Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

What a disappointment: Chevy Volt

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:18 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jmartinez1170
Took a trip from chicago to atl (3 times)set the miles on 0 once the car started to choke up i stoped to put in gas each trip i was getting 400-440miles on a full gas tank.

Not everyone is going to jump up and pay $40grand for this car lol. I say its not going to sell very well.
Again, distance per tank is a really ****ty way to judge economy, so quit doing it.

As for what people will pay, are you kidding? The Prius only offers marginally better economy than a cheap Corolla, yet people are more than happy to pay the premium for the image. The Volt will be the same way - all the upper middle class folks will want one so they can show it off.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:21 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by badstainless
If it was 100 miles on battery and 300 on gas I would be ecstatic.

I drive 36 miles to work. So 72 miles round trip. I would have to charge it at my work (which I could do.) But 100 miles would be SO much better. Any word on official pricing?

Nothing official, but based on previous executive quotes, expect it to be in the upper $30's.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcollinstex
The savings is gone if you ever have to pay to replace the batteries.

FYI: When these start showing up used with no warranty, people are gonna get screwed.
People said the same thing about the Prius. By the time the Volts need new batteries (~10-15 years), the batteries will be old tech and cheap. It's like DVD players - 10 years ago they were $500 and now they're $30.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
Nothing official, but based on previous executive quotes, expect it to be in the upper $30's.
And they might have a tax credit on them. I think GM is wanting the government to put up $7500.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

I know this is a hybrid with a gas and electric motor but honestly 40 miles on just electric seems a little weak when considering in the mid 90's GM put out the EV1 which was all electric and had a range of 160 miles. Not quite 340 miles but it also used no gas. here's a link for it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_EV1
Old Sep 16, 2008, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by E. Haskell
People said the same thing about the Prius. By the time the Volts need new batteries (~10-15 years), the batteries will be old tech and cheap. It's like DVD players - 10 years ago they were $500 and now they're $30.
Probably, but batteries are still expensive. There's probably going to be a disposal fee on these things too.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/11/auto...ex.htm?cnn=yes

40 miles on the batt. + 300 miles on the gas motor. = pointless. my moms saturn gets a way better range then this crap on a full tank i can get 400+ miles on one tank all highway miles.

Look at the report at the bottom as far as what they think the price will be
Originally Posted by Kurt
340 miles?! I can do that with my MazdaSpeed 3 and still have some gas left. Is this the best that Chevy can do?
Took a trip from chicago to atl (3 times)set the miles on 0 once the car started to choke up i stoped to put in gas each trip i was getting 400-440miles on a full gas tank.

Not everyone is going to jump up and pay $40grand for this car lol. I say its not going to sell very well.

The VW TDI jetta or whatever its called gets over 30+ on city along 40+ on highway. This car is pointless. Now tell me this when your at work and your in the parking lot how the hell you going to charge your car running a cord from the building i dont think so. I know that in every office building ive worked in wont let you do that at all because of the risk if the cord where to be cut and it rain byebye car. Not everyone works less then 40miles round trip. I know people that drive 50-80miles just to get to work so people dont have a choice.

Honestly, i hope you guys are kidding..... Are you really judging a car by the miles/tank ? LMAO Oh man, good stuff. I'm not even going to bother.

I'll tell you what, how about you edit those posts and we'll pretend like you didn't even write them.

As for the Volt, I'd like to see more than 40mile/charge but this is still attractive enough to get me interested. Regardless, I'm happy to see this type of car coming to the market.
Old Sep 17, 2008, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This car will be unsucessful. Gas mileage wise is on the botton of the list. It has no means to compite. It is far from standards

Carlos
Old Sep 19, 2008, 04:11 AM
Evolving Member

I bet it's like any other battery. First it goes like a champ and slowly fades away like laptop battery.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:42 PM
slt
Evolved Member

Ughh, the widespread misconceptions about this car are insane.

1. they could have given it a 200 mile battery only range, but guess what, that costs/wieghs alot more and for the 80% of the time that you only drive 40 miles a day it is completly pointless. Yes the EV1 went 100 miles, but its battery pack cost $80,000, wieghed 4x as much, and the EV1 was a glorified golf cart, not the refined, real car that is the volt.

2. The batteries come with a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty.

3. The upcoming almighty plug-in Prius will only go 7 miles on electric only

4. Comparing range is pointless. The Volt only comes with a 6 gallon tank. Congratulations if your car goes further on twice the gas.
Old Sep 24, 2008, 11:49 PM
Evolved Member

It runs on the battery always. the gasoline engine only is used to charge the battery. this is the same technology in any modern train. they are electric. the diesel engines are used to only charge the battery. so the range thing, isnt the issue. it is an electric car not a hybrid.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by fromWRXtoEVO
This car will be unsucessful. Gas mileage wise is on the botton of the list. It has no means to compite. It is far from standards

Carlos
Why unsuccessful? For the environmentally conscious with disposable income ( like Camron Diaz who drives a Prius), they'll buy it.

40 mile range on batteries is more than enough for me. My commute to work is only 10 miles round trip. The gym and grocery store are only 2 miles away. Back in grad school, my commute was only 15 miles round trip. In undergrad, 15 miles round trip for one year (I lived next to campus the other years). Even when I went out to downtown or movies, never more than 20 miles round trip.

Basically, I've never had to commute anymore more than 25 miles max round trip my whole life. 40 mile range on batteries is fine.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

with a range of 40 miles on battery ALONE without a drop of gasoline, then with 7.5 gallon fuel tank to run the engine that charges the battery, because it runs on the battery alone, that is a 340 mile range on 7.5 gallons. Not too bad if you ask me. thats almost 46 MPG. I would buy it.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
Erm, range isn't exactly an accurate way to compare the efficiency of two cars, and I really doubt that your mom's Saturn is capable of matching the efficiency of this car.

First off, 40 mile range all electric is handy for many, many people's commutes. Second, the backup gas generator is only 1.4 liters, so it's not going to burn a whole lot of fuel. This thing probably has a tiny fuel tank.
This ^

Originally Posted by slt
Ughh, the widespread misconceptions about this car are insane.

1. they could have given it a 200 mile battery only range, but guess what, that costs/wieghs alot more and for the 80% of the time that you only drive 40 miles a day it is completly pointless. Yes the EV1 went 100 miles, but its battery pack cost $80,000, wieghed 4x as much, and the EV1 was a glorified golf cart, not the refined, real car that is the volt.

2. The batteries come with a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty.

3. The upcoming almighty plug-in Prius will only go 7 miles on electric only

4. Comparing range is pointless. The Volt only comes with a 6 gallon tank. Congratulations if your car goes further on twice the gas.
And this ^

I'd definitely buy/drive one.

Tom
Old Sep 25, 2008, 09:26 AM
Evolving Member

Considering the tech involved in this thing the price is actually really really good. Look at a Volt compared to an evoX MR for instance, which should be about the same price before rebates.

X - New motor shared between 3 manufacturers and numerous models, new transmission, modular chassis, new stability programming.

Volt - 2 new motors not shared (yet), new control units, new battery technology, new transmission or atleast new transmission controls and programming, entirely new interior interface, new modular chassis. And that's not even scratching the surface for the new accessory units that have been streamlined.

It's no wonder GM won't see a profit until the platform gets shared, there's billions tied up in R&D, testing, and marketing for 1 car right now that even toyota says "can't exist with today's technology."

Quick Reply: What a disappointment: Chevy Volt