Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

HTA3076r v. 3065

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HTA3076r v. 3065

man, ive been searching for days on both topics. unfortunately, the info provided for the HTA30r is uber slim, and have only found 1 dyno, which was Buschar's.
He said the HTA30r made 504hp/462tq at 31psi compared to Jrod@Buschar's car equipped w/ the 3065 inwhich made 505hp/407tq at the same boost. and also stated the powerband of the HTA30r was better than the 3065...which could be subjective since it was a vendor dyno...

what is everyone else seeing in the realworld for spool on both? the hta30r take the cake for spool?

Ive read on more than one forum that the 30r turbine is a poor and inefficient match to the 35r's compressor... so that makes me kind of weary..but at the same time, i have also seen some GREAT numbers put out by 3065's...

i was pretty much dead set on the 3065...but i have a friend w/ a brand new HTA30r for sale for 1300...and thats almost too good of a price to pass up. so i looked into it a lil, and tho there are few details on it, the results from buschur seem promising.

ideas/help?

TIA
Old Sep 22, 2008, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

HTA3076 hands down I have a .82a/r and I'm seeing full boost at 4200-4300rpm at 23psi I'm sure with a .63a/r you will see full boost around 3900rpm. It's a great turbo especially for a DD. A 3065 is just as laggy as a 35r and the HTA30r makes just as much power but will make more tq. I'll have mine for sell in next week or two it's time to go bigger .
Old Sep 22, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would go with hta3076r for an evo, but seeing you have a neon i would go with a 3065 since you have the 2.4ltr to spool it pretty quick
Old Sep 22, 2008, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

i like my 3065r, its been a very proven turbo in the dsm community and people with this turbo have posted some very nice 1/4 mile times.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Show286
HTA3076 hands down I have a .82a/r and I'm seeing full boost at 4200-4300rpm at 23psi I'm sure with a .63a/r you will see full boost around 3900rpm. It's a great turbo especially for a DD. A 3065 is just as laggy as a 35r and the HTA30r makes just as much power but will make more tq. I'll have mine for sell in next week or two it's time to go bigger .
you guys got those extra rpms to make up for the displacement i have tho

and see thats what im afraid of...buying a 3065 for "faster spool" over its big brother the 35r, but end up stuck at the same spool rate w/ a less efficient turbo

there has been only ONE person that has dyno'd the 3065 on our site. 525hp w/ a built motor on 24psi...which is GREAT...but its hard to judge my opinion on a turbo w/ 1 dyno result for our car...which is why i come over here. you guys got a plethora of hands on experience and info.

damn...4200 spool w/ the .82ar is quick for you guys. would be even faster for me. that sounds promising.

what are you selling your HTA30r in replacement for if you dont mind me asking? and did you ever dyno it?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well you're on an Evo forum and I'm not very knowledgeable about SRT4s so I can only comment on what I would do with an Evo, and maybe imagine if it had a stroker. You never said what type of driving you want to do, but despite the decent 1/4 mile times the 3065 has produced, I'd skip it. For a big power drag car I'd go stright to the 35R, and for something more versatile and faster spooling I'd take a 3076. Both will do well on pump, but the 3076 supposedly doesn't respond to race gas with any overwhelming improvement.

35Rs can be pretty laggy on a 2.0, but since you're 2.4, and especially if you go HTA, I don't think it will be so bad.

Last edited by hokiruu; Sep 22, 2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hokiruu
Well you're on an Evo forum and I'm not very knowledgeable about SRT4s so I can only comment on what I would do with an Evo, and maybe imagine if it had a stroker. You never said what type of driving you want to do, but despite the decent 1/4 mile times the 3065 has produced, I'd skip it. For a big power drag car I'd go stright to the 35R, and for something more versatile and faster spooling I'd take a 3076. Both will do well on pump, but the 3076 supposedly doesn't respond to race gas with any overwhelming improvement.

35Rs can be pretty laggy on a 2.0, but since you're 2.4, and especially if you go HTA, I don't think it will be so bad.
well i use the evo forums and compare your guy's spool on x turbo's w/ y turbo's on your cars, and gives me an idea of what results would look like on my car

35r's are laggy ****'s our 2.4's. full spool is around 4200. considering our rev limits are 6k-6500, it provides for a short lackluster powerband...so ive kind of strayed away from that idea.

this car is all street/highway racing. 23psi daily on 91oct pump w/ meth. 25-26psi on the occasional important races.

just trying to basically see if there is much of a spool difference between the 57-58lb HTA30r vs the 65lb 3065 w/ both utilizing the turbine....and in addition, what hp is looking like lb. for lb. vs the two. i can find a plethora of info for the 3065, but not so much for the HTA30r...so thats where the info on my end lacks.

i wonder, at what point does the smaller 30r turbine become more of a hindrance instead of helping increase spool and powerband w/ a larger coldside wheel?...
Old Sep 22, 2008, 06:44 PM
Former Sponsor

If it helps put the 3076HTA into perspective, look at the performance of this same compressor wheel (albeit in opposite rotation) in the EVORed model that we build but with a larger turbine wheel driving it.

In the 3065/3076HTA comparison, the 76HTA wheel in place of the 35R wheel results in a loss of about 5lb/min in the 3065 turbo setup, so you drop from a 65lb compressor to a 60lb roughly and get better spool. The GT3037/3076 turbo is usually considered to flow about 55lg/min dispite the 52lb rating assigned to it on the Garrett website, so the 76HTA is about 5-6lb/min greater flow rate.
Old Sep 22, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ForcedPerformance
If it helps put the 3076HTA into perspective, look at the performance of this same compressor wheel (albeit in opposite rotation) in the EVORed model that we build but with a larger turbine wheel driving it.

In the 3065/3076HTA comparison, the 76HTA wheel in place of the 35R wheel results in a loss of about 5lb/min in the 3065 turbo setup, so you drop from a 65lb compressor to a 60lb roughly and get better spool. The GT3037/3076 turbo is usually considered to flow about 55lg/min dispite the 52lb rating assigned to it on the Garrett website, so the 76HTA is about 5-6lb/min greater flow rate.

the info i was looking for..

just waiting on a response so i can pick up the guy's hta30r.

i need a turbo like yesterday (car's been down for a month), so if i dont hear anything ill have to test my luck w/ a 3065...
Old Sep 22, 2008, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

sweet. just bought the hta30r...

thanks everyone! ill update this thread after its on and dynoed w/ my new motor setup.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

DRASTIC, went looking for updates from you on the SRTforum. Looks like they banned you. Congratulations! Well don't forget about us here. I'd like to know how your HTA3076 is working out.

Last edited by Talonboost; Oct 20, 2008 at 08:03 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 11:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Talonboost
DRASTIC, went looking for updates from you on the SRTforum. Looks like they banned you. Congratulations! Well don't forget about us here. I'd like to know how your HTA3076 is working out.
which sn were you looking for?

My Drastic. sn was not banned until 2days ago for posting a NSFW comic pic. LOL
ill be back on there in 3 months...

the turbo is f0ckin awesome!

i have a built head w/ +1/+2 valves, ORIGINAL crower STG2 cams, sheet metal intake from JMFab (Awesome work), 70mm TB, etc...so it moves some decent air.

at 20psi, it felt like my 50t/.48 at 23psi (w/o the head or SMIM)..which was roughly 420-430 . felt good, but not worth the money i paid for it.

at 25.5psi...the thing was insane...
spun the tires to 110mph and sat at 7k in 3rd gear all the way to the end of the gear. just nutty.
honestly, it was probably in the neighborhood of 500-515hp.
it was enough to scare me. ive never been in a car so powerful feeling..(my bud has a 600hp cobra, but i felt i woulda did work to it).

spool is around 3600 for 25psi. which is completely awesome for our cars and that size of a turbo.

unfortunately ive been troubled w/ problems. as high as 15kr, and as low as 7* of timing.
ive changed a LOTof **** to fix the car...its slowly getting there.
timing is back wehre it needs, but i get a ****load of knock after 6k (0kr till 6krpms, then it hits 6-7kr).

im at the threshold of my stock rods though (CP forged 8.5:1 pistons and billet oil pump though)...so im not sure if i want to prepare for a full fledged built motor, or enjoy the car w/ a ton of potential and just raise the boost for those days im provoked to do so...

ive been in and tuned a LOT of diff turbos for this car. ive owned 7 or 8 different turbos now as well. out of all of them...this ranks #1 for a street prepped car edging a track car.

ive played w/ a BW s258 on my car (similarly sized turbo to the HTA30r), and the HTA would absolutely dominate it in every category.

sorry about the delay of a response. if you got any questions tho, LMK. ill try to peep around here more often.

Mike
Old Nov 12, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

DRASTIC, wow, sounds real good.
That's a lot of good info right there, but yeah I have some questions.
What a/r is your turbine housing? Is it T3 with 4 bolt outlet?
What octane gas was the 25.5 psi on, and was there any alky spray or water with that?
The .48 a/r 50 trim comparison is interesting because that's another turbo I think I could like. How many rpm difference in spool would you say there is between that and the HTA on your car? I assume the .48 50 spools sooner!
Is the knock problem just at 25psi, not at 20 psi?
The S258 you tried, what a/r turbine housing was on that? It was slower spooling I suppose? - how much slower?

I looked for DRASTIC on the SRT forum, that was back oct 20 or so, it had a big BANNED under your name. Way to go.

Thanks for the info,
Gary
Old Nov 16, 2008, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Talonboost
DRASTIC, wow, sounds real good.
That's a lot of good info right there, but yeah I have some questions.
What a/r is your turbine housing? Is it T3 with 4 bolt outlet?
What octane gas was the 25.5 psi on, and was there any alky spray or water with that?
The .48 a/r 50 trim comparison is interesting because that's another turbo I think I could like. How many rpm difference in spool would you say there is between that and the HTA on your car? I assume the .48 50 spools sooner!
Is the knock problem just at 25psi, not at 20 psi?
The S258 you tried, what a/r turbine housing was on that? It was slower spooling I suppose? - how much slower?

I looked for DRASTIC on the SRT forum, that was back oct 20 or so, it had a big BANNED under your name. Way to go.

Thanks for the info,
Gary

turbine is a Garrett T31 4-bolt. .63ar
ported on the inlet/outlet. ceramic coated.

i had meth on my 50trim, but to pay some of my stuff off, i sold it. i had upgraded from a standard dual nozzle setup to a direct port meth injection setup.. sucks i got rid of it.
w/ the hta30r, the car is ran 110oct 100% of the time now. its expensive to do so, but worth not risking mishaps w/ my car.

the 50t/.48ar is awesome. im not exactly sure what car you are using, but if you are looking for a FAST spool w/ a 420-460hp setup MAX, this would be it.
full spool of 23-25psi on that was around 3200 on my srt.

it is hard to compare the 50t to my HTA because i went from a ported stock intake mani, to a full out JMFAB sheet metal intake.
and from stock head w/ crower cams, to built head w/ cams.
those 2 things can greatly affect spool times.

but 25psi is about 36-3700 rpms on the HTA30r.
take into account that the JMFab SMIM was proven to slow spool ~300rpms (per their dyno sheet on their page), that means im looking at arond 33-3400rpm w/ stock head...which is AWESOME for a ~60lb/min wheel turbo.

my knock issue...is basically at any boost i set it at. ive tried 3 different custom tailored SCT tunes, new MSD coil, new msd wires, 5 different model plugs, hondata intake gasket, different grades of race gas, etc. still have it, but isnt nearly as severe.

the s258 was fitted w/ a turbonetics .63ar turbine housing and turbonetics stg3 turbine wheel. t3/4-bolt flanged. full spool on that w/ a stock head w/ cams and ported stock IM was around 3900-4k on the dot for 23psi.

i have some vids of me racing a 47lb s3 on HOM and 23psi on the s258 at 23psi and getting completely murdered by like 7-8cars.
then the ONLY change (still same tune) was the 50t at 20psi (3less psi) vs the same 47lb s3 on 23psi on HOM and me losing by 1/2 a car.

so i gained about 7cars on 3psi less boost on the 50t over the s258.

i duno if it was a bad combination of the s258 coldside w/ turbonetics hotside, but the s258 was just a POOR matchup to my car. it was the best sounding turbo ive ever heard though. so that gets 10 brownie points alone...

mike
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

DRASTIC if you are still around in here: Well it sounds like the .63a/r HTA3076 is your best all-around turbo yet, and the .48a/r 50 trim is great for spool but not quite as powerful.
I've been trying to read up on the AGP Delta 55 which has been causing a lot of excitement with the SRT people lately. Sounds to me like it might be roughly comparable to the HTA3076. But they don't even have a price for it yet and nobody has tested the LWRA for it yet either. Do you have any opinions on the Delta55? Do you know any of the guys that have had it on their car for testing?

Gary

Quick Reply: HTA3076r v. 3065