(sometime wet roads, sometimes sunny, sometimes cloudy...).

Carlos
Old Jul 23, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree that the track is not a great track to show what a car can do but on something more suitable every car would just record better lap times and the supercars would pull even further out in front.

The Stig gets a long time with each car to learn the limits and being an ex F1 driver I'd say it wouldn't take him longer than a session or two to go for the fastest lap. It's not first try and that's it.

Carlos I haven't seen the video but I wouldn't argue with you anyways I'm sure the FQ-400 could have gone faster. The driver usually remains consistent, the weather can't but what do you want them to do about that? Test 5 cars a year or have a second or two difference in results? They mark down when cars go round and the track is wet and they didn't say the FQ-400 track was wet. Why would they do that?
Old Jul 23, 2008, 08:49 AM
El Jefe

Originally Posted by JordanS4
The Stig gets a long time with each car to learn the limits and being an ex F1 driver I'd say it wouldn't take him longer than a session or two to go for the fastest lap. It's not first try and that's it.
I've seen the Stig botch a turn and they still take that lap time.

FWIW, the black stig was an F1 tester, never raced. The white stig nobody is positive about. Might even be two different white stigs.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

I believe it was Massa who said after watching Stig drive a 2 seater F1 car that he was "definitely ex-F1"

Either way, it's just a TV show.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Jordans4, I was refering as a road with a lot of moist in some spots..it clearly looks like the surface wasn't dry all the way because you can see some old water remain in some places.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Jul 23, 2008 at 08:31 PM.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 08:54 PM
Account Disabled

Two seater F1 car? What's the point of that?
Old Jul 24, 2008, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by VincentX
Two seater F1 car? What's the point of that?
Give someone a ride!
Old Jul 24, 2008, 08:02 AM
El Jefe

Yep. A few teams over the years have modified cars to seat two people, usually so their well-paid drivers can give their well-endowed sponsors a ride in the car.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmsrx
Don't get me wrong, the Z06 will dominate the GTR on highway pulls and drag runs past 1/4 mile. But when you say power tracks, you must be speaking of oval tracks, because the 'Ring has just as many long straights and long sweeping curves as a Z06 owner could want. I'm sure you have seen it, but here is the link to the video of the GTR on the 'Ring.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGe_fyhQazg

Notice the map in the lower right corner. Look at all those long straight runs in between the tight curves. And for those who have played any video games, you should know how many chances to bury the throttle you get on the Nordschliffe. The Z06 does not have enough power to make up for the loss of time in the corners. The ZR1, on the other hand, is a much different story. It pulls away in the straights and loses no time in the corners. The Z06 does not seem to be a match for the GTR on a non-oval track. The ZR1 seems like it handles the GTR quite soundly on the track though.
Yes but that car has cut slicks and modified suspension. If they failed to mention that for awhile I bet it was a little more HP than the factory ones too. Thats why many of the first reviewed ones were so fast but the latest production ones aren't matching the time.

They have never ran a 100% factory GTR at the Ring. You can take atleast 10sec off it times just for slicks if not more. It would not come close to the Z06 in factory form. Put cut slicks on the Z06 and better suspension and would probably surpass the ZR1 time quite easily considering stock Z06 tires are junk.
Old Jul 24, 2008, 08:03 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by WestSideBilly
Yep. A few teams over the years have modified cars to seat two people, usually so their well-paid drivers can give their well-endowed sponsors a ride in the car.
I see.