Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

2009 WRX quicker than EVO X and STi?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
The WRX is only faster in a straight line, I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over this fact. If you actually use your Evo as it was meant to be used (ie. at the track), you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Hopefully this means the STI will get a bump in power (and a better suspension) and this should prompt Mitsubishi to improve the Ralliart (which lets face it, was a jewel-encrusted knife at a gun fight) and the Evo. It's a win-win situation for everyone. If there wasn't this rivalry, our cars wouldn't even exist.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:07 PM
Cyp
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad I really like my car and dont care about some numbers in a magazine. :-P
Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:33 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah the wrx looks like a fun and fast car and I'm going to look at it. But you have to realize that the 4.7 to 60 is done with a redline clutch drop, something I would'nt even consider doing if I got one. It's street start (5-60) is only 6.3, same as the RA and lags behind the cobalts 6.0. I would like to know what a reasonable launch (say about 3.5-4k rpms) would yield.
Old Dec 18, 2008, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by formerSTIowner
I just checked out the new Motor Trend and there was an article called 'cheap speed' or something. They discussed how the new 265hp WRX spanked the STi in accelaration - 0-60 in 4.7 sec. I believe numbers for the X and STi are in the low 5's.
How could that be, when the WRX is basically a lessor-powered STI?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I ran a 13.4x @103mph stock. Dont think the WRX will get close to that.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 09 WRX is fast in a straight line and unfortunately the engines fail almost as fast. Already at least ten owners on NASIOC have reported spun rod bearings with under 3000 miles or less on new 09 WRX's;

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1648372
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:31 AM
JWA
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fastkevin
How could that be, when the WRX is basically a lessor-powered STI?
Gearing. The WRX has a five-speed, so it only needs one shift. The STI has a six-speed, so it needs two. If you compared 0-70mph times the STI would show it's strength. This just shows the limitations in the testing method, not the cars.

The other issue here is that Motor Trend got a really bad time on the STI (and Evo) compared to other sources, and a great time on the WRX compared to other sources.

Still, the WRX is quick for the money.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
I ran a 13.4x @103mph stock. Dont think the WRX will get close to that.

Don't think too hard then....

the '09 WRX will hit 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and cover the 1/4 mile in 13.5 seconds according to Car and Driver.

Again, I'd take an EVO any day, but it's good to see the lower budget power cars getting some good improvements.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
The WRX is only faster in a straight line, I don't understand why people get so bent out of shape over this fact. If you actually use your Evo as it was meant to be used (ie. at the track), you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Hopefully this means the STI will get a bump in power (and a better suspension) and this should prompt Mitsubishi to improve the Ralliart (which lets face it, was a jewel-encrusted knife at a gun fight) and the Evo. It's a win-win situation for everyone. If there wasn't this rivalry, our cars wouldn't even exist.
People get bent out of shape because the VAST majority of evo, sti, wrx, etc owners don't track their cars. I would say the majority of us give it some go from a stoplight or a highway run. After that comes the drag strip. Then probably autocross. Lastly is tracking. Therefore the majority of us will have to worry abit when lining up to one of these.

But you are correct, on a track the evo would destroy the wrx (as it should for $10k more)
Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
The 09 WRX is fast in a straight line and unfortunately the engines fail almost as fast. Already at least ten owners on NASIOC have reported spun rod bearings with under 3000 miles or less on new 09 WRX's;

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1648372
Oh God, not this again. Maybe you should read the recent warning by TTP which suggests that the almighty Evo may be prone to failure if you run less than half a tank of gas.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

I've seen the GSR do 0-60 in 4.6 stock, I do believe the people who test these cars are a bit inconsistent! There's no way the WRX will beat the Evo in a straight line, unless were a professional driver were to drive the Wrx and a unexperienced driver in the EVO.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Why is it impossible that a car with an almost exact power to weight ratio would be as fast or maybe slightly faster than the Evo? I swear at times people on Evom sound like they own Mustangs.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mrbobcat
Yeah the wrx looks like a fun and fast car and I'm going to look at it. But you have to realize that the 4.7 to 60 is done with a redline clutch drop, something I would'nt even consider doing if I got one. It's street start (5-60) is only 6.3, same as the RA and lags behind the cobalts 6.0. I would like to know what a reasonable launch (say about 3.5-4k rpms) would yield.

you don't do redline clutch drops with AWD.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

I love the new WRX.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Why is it impossible that a car with an almost exact power to weight ratio would be as fast or maybe slightly faster than the Evo? I swear at times people on Evom sound like they own Mustangs.
good post.

Quick Reply: 2009 WRX quicker than EVO X and STi?