Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Car and driver Nov 08 (Evo X MR) super comparo

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car and driver Nov 08 (Evo X MR) super comparo

Moderators, please delete my post. I just noticed there is a similar post on a different section(I noticed it too late). My apologies.

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Oct 8, 2008 at 04:45 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Well the Cobalt SS is also a pretty crazy car for the money.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the cobalt ss is putting alot more to the wheels than a x and weighs less. it sucks the doors off the mr on the straights--that's where is gets the fast times. stock cobalt ss's are putting down between 260 and 270 whp stock and they're running in the mid 12's for afr's with the direct injection. pretty good car for the money.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Deleted

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Oct 8, 2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2008, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

there wasn't any harm in leaving the link....
Old Oct 8, 2008, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ as per your request:

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2937484

Carlos

Last edited by fromWRXtoEVO; Oct 9, 2008 at 05:51 PM.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I might trade my lancer for this or get a MS3...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new Colbalt SS is fast, but I do not regret getting my MS3 instead. The Colbalt looks cheap to me. Sure it may be faster, but that is something that can be fixed quickly with a few basic mods.

Originally Posted by legal-z
the cobalt ss is putting alot more to the wheels than a x and weighs less. it sucks the doors off the mr on the straights--that's where is gets the fast times. stock cobalt ss's are putting down between 260 and 270 whp stock and they're running in the mid 12's for afr's with the direct injection. pretty good car for the money.
If that the case, then Chevy is not telling the truth about the power the SS produces. It is rated at 260hp at the crank.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

I think that is just BS.

The Cobalt SS putting in times faster then the Evo X, STi, 135i, and IS-F.

If power/weight ratio is the key factor, then the Lotus Elise SC should be faster. I just think that it's BS.

I'm not in denial because it's faster then the Evo, but you have to be realistic about. Look at the field that it's up against.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe it's just the best bang for the buck car right now.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 01:20 PM

I call BS as well
GM must have paid for this one...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tvbf1
I think that is just BS.

The Cobalt SS putting in times faster then the Evo X, STi, 135i, and IS-F.

If power/weight ratio is the key factor, then the Lotus Elise SC should be faster. I just think that it's BS.

I'm not in denial because it's faster then the Evo, but you have to be realistic about. Look at the field that it's up against.
I'm confused. Are you saying C&D is fudging the numbers? Also, you seem to be establishing power to weight ratios by the factory numbers, which are clearly inaccurate in certain cases---like the Cobalt. Also, did you ever consider that chevy or some other manufacturer threw in a ringer? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for the factory to reflash a cobalt, up the boost, lean the mixture and make the timing more aggressive. Not that I even like the car, but the fact is, they are a pretty good platform and the engine is capable of decent power.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 01:31 PM

I think your on the right track, C&D probably siding a little more with GM after possibly a large advertising budget, and GM tweeking the tune of there test car. I can understand this car beating the Ralliart in the Road and Track mag, but now the EVO MR come on. But maybe that's all this car has for potential, were as the EVO is just waiting for a new tune to really open up.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by legal-z
I'm confused. Are you saying C&D is fudging the numbers? Also, you seem to be establishing power to weight ratios by the factory numbers, which are clearly inaccurate in certain cases---like the Cobalt. Also, did you ever consider that chevy or some other manufacturer threw in a ringer? I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for the factory to reflash a cobalt, up the boost, lean the mixture and make the timing more aggressive. Not that I even like the car, but the fact is, they are a pretty good platform and the engine is capable of decent power.
I don't want to say it out loud, but yes I am saying that C&D are fudging with the numbers.

The previous Lightning Lap tested the Cobalt SS as well. At that time it put a lap time of 3:20.xx. It had 205 hp. Now, it has 260 hp. A gain of 55 hp does not equate to drop of 7 seconds in lap time.

GM didn't redesign/engineered the chasis. Maybe the suspension, but still 7 sec is a lot!

I'm not arguing that the Cobalt did in fact ran a 3:13 flat. But I just don't think there isn't any other modification to that car. Such as tires, etc......
Old Oct 9, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Don't forget that GM did redesign or enhance the suspension system so 7 seconds isn't out of the question. The tires are probably different as well which would make a big difference.