Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Are supras really that godly?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2008, 04:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are supras really that godly?

It seems like everyone goes nuts over a MKIV supra these days...are they really that ridiculous? My friend has one and its fast but I see people like us with evos constantly pushing high numbers and awesome 1/4 times pretty regularly.

I havent really done a whole lot to my evo right yet..i did a few simple bolt ons and turned the boost up and im around 305whp..I plan to do a lot more as im building a monster...

Is it because they dont make the supras anymore? I havent really seen too many vids of evos versus supras but the one I did see the evo beat it...ive done some research on the supras but it just seems like everyone goes nuts about them..at least around here they do if they see one versus an evo which is just as rare around here lol.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 04:56 PM
sly
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Meanmachine04
It seems like everyone goes nuts over a MKIV supra these days...are they really that ridiculous? My friend has one and its fast but I see people like us with evos constantly pushing high numbers and awesome 1/4 times pretty regularly.

I havent really done a whole lot to my evo right yet..i did a few simple bolt ons and turned the boost up and im around 305whp..I plan to do a lot more as im building a monster...

Is it because they dont make the supras anymore? I havent really seen too many vids of evos versus supras but the one I did see the evo beat it...ive done some research on the supras but it just seems like everyone goes nuts about them..at least around here they do if they see one versus an evo which is just as rare around here lol.
Same here i get alot of people who go nuts over supra`s.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:03 PM

Supra's are not godly to me, cause i dont like rwd.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea they are nice and all and can be extremly fast i feel like alot of them arent daily driven unless they are close to stock there are plenty around my way that i see regularly but they r all stock or only slightly modded. there are a ton a nasty evos rolling around and are people dailys. i feel like alot of supras are either show cars or dyno queens...dont get me wrong i love them but i dont think they are godly
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:16 PM
Account Disabled

They're only good in going in a straight line.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Supras were the car to get back in the day and the car to beat. A not so expensive car that was a great platform to build a monster and it looked good. Now a days, Evos are putting up great numbers and time, either same if not faster. The supra still maintains its legacy and the fact that they are not in production anymore also hypes it up. Most car with the right resources, time, effort and money can be fast.

~Chug
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

The Supra has a much higher horsepower potential then the Evo, but that doesnt mean everyone who owns a Supra build it's engine to the max. Supra is a great machine if you want a high hp straight line beast, but the Evo is the better all around do anything car.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolving Member

Thats what im sayin lol. My buddy that has the supra prolly is pushing around 650 or 700rwhp..I see evos all over the place pushing just as much or more and are driven with decent reliability...My friend takes his supra out maybe 5 times the entire summer...I dont get the point..And like you said about the nasty evos the one vid I saw of a evo versus a supra the evo won...I guess I just dont get why ppl go so nuts over them..the evo has just as much status and potential imo
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

Hmm yeh supras can def achieve a lot of hp but so can evos? which is why i started becoming confused and thinking wtf this is not such a godlike car anymore lol
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

maybe they just now watched "the fast and the furious"? a lil behind the jdm curve i guess???
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Remember that the Supra has a larger displacement I-6 engine as oppose to the 2.0L I-4 in the Evo. The larger engine right off the bat has more power potential because it can suck in more air/fuel (the bases of making power) then the smaller engine. There is no replacement for displacement as the saying goes.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

I get what you are saying..but by that principal a V8 mustang would always have more potential than both of them and you hardly ever see mustangs beating either one of these cars lol.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by South Side Evo
The Supra has a much higher horsepower potential then the Evo, but that doesnt mean everyone who owns a Supra build it's engine to the max. Supra is a great machine if you want a high hp straight line beast, but the Evo is the better all around do anything car.
No. I do not concur at all. While the Supra makes great power when well modded, the specific hp/displacement that the Supra achieves is easily toped by the specific hp/displacement on a 4G63.

Proportionally, the 4G63 makes more power than the 2jz, it just happens that the Supra engine starts with a greater engine.

Carlos
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have wanted a Supra now for going on 9 years. I still want one, but the money to maintain and get a 14 year old car back to today's clean standards, unless it was very well taken care of are quite expensive.

Most hardcore MKIV's stroke their engines to 3.2L. The 2JZGTE Engine inline six is a godly motor. I will have one one day, but for daily driving and best traction, I chose the Evo.

The Supra when done right is a great car. I would say it is a Godly car. I just wouldn't drive one daily unless my commute consisted of highway miles.

Tom H. Boost Logic Supra MKIV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_MXiyVSoJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4o2EHQP_EU (watch the guy TRYING to hold the camera still - LOL )

WOTM MKIV vs. Turbo Hyabusa, laying 30 ft skid marks going 80 on the Highway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB4DZRaPIPo

Cody Phillips Supra testing on the Highway:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky6ukOf9I7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky6ukOf9I7g

(I do not condone street racing, these are just videos on YouTube I like)

Last edited by compscibOi; Aug 10, 2008 at 06:00 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

I think the problem with the Stang and other American V-8 motors, is that they weren't designed from the beginning to handle (in stock form) massive amount of power. It's a reliability thing (again in stock form) that is holding the 'Stang back, that in turn also affects how many successful turbo kits are created for this machine. Don't get me wrong, the 'Stang is a beast, but a different beast then the Supra. Also the 2JZ engine (in some circles) is considered better then the RB26DETT (which wasn't available here in the U.S.).