Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Car names and the culture they can reflect

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2009, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car names and the culture they can reflect

now i was reading a post named "where do the names bluebird and fairlady originate?" and it spurred my brain a little bit into some hard thinking.

ok lets take japanese car names..it might SEEM like they didnt care, but as i stated in that previous post they were translated from japanese and we dont know the real meaning behind it. and from what im seeing they are named after Shinto beliefs i.e for a good example the Mitsubishi Eclipse...in shinto belief the eclipse is the time when supposedly spiritual power is at its strongest.
Fairlady might refer to the Shinto belief that pure girls aka virgins are vessels of the gods...refering to all such named cars as a vessel of the gods (yes the 350z is worthy of this lol)
Bluebird in their belief is a messenger of the gods

now these were old beliefs...moving on to the 1990+ age the names AGAIN are in their "beliefs" but not Shinto...but maybe cultural beliefs

i.e. for this is the Nissan Skyline (ok fine the skyline has been around since the 70s but hey why not), it might refer to the Sky, the sky is everywhere you go and no matter how fast or how far you go...the sky is always ahead of you. fitting for such a beast of a car =P, or a city skyline...to which is the pride of every inhabitant of the city. hence this car is the pride of japan so to speak

another example is the Nissan Sentra and Maxima. Nissan Sentra can be seen as a Centrum, which is the body of a vertabrae, aka the backbone, and the Nissan Sentra IS essentially a backbone for the Nissan lineup. the Maxima is the max of its sedan lineup in terms of power and luxury i believe. the most out of a car and the final or end.

now when it comes to american cars. basic american attitude...all names after fast things or anythign related to power

Mustang, Firebird, Thunderbird, Charger, Camaro, Nova (which is a huge frickin explosion when a red supergiant star dies), Solstice (old religious belief where the solstice was considered to be the time when the sun or moon are at their full strength)

now Europe, Volkswagen is unique in its names....Rabbit and Beetle for example. a rabbit is a small fast mammal but when pushed too hard its heart would explode...not trying to make fun of the car but im guessing thats what could happen to it =P. a beetle...its something that every person does not want in their house. personally i wouldnt want a Volkswagen beetle in my driveway either .

now when it comes to Lamborghini and Ferrari. high end rich people cars like these often symbolize something of either much greater power like the Lamborghini Diablo (devil in english..who is good's eternal enemy) or names that have a aristocratic and often fancy-ish type name to it lol...this area could use more research by me since i dont know

feel free to comment on
Old Jan 2, 2009, 02:01 PM
Evolving Member

skylines have been around since the late fifties im pretty sure.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_skyline

fyi. interesting read though.
Old Jan 2, 2009, 06:07 PM

Cliffs?
Old Jan 2, 2009, 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

" beetle...its something that every person does not want in their house. personally i wouldnt want a Volkswagen beetle in my driveway either" LOL