Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Solid performance cars that don't require a ton of upkeep...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2008, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The simpler the car the less chance for things to go wrong. Import versus domestic. Over the last 20 years I have had enough lessons from domestics.

Some people have great mojo and can drive some of the worst cars with no problems. So really this is going to be about taste.

But if I were to pick the best used performance car for reliability into would be an Integra Type R. They weighed very little, had no turbochargers or awd diffs. They didnt make enough torque to blow anything up. And they were perhaps my favorite honda manufactured car ever. It is also to this day a force as an autox car (10 years after it was sold!)
Old Aug 26, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by teamspink20
a big negative on the srt4 my best friend had one and yea its a fun car but all we did to it was tbe intake and tune didnt put down alot of power but after snapping 4 axles he had about enough so he traded it in. the kid who bought it blew it up the first day he owned it. the car was quick but it spent more time at dodge gettin axles put in under warranty then it did on the road. i cant imagine if we wound up putting that stage 3 kit on that he almost bought. i would go with the miata those cars are awsome its like driving a golf cart haha i would love to get one and cram an ls1 in it
A big negative? based on your "friend"? Didn't put down a lot of power after an intake and a tune? Probably because they don't respond to intakes well at all and he wouldn't need a TUNE after that crap. Maybe if he tried a WGA and a TBE as starter mods he'd put down the 250whp 280ish wtq I did... with hmm under $750 in mods? kthxbai
Old Aug 27, 2008, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by R1ckyB0bbyyy
A big negative? based on your "friend"? Didn't put down a lot of power after an intake and a tune? Probably because they don't respond to intakes well at all and he wouldn't need a TUNE after that crap. Maybe if he tried a WGA and a TBE as starter mods he'd put down the 250whp 280ish wtq I did... with hmm under $750 in mods? kthxbai
wasnt just my "friend" we lived together i was in that thing everyday and each one of the 4 times he snapped axles... that car was never beat on...it was only at the track once and went 13.7 not a bad time for a basically stock car but neither of us were happy with the quality of the car. he just couldnt justify putting those expensive moser axles in it when there wasnt much done perforance wise. i liked the car it was fun to drive in but IMHO i dont feel like those cars hold up as well as others i personally wouldnt recommend one to anyone that thing gave us nothing but trouble
Old Aug 27, 2008, 08:29 PM
Account Disabled

My Evo VIII 04. Not one issue. I have 362 whp, I run 11.68 1/4 at 119 mph. I only rebuild the clutch. That's it.

My friends SRT-4 is stock and even the dealer doesn't know what is wrong with the car. He went to Nissan 300zx TT. He said that SRT-4 was a hideous car and he would like to delete that chapter from his life and forget that he ever bought that nasty *** car. Sorry.