Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

I went to the dark side... 06 STI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2009, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice car!! i had an 06 blue w/gold rims
Old Jan 24, 2009, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ban him! Traitor!

I'm just kidding. In all seriousness, nice looking car, but I have to aggree with the guy who was talking about switching from STi's to Evo's. I aggree with his thoughts on the interior, the IX interior is SOOOOOO much nicer than the STi. It's why I wouldn't buy and VIII & almost ended up in a STi myself.

Either way, we're all AWD/4door/boosted brothers...so it's all good. Enjoy your STi. I love the white color and gold rims. Looks great.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Nice car, I actually wanted a white car since gold rims look wicked with white. I'm just waiting for the inevitable "Slowbaru" or "Subarus are for homos" comments.

SLOWBARU! There you go. Happy now? Nice car dude!
Old Jan 24, 2009, 06:32 PM
SME
Evolved Member

STi are great cars

The evo can handle long drives great though, i go to Maryland to Illinois 5-6 times a year
Old Jan 24, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Nice STI, congrats!
When I was looking for an Evo I had a hard time finding one with no miles on it. The STI would have been my second choice if I didn't find the Evo with no miles on it.

I think Evos are definitely reliable cars as long as you keep them stock or with minor mods such as: intake, exhaust. Any vehicle that's heavily modified is potentially sacrificing reliability. Just my opinion.

Last edited by Mitsu_Evo_MR; Jan 24, 2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 07:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man don't change the wheels, I love the gold BBS's on white.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 07:09 PM
Account Disabled

nicee
Old Jan 24, 2009, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cybertrax
The Evo is the "Dark side", nice STi
Thats what I thought. Nice buy. As a previous owner of an 05 sti I thought they killed the design of the sti after the 04-05 years IMO. How many miles?
Old Jan 24, 2009, 07:35 PM

I'm siding w/ the OP on the interior. while the evo's may appear "cooler" it seems very cheap when compared to the STi. If you grab the evo seat at the upper bolsters and push and pull it will deform a lot. The STi feel's more solid and has side impact bags. while the color scheme of the interior may be missing the point it still gives a more refined fit and finish that the EVO.

Last edited by SpineDoc; Jan 24, 2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 600RR
Man don't change the wheels, I love the gold BBS's on white.
get a set of gold RSs or bronze RZs and lower it... go wingless or WRX winged and it will look insane!
thats what I would do if I got a white STi
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

LOL...Evo's (Evil's) are always considered the dark side...not the Sti's.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

VERY NICE LOOKING STi......NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS!!!
Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Thread should be deleted, haha.
Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:29 PM
Account Disabled

for you dude...

http://forums.nasioc.com/
Old Jan 24, 2009, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
well... I see this thread and having recently got rid of my 07 STi for an EVO IX MR, its fitting that I post a few comments of my own.

first of all, the interior comment... I think its completely ridiculous, no offense to the OP but if you think that the smurf blue interior of any 04-07 STi looks better than an EVO VIIIs... you must have your head re-examined. Even the blue of the EVO VIII's seats is still better looking than the STi's interior for those years which is just terrible and I do not see how people down talk the EVOs so much. And that is just comparing the VIII's, as for the IX's its no comparison. My IX's interior is ten times better than my 07 STis interior, and the EVO's Recaros blow away the cheap USDM STI seats. They are terrible and look like crap. The only interior that compares is the 07 STI Limiteds which is really nice but there are only a mere 800 of those made so good luck finding some.

The reliability issue comparing both cars, like someone else said, put 500 HP on an STI, and trust me you will have issues. I have been on the STI forums since for almost 3 years, and plenty of STi threads with blown motors and as for the 07 STi, the stock ECU is complete poop.... even with the AP, the hesitation issue is absurd and its one of the main reason I sold my STi. The 08s also seem to have similar issue which Subaru supposedly fixed. The biggest thing the STI has going for it is the transmission. At least you got an 06 STi which proved to be more reliable than the 07. I feel the main issue why EVOs have gotten such a bad rep as far as reliability goes, its the fact that people do not take care of them properly and beat the crap out of them. I do agree that Mitsu dealers can be a pain but there are plenty of STi threads that show that there a good amount of Subaru dealers that are not mod friendly and will threaten you with voiding your warranty when you show up with slightly modded car.

Sorry to go on a rant but, if you would of gotten your EVO if you would of kept the car a bit more stock, or go easier with the modding than you probably would of not had as many issues with it. Try to get the same amount of mods on your STi and see how many issues you develop.

The biggest plus to the STI is the drivetrain and I do feel the EVOs are weak in this department.

I thought switching to the EVO community is the "Darkside"

Good luck with the car, I always thought the White was nice. Like I said earlier, at least you didn't get an 07.

LOL I beg to differ. I FREEKIN love evo's but the evo VIII blue seats are FUGLY!! I think you need your head examined...hahah

AWESOME purchase. I have always had a weakness for the 06-07 white w/ gold STi's!

GOOD LUCK!