Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Buschur Racing working on a Bonneville project

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2009, 04:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry about the dyno numbers Mike. I have to get Mustang out here to look at the dyno. I've put it off long enough.

We are going to try and make it to Maxton. I hope it goes faster than you expect it to.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow. differnt and very very cool. im watching this topic
Old Aug 17, 2009, 10:36 AM

Well Guys,
Speedweek 09 is over, My Mitsubishi Mighty Max is now the Class Record Holder for a 2.0-3.0L Blown Modified Mini-Pickup at 137.400MPH.

Why so Slow they say.... My first run I aborted after the 2 mile mark at 141.799 MPH because my Lower Radiator hose came off. Self inflicted wound, The clamp was never tightened. But It still qualifed me for a return run to get the 2 way average and set the record. Off to impound for the night.

Up at 4:30 the next morning to ready the car for the return, those runs are made at first light before the regular qualifying begins. I make my return run, pulling hard in 5th gearin the 2 mile( out of 3) and bang! no more 5th gear!, pull it back down to 4th and wind it out to 7200RPM. for a 133.001 MPH run. averaged together, New record at 137.400 MPH.

back in the Pits I discover there isn't 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th or reverse. You Transmission guys know what that means, stripped the teeth of the input shaft gear. Confirmed by the long flat thin metal pieces in the tranny drain oil. No exchange Tranny's in Salt Lake City, no parts for a Rebuild, bummer... on the trailer with a soft record. 1,800 miles back to Ohio

So the next weakest link is found, driveshaft, rear gears and axleshafts are the next candidate's for breakage... Motor has a monster midrange pull, I almost got sideways in 3rd on the second run, salt is a little slippery, got to watch the power application. Like I told David, the pull thru the 2-6K rpm just puts a smile on your face.

Mike Meierle
#847 F/BMMP
SCTA-BNI/Gear Grinders/Sidewinders/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Bonneville Record Holder
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is strangling the power on the top end?
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Very nice Mike, the record isn't as high as you wanted it to be but you still SET A RECORD! That's more than most of the people that show up there can say.

pwrofturbo, the engine is a SOHC 2.4 liter. We turbo charged it and seeing as how I had no idea how the engine would hold up, the head or the head gasket, it was initially on tuned at 7 psi to be safe. After finding out at Maxton the clutch couldn't even hold 7 psi the truck was down for a long time trying to get a custom clutch built. Then at Bonneville with no other tuning the boost was taken to 14 psi. Then you can read he blew a radiator hose and had no 5th gear. It's not lacking power up top, just couldn't run it to it's potential.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 02:10 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LSR Mike
Well Guys,
Speedweek 09 is over, My Mitsubishi Mighty Max is now the Class Record Holder for a 2.0-3.0L Blown Modified Mini-Pickup at 137.400MPH.

Why so Slow they say.... My first run I aborted after the 2 mile mark at 141.799 MPH because my Lower Radiator hose came off. Self inflicted wound, The clamp was never tightened. But It still qualifed me for a return run to get the 2 way average and set the record. Off to impound for the night.

Up at 4:30 the next morning to ready the car for the return, those runs are made at first light before the regular qualifying begins. I make my return run, pulling hard in 5th gearin the 2 mile( out of 3) and bang! no more 5th gear!, pull it back down to 4th and wind it out to 7200RPM. for a 133.001 MPH run. averaged together, New record at 137.400 MPH.

back in the Pits I discover there isn't 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th or reverse. You Transmission guys know what that means, stripped the teeth of the input shaft gear. Confirmed by the long flat thin metal pieces in the tranny drain oil. No exchange Tranny's in Salt Lake City, no parts for a Rebuild, bummer... on the trailer with a soft record. 1,800 miles back to Ohio

So the next weakest link is found, driveshaft, rear gears and axleshafts are the next candidate's for breakage... Motor has a monster midrange pull, I almost got sideways in 3rd on the second run, salt is a little slippery, got to watch the power application. Like I told David, the pull thru the 2-6K rpm just puts a smile on your face.

Mike Meierle
#847 F/BMMP
SCTA-BNI/Gear Grinders/Sidewinders/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Bonneville Record Holder
I know it's not as good of a number as you wanted, but congrats just the same. Get everything fixed and you'll have no problem blowing that record away
Old Aug 17, 2009, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats on the accomplishment!

So what if its not what you wanted, you go faster next year.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:05 PM

I'm Back!

With a New Top Speed.

The record now is 154.691MPH. average of 2 runs. I got greedy on my tune for the second run and took out too much fuel.

Seen this before? Engine mods from a year ago.The engine was still sealed from last years record runs. A new twin disc clutch from ShepTrans with a bit of shoe horn work to get it in the bellhousing, and a rebuilt Transmission (all new internals) and some more Dyno time from David (upping the boost to 20lbs) is responsible for the speed gains.

Whole Truck on the Salt in Impound.

Now we have to figure out how to top this for next year...
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Shouldn't be too hard to top this years record, great job on this years runs though!! New bad *** radiator is being built. 175+ next year!
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Shouldn't be too hard to top this years record, great job on this years runs though!! New bad *** radiator is being built. 175+ next year!
Yeah, gotta beat that EVO record of 172 and change! with a Parts Runner Truck!
You'll have to change your sig!
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's awesome, I used to want to make a mini truck out of one of those when I was in grade school
Old Oct 27, 2010, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe we can take my '32 out there next year Mike! I'll need some tech help to get it legal, you know anyone!?
Old Oct 28, 2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by davidbuschur
Maybe we can take my '32 out there next year Mike! I'll need some tech help to get it legal, you know anyone!?

I just Might... My first ride on the Salt was a'32 on '29 rails.