Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

blown 06 subaru lgt turbo

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2008, 04:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blown 06 subaru lgt turbo

my wifes 06 lgt just blew the turbo do to some banjo filter i never even knew existed. it only has 47k on it and i changed the oil ever 3 to 4k unlike the user manual that said ever 6 to 7k. luckly it was covered by the warrenty and now we have a brand new turbo. i have a question for forced performanceor anyone else who knows, i saw u supply a filterless banjo bolt with ur fp greens and reds. is it ok to remove the filters while running a stock turbo setup. i ask because i am not dealing with this again. stupid subaru engineers.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I read your post shortly after you posted it and didn't answered because I am not too sure you even know what your question is. FP sells an in line filter for some cars and turbo applications that actually restricts the flow in the manner of minimizing the amount of oil needed to lubricated your turbo however this type of in-line filter is often offered on the BB turbos which require minimal oil flow..

You mentioned that your filter caused the failure of the turbo but what really happened? did it get clogged thus restristric flow/lubrication? did it snap thus pooring the oil on the floor instead of routing it to the turbo?

We would like to know what happened to that banjo filter. Typically the banjo bolts are simply hollow with wholes/openings and typically they don't carry filters they are just there to connect a oil and or water line to the turbo cartridge housing. Any pictures?

Carlos
Old Dec 5, 2008, 05:53 PM

It's ok to take the filter out. Subaru released a TSB for Imprezas that recommended removing it due to failures like this. I'm surprised that an '06 even has a filter in the banjo, Subaru allegedly stopped using them mid way through the '05 model year.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
^^ Was it because of flow restriction? I have seen them all, the Mitsubishi VR4/Stealths were notoriously bad for having the tiny oil lines clogged because of owners using cheap oil and because of people shuting the engine down to early while the engine was hot. I can see the filter on the banjo being a flaw on the design.

Carlos
Old Dec 6, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

i do not have pics as i wasnt even shown the filter since everything got sent back to subie since it was under warrenty. all they told me was that the cause was the filter and that it was allowing oil through but it was restricted. now this is my wifes car and it is automatic. so its not like it was overreved or realy beaten on and i used mobile 1 and changed it every 3k. i want to remove them if it will help because hell with the warrenty at this point i dont want to have to deal with it again.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 12:14 PM

Yeah, it was because of restrictions. I'm still really surprised that Subaru left the filter in. You can remove it easily yourself. The filter clogging is pretty common on the 2.5L (STi, Baja, LGT, etc.) even in cases where the car wasn't beat on.

I did a quick search and just happened to find the TSB on Deadbolt's site. check it out, it will explain everything better than I can.

http://www.boostplanet.com/subaruoilstarvation.htm