Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Buschur Racing working on a Bonneville project

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2009, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I/C pipes were finished today, AIT bung has to go in. Finish the exhaust and then some wiring for the AIT and knock sensors. Should be ready to run then.

Most pics tomorrow.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
how come you picked the 6262 over the hta86? witch one s better or makes more power. also how is the mid range for these 2 turbos. maybe thats why it was picked?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sickness...I like odd ball stuff
Old Jan 8, 2009, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

This 6262 is the only one I have ever had and I've been waiting to test it. Mike@awdmotorsports just ran 8's at 154 mph on it so I know it will make more power than we need. I chose it because I think it is going to work well on this 2.4 liter engine.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 03:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidbuschur
We are moving along on the project steadily, working it in between making sure orders leave on time.

Here are some updated pictures of the work as it has progressed. Trent's doing a great job on it.

First picture. Completed header, wastegate set up. We routed the wastegate back into the exhaust on this one. With the power level the truck will make and the fact it is running open exhaust it will not effect the power. As you can see we also put it down street of the turbine outlet and routed it into an ideal location in a bend. The biggest reason for doing this is the rules state no exhaust can dump straight onto the racing surface (salt).

Front mount going in the truck. The plumbing will be short and simple, just how we like it.

Dammit, this manifold setup is so clean.. one day i am going to get off my rocking chair and actually build a RWD 4g63.. I procrastinate too much..
Old Jan 8, 2009, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

David,

This is outside the norm and very cool

I have a question. How much distance do they get to make the top speed run at the salt flats? Or is it not a top speed run, just how fast one goes within a given distance.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

I am not an expert by any means on the subject of Bonneville (some may so I am no expert on anything, haha). From what I understand if you run under 200 mph you run the short course, which is 3 miles. Your speed is measured between the 2 mile and 2-1/4 mile marker and then your absolute highest speed is measured at 3 miles. I THINK that's how it works

The goal for the truck, for now, is 175 mph.

As we are building this we are paying attention to getting air to the radiator, which you can see we've put the FMIC as far up in the core support as we could. The lower half is open to the radiator now and so are the cut outs in the bumper.

Mike, the owner and I are discussing some other ideas now.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 04:05 PM
Former Sponsor

I am not an expert by any means on the subject of Bonneville (some may so I am no expert on anything, haha). From what I understand if you run under 200 mph you run the short course, which is 3 miles. Your speed is measured between the 2 mile and 2-1/4 mile marker and then your absolute highest speed is measured at 3 miles. I THINK that's how it works

The goal for the truck, for now, is 175 mph.

As we are building this we are paying attention to getting air to the radiator, which you can see we've put the FMIC as far up in the core support as we could. The lower half is open to the radiator now and so are the cut outs in the bumper.

Mike, the owner and I are discussing some other ideas now.
I have never run Bonneville myself but i think you are correct.. the only thing Id like to add is unlike the standing mile which i have run several times, the speed is run in both directions and Averaged..

Mike
Old Jan 8, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Cool build, all business....

Don't suppose you've thought of running an Evo at a mile event or flats?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Cool, thanks David and Mike.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I've thought about Bonneville most of my adult life, just never done it. Back in 1993 my father and I drove my 1991 Eagle Talon non stop across country to compete in the Blue Blocker 100, also known as the Silver State Classic. We placed 3rd in our class and drove it back home non stop. While we were on the way out there we detoured to Bonneville and it was covered in atleast a foot of water. I took a very cool picture of the car, in front of the Bonneville sign just as the sun was going down.

As for the standing mile. My goal this year with my RS is to first put the car into the 8's, if and when that happens I would like to run it in the mile. My only goal is to see it go 200 mph, nothing more, no intentions of going after Mike R., just think it would be cool to have a street car that could run 8's and go 200 in the standing mile. After that, I will probably no longer race the RS and just use it to enjoy 100% of the time on the street.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I've thought about Bonneville most of my adult life, just never done it. Back in 1993 my father and I drove my 1991 Eagle Talon non stop across country to compete in the Blue Blocker 100, also known as the Silver State Classic. We placed 3rd in our class and drove it back home non stop. While we were on the way out there we detoured to Bonneville and it was covered in atleast a foot of water. I took a very cool picture of the car, in front of the Bonneville sign just as the sun was going down.

As for the standing mile. My goal this year with my RS is to first put the car into the 8's, if and when that happens I would like to run it in the mile. My only goal is to see it go 200 mph, nothing more, no intentions of going after Mike R., just think it would be cool to have a street car that could run 8's and go 200 in the standing mile. After that, I will probably no longer race the RS and just use it to enjoy 100% of the time on the street.
Cool story Dave , 8's and 200 MPH sounds awesome. Good luck !
Old Jan 9, 2009, 06:12 AM
Evolving Member

this is just straight up bada$$

i had a chance to buy one of these a few years ago for next to nothing... i am *still* kicking myself...
Old Jan 9, 2009, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Nice.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 06:25 AM
Account Disabled

awesome project, can't wait to see it done...

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing working on a Bonneville project